Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yes. My phone connection with my car broke today as a result of upgrading my Macs to Yosemite last night. Had to disable Handoff on the Macs and go through the steps again on the iPhone to get it all working again.

I don't need Handoff turned on as its a feature I don't wish to use. Continuity works over BT. So does pairing the two together (Mac & iPhone) still break the iOS/car connections?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I don't need Handoff turned on as its a feature I don't wish to use. Continuity works over BT. So does pairing the two together (Mac & iPhone) still break the iOS/car connections?

Ah, OK with you. I'm not sure on that. I'm need to look into that as I always think of Handoff and continuity as much the same thing.

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
My iPhone 6 worked with no problems on my fords Bluetooth, that is until I updated my Imac to Yosemite. Now I am in the Bluetooth woes group as well. Connects fine but no call audio.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My iPhone 6 worked with no problems on my fords Bluetooth, that is until I updated my Imac to Yosemite. Now I am in the Bluetooth woes group as well. Connects fine but no call audio.

I was having similar trouble in the Fusion when I tried to make a call using the iPhone, while connected to SYNC. The audio never came through the car and I had to hang up and just use the phone itself.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm starting to get frustrated with this junk. Everything was nearly perfect with iOS 7. Now that I have iOS 8 (8.0.2) the whole car/SYNC experience has gone down the tubes.

I wish I never reset all settings yesterday on the iPhone. I had everything finely tuned the way I wanted it for the last 7 years and now it's all jacked up. :mad: I thought I had it all back the way it was, but I keep finding things not the way I want them and its annoying.

I got in the car today and had to reset SYNC to factory settings and forget the iPhone pairing. Once I paired it up again, I thought all was well. But it tried redialing someone again on its own. Then later on while driving home a text message came in and it was never pushed to the car and I only found out when I looked at the lock screen. :mad:

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I got in the car today and had to reset SYNC to factory settings and forget the iPhone pairing. Once I paired it up again, I thought all was well. But it tried redialing someone again on its own. Then later on while driving home a text message came in and it was never pushed to the car and I only found out when I looked at the lock screen. :mad:

Since you deleted your bluetooth profile in your phone, you may have forgotten to reselect Notifications in the bluetooth profile setting screen and/or select to receive notifications in the car's settings as well. That's the way it works for my GMC Acadia Denali.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since you deleted your bluetooth profile in your phone, you may have forgotten to reselect Notifications in the bluetooth profile setting screen and/or select to receive notifications in the car's settings as well. That's the way it works for my GMC Acadia Denali.

Ah yes! Thank you. That notification was disabled in BT settings for SYNC. I bet it will work now.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
8.1 partly fixed my issues. I