Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Why are you so hostile. A forum member is trying to help you out and you call it a crappy answer? If you don't like it, go bark up Apple's tree instead, but be respectful of those trying to help you out.

I'm trying to get all revved up on this again 3 months later . . . here goes. :)

The forum member wasn't really trying to "help out", IMHO (nor was it my request for help). They were chiding someone else that the only way to do it is Apple's way. Many of us don't accept that. Apple's general approach of forcing a certain workflow can be frustrating when it's simply not optimal.

And for the record, my intent was that it was a crappy answer on Apple's part since the poster is right that it's clearly what Apple intends and preaches. I would have thought that was pretty clear in my rant against Apple.
[doublepost=1453846942][/doublepost]
what's so jacked about it? works great for me and my family
See my previous posts in this thread for issues with Family Sharing including links to articles criticizing it.

As my mom would say, "It's a good start", but doesn't get us nearly to where many of us need/want to be.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
As my mom would say, "It's a good start", but doesn't get us nearly to where many of us need/want to be.

definitely sounds like you're in the minority. i've heard nothing but good things from people about family sharing. and i've had zero issues with it on my end.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
definitely sounds like you're in the minority. i've heard nothing but good things from people about family sharing. and i've had zero issues with it on my end.
I guess power users are in the minority by default, so sure. But many have written about trying Family Sharing but having to quit for all the things it does not do right. Just for a sampler you can't share in-app purchases, no iTunes Match, no actual working shared iCloud Photo Library (no, manually selecting pictures for one folder doesn't cut it), no shared iCloud storage (yes they still want you to buy separate buckets for each person in a family, moronic) and developers have to opt in, meaning you can't rely on an app actually being shared within a family.

If you have an incredibly simple setup and dont ask for much from it, maybe you can fly blind and not know what you're missing, but for a power user who actually wants to, you know, share everything with a family it's just inadequate.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
I guess power users are in the minority by default, so sure. But many have written about trying Family Sharing but having to quit for all the things it does not do right. Just for a sampler you can't share in-app purchases, no iTunes Match, no actual working shared iCloud Photo Library (no, manually selecting pictures for one folder doesn't cut it), no shared iCloud storage (yes they still want you to buy separate buckets for each person in a family, moronic) and developers have to opt in, meaning you can't rely on an app actually being shared within a family.

If you have an incredibly simple setup and dont ask for much from it, maybe you can fly blind and not know what you're missing, but for a power user who actually wants to, you know, share everything with a family it's just inadequate.
my girlfriend and i share all of our purchases, sharing photos is super easy by just adding to our shared family album. and if you have separate iCloud accounts you get your own storage and don't have to share. i guess i'll just never understand. i've never come across an app that doesn't allow family sharing either.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
my girlfriend and i share all of our purchases, sharing photos is super easy by just adding to our shared family album. and if you have separate iCloud accounts you get your own storage and don't have to share. i guess i'll just never understand. i've never come across an app that doesn't allow family sharing either.

You are actually the use case I have mentioned before is the best fit for this. A group of loosely connected individuals that don't actually want to share everything. Not like an an actual family would, so if it works for you - great, but you have a simple setup with simple requirements (you blow by the only 5 GB free limitation in iCloud as though it's no big deal as an example - I pay for a TB of space, mostly used - should I have to buy that across every account on my family sharing accounts?). I just described several ways that it's not adequate. Not sure what's hard to understand about the stuff I listed. So you can't share any of the stuff I listed. Oh and I hope you keep that girlfriend for a long time. You get only 2 switches from a family sharing group during a year or you're locked out of any new one for the rest of the year. They don't mention that, do they?

There are all sorts of small issues you wouldn't think of. Like developers don't think to opt in a free app. However if the free app is not opted in, then when you try to update on someone else's device, Apple doesn't think you have a receipt for it and wont update it.

And I HATE the limitation of sharing a single folder I have to hunt and peck for each and every picture I want to add into it. That is literally the opposite of the entire idea of iCloud Photo Library. There is nothing super easy about it compared to iCloud Photo Library.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
(you blow by the only 5 GB free limitation in iCloud as though it's no big deal as an example - I pay for a TB of space, mostly used - should I have to buy that across every account on my family sharing accounts?).

i have the 200 GB plan and she has the 50 GB plan. i wouldn't want her stuff backed up to my account. don't want her contacts, etc.

you're getting a little nitpicky with the changing families deal. how often do you think people would want to change families? more than two families per year? i don't see that affecting very many at all

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
i have the 200 GB plan and she has the 50 GB plan. i wouldn't want her stuff backed up to my account. don't want her contacts, etc.

you're getting a little nitpicky with the changing families deal. how often do you think people would want to change families? more than two families per year? i don't see that affecting very many at all
See, sharing everything is precisely what we want to do. We're a family and share everything. I need all her contacts because they are my contacts too. There have literally been dozens of times that having her friends contacts in my phone has been useful if not critical.

I want all the pictures that we take to show up automatically for both of us without having to do anything. I travel internationally for work quite a bit and it is convenient to have all my pictures show up automatically for her so she can see everything I am experiencing without me having to go through and select pictures at the end of a long jetlagged day. Plus she can create little albums for us based off the pictures that she likes. If I was picking pictures manually and putting them in a shared folder, I may not even choose the ones she would prefer. Many of the albums she makes includes pictures I wouldn't have chosen on my own to put in a shared folder.

Agreed, changing shouldn't be an issue for most, but they don't even tell you.

Buying separate iCloud storage irks me at a philosophical level. It's less painful now, but it used to cost double. I DO want all their stuff backed on one account.

Again - I think your situation is ideal for what Apple has set up for family sharing. But for an actual family - it's as though Apple doesn't even know how one works.

Reactions: dk001

alphonseM

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
I'm trying to get all revved up on this again 3 months later . . . here goes. :)

The forum member wasn't really trying to "help out", IMHO (nor was it my request for help). They were chiding someone else that the only way to do it is Apple's way. Many of us don't accept that. Apple's general approach of forcing a certain workflow can be frustrating when it's simply not optimal.
That's where I think you got it wrong - in line with the norm here, he *was* trying to help out. Most people don't consider this forum as the go to place for rants directed at Apple at all. But I certainly also understand where you're coming from. It seems to be a cultural thing on the rise that people find it socially accepted to have their immature fits, their child-like kicking and screaming take place in the public. Reddit, Facebook et al. is no different.

And for the record, my intent was that it was a crappy answer on Apple's part since the poster is right that it's clearly what Apple intends and preaches. I would have thought that was pretty clear in my rant against Apple.
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Apple has given you no official answer - certainly not one posted here. What you did get was an answer from another user of this forum. And you even replied to his post. Look, if this is a problem to you, then take it up with Apple, post your rants on Facebook or set up a blog with the sole purpose of venting. Just, please don't do it here. You're just directing your anger at the wrong people.

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
I think your situation is ideal for what Apple has set up for family sharing. But for an actual family - it's as though Apple doesn't even know how one works.

nah, i think you're the exception. i don't think most families want all their stuff on one account. but i'm glad it works for you.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
That's where I think you got it wrong - in line with the norm here, he *was* trying to help out. Most people don't consider this forum as the go to place for rants directed at Apple at all. But I certainly also understand where you're coming from. It seems to be a cultural thing on the rise that people find it socially accepted to have their immature fits, their child-like kicking and screaming take place in the public. Reddit, Facebook et al. is no different.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. Apple has given you no official answer - certainly not one posted here. What you did get was an answer from another user of this forum. And you even replied to his post. Look, if this is a problem to you, then take it up with Apple, post your rants on Facebook or set up a blog with the sole purpose of venting. Just, please don't do it here. You're just directing your anger at the wrong people.

It actually is Apple's official response to not share iCloud accounts - I understand that. I don't accept it as a workable solution. (see http://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html Section IV (A) ). I presume they don't bother to outline all the ways you can run afoul with sharing it since they say not to.

I can understand why you think the original response was helpful given your general condescending attitude - you apparently don't even notice it in others. Most all of us who share iCloud accounts KNOW it's not what Apple intended but we do anyway because of the benefits and Apple's refusal to allow what we consider an acceptable solution. So it's snarky to just tell someone to stop doing what they have been doing. Pointing out why the response is not an workable solution for many is an acceptable form of discussion. You can certainly disagree if you like.

There's really no point in continuing. You appear to like to pretend you are the mature parent and I'm the immature child. Have fun with your straw man. But just so we are clear, I refuse your simplistic and self-serving characterization. I have explicitly stated why I reply in these threads and it is to provide others with similar issues the context that they are not alone in having these issues and that others are struggling with iCloud usage in a family setting as well.

I can't imagine what useful point you had in replying to me in the first place, so please take your own advice.
[doublepost=1453927655][/doublepost]
nah, i think you're the exception. i don't think most families want all their stuff on one account. but i'm glad it works for you.
I get your point, but I'm wondering if you're viewpoint is influenced by the fact you aren't actually in a family. Meshing yourself entirely with someone else's life tends to give you a different perspective on what sharing is.

Clearly Apple is on your side though :)

Last edited:

dennysanders

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2015
I get your point, but I'm wondering if you're viewpoint is influenced by the fact you aren't actually in a family. Meshing yourself entirely with someone else's life tends to give you a different perspective on what sharing is.

Clearly Apple is on your side though :)

so you think once my girlfriend and i get married and have a kid or two, we're gonna want to share the same iCloud account? not sure how changing our relationship title would change anything

alphonseM

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
I can't imagine what useful point you had in replying to me in the first place, so please take your own advice.
I think my point was quite clear: your tone of voice was rude and unbearable. I'm glad to see that you've cleaned up your act.

aszlam

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Alpharetta, Ga
I am not sure if anyone got my response?
My wife and I have shared Contacts, Calendars (multi-color), Notes, etc. since 2008.
With the release of iOS9, Apple introduced 'iCloud Drive' option where calls and other stats are stored.
This creates a problem where incoming and outgoing calls show up on both - my iPhone and my wife's under 'Recent' calls in the Phone app.
To solve this issues do as following;
Go to settings, scroll down and select iCloud, then turn OFF the first option called 'iCloud Drive'.
Doing so will allow each iPhone to show ONLY its originated and received calls in the Phone app, under 'Recent'.
All the best,

DoodleJinx

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
I'm not sure of people are still looking for a way to solve this problem. The fix is to call your service provider and disable NumberSync. Apple and AT&T added this feature in iOS 9.2 I think.

I have 3 iPhones on one 1 shared iCloud account and have been having this problem since I upgraded to 9.2. One of the iPhones is on Sprint and the other 2 on AT&T. I was having this issue only with the AT&T phones.

If you are not on AT&T, your service provider might call this NumberSync feature by a different name. Take a look at the features that are active on your account and see if you have something similar, and deactivate it. Hope this helps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not sure of people are still looking for a way to solve this problem. The fix is to call your service provider and disable NumberSync. Apple and AT&T added this feature in iOS 9.2 I think.

I have 3 iPhones on one 1 shared iCloud account and have been having this problem since I upgraded to 9.2. One of the iPhones is on Sprint and the other 2 on AT&T. I was having this issue only with the AT&T phones.

If you are not on AT&T, your service provider might call this NumberSync feature by a different name. Take a look at the features that are active on your account and see if you have something similar, and deactivate it. Hope this helps.
Seems like people have been discussing this since 9.0, meaning it not really dependent on that. These days perhaps it might have some role for some people, but it generally hasn't been it as it's been around before that feature and for people who don't have that offered from their carrier or use it even if it might be offered.

llamalabama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
Seems like people have been discussing this since 9.0, meaning it not really dependent on that. These days perhaps it might have some role for some people, but it generally hasn't been it as it's been around before that feature and for people who don't have that offered from their carrier or use it even if it might be offered.

Agreed, not an AT&T customer. Definitely an iOS feature. It's either an undocumented feature of iCloud (Drive?) syncing or related to corrupted (intwined) iCloud backups.

Steve1nola

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2016
See, sharing everything is precisely what we want to do. We're a family and share everything. I need all her contacts because they are my contacts too. There have literally been dozens of times that having her friends contacts in my phone has been useful if not critical.

I want all the pictures that we take to show up automatically for both of us without having to do anything. I travel internationally for work quite a bit and it is convenient to have all my pictures show up automatically for her so she can see everything I am experiencing without me having to go through and select pictures at the end of a long jetlagged day. Plus she can create little albums for us based off the pictures that she likes. If I was picking pictures manually and putting them in a shared folder, I may not even choose the ones she would prefer. Many of the albums she makes includes pictures I wouldn't have chosen on my own to put in a shared folder.

Agreed, changing shouldn't be an issue for most, but they don't even tell you.

Buying separate iCloud storage irks me at a philosophical level. It's less painful now, but it used to cost double. I DO want all their stuff backed on one account.

Again - I think your situation is ideal for what Apple has set up for family sharing. But for an actual family - it's as though Apple doesn't even know how one works.

I also had the problem, I have always shared the same I'd. All iPhones and I pads are all listed on find my iPhone, all contacts are automatically updated on all devices and computers, multiple work computers, add or delete a contact, it autos to all other devices. Never had a problem till the update. Don't really care about the space can always upgrade to more space, share the account I'd has always worked for us. The call log out s just very annoying.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
One thing to note, if I haven't already said it here, is that you CAN have more than one iCloud account established on a device / computer. One, your primary, will have all of your information in it. The secondary (perhaps a community account you share with your family for contacts, notes, calendars, etc.) will sync everything except your photos, documents, keychain, back to Mac and find my Mac / iPhone - all of which logically belong to only a primary account. With photo sharing, that's as easy has creating a shared album. I do this exactly for various account reasons as well as using family sharing. It may not be what 100% of people want, but let's face it - that never happens anywhere. This is not a bad setup. It's rather flexible if you leverage its capabilities.
iCloud photo sharing - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786
iCloud - create a shared album - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12068

Footnote: There are 4 primary log in locations - you can actually get away with sharing everything (including photos) if you log in to Settings> iTunes / AppStore & iCloud with the same ID as your partners and just signing in to FaceTime and Messages with your own ID so you don't get each other's calls and messages. As much as you share, I'm sure you don't want that.

Reactions: llamalabama

llamalabama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
One thing to note, if I haven't already said it here, is that you CAN have more than one iCloud account established on a device / computer. One, your primary, will have all of your information in it. The secondary (perhaps a community account you share with your family for contacts, notes, calendars, etc.) will sync everything except your photos, documents, keychain, back to Mac and find my Mac / iPhone - all of which logically belong to only a primary account. With photo sharing, that's as easy has creating a shared album. I do this exactly for various account reasons as well as using family sharing. It may not be what 100% of people want, but let's face it - that never happens anywhere. This is not a bad setup. It's rather flexible if you leverage its capabilities.
iCloud photo sharing - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202786
iCloud - create a shared album - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12068

Footnote: There are 4 primary log in locations - you can actually get away with sharing everything (including photos) if you log in to Settings> iTunes / AppStore & iCloud with the same ID as your partners and just signing in to FaceTime and Messages with your own ID so you don't get each other's calls and messages. As much as you share, I'm sure you don't want that.

Bingo - I think this is the solution for many people if they are ok with separate primary iCloud (inc. iCloud Drive) and iCloud Photo Libraries. Incidentally, iCloud Drive and Photo Library are the two reasons I continue to put up with the shared call log.

Command

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
USA
Bingo - I think this is the solution for many people if they are ok with separate primary iCloud (inc. iCloud Drive) and iCloud Photo Libraries. Incidentally, iCloud Drive and Photo Library are the two reasons I continue to put up with the shared call log.

Indeed, however, you do realize that the shared call log comes only from being signed in to FaceTime with the same ID - an obstacle easily overcome while still sharing everything else. There are four locations to sign in. iTunes / AppStore, iCloud (and all it's sub services which can be leveraged with a secondary and selectively enabling services on each), Messages, and FaceTime. With 2 devices signed in to the same ID in FaceTime (settings, FaceTime). Moreover, If you want to stop forwarding entirely, you can do so by tapping Settings on your iPhone, tapping FaceTime, and then flicking the iPhone Cellular Calls switch to off. You can always enable it again later if you want the feature back. You can choose whether or not you want your device to make and receive iPhone calls. I'm still having trouble seeing how this is an ongoing problem, honestly.

llamalabama

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
Indeed, however, you do realize that the shared call log comes only from being signed in to FaceTime with the same ID - an obstacle easily overcome while still sharing everything else. There are four locations to sign in. iTunes / AppStore, iCloud (and all it's sub services which can be leveraged with a secondary and selectively enabling services on each), Messages, and FaceTime. With 2 devices signed in to the same ID in FaceTime (settings, FaceTime). Moreover, If you want to stop forwarding entirely, you can do so by tapping Settings on your iPhone, tapping FaceTime, and then flicking the iPhone Cellular Calls switch to off. You can always enable it again later if you want the feature back. You can choose whether or not you want your device to make and receive iPhone calls. I'm still having trouble seeing how this is an ongoing problem, honestly.

Honestly, thanks for the tip. In my particular situation (explained in a few replies prior to the one you're responding to), we share a common iTunes/App Store and iCloud Apple ID but separate iMessage and FaceTime accounts. Call forwarding isn't an issue since we haven't set it up between each other's devices, but shared call history definitely happens. In recent iOS releases, history sync is getting more consistent, so I think it's probably an iCloud "feature".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.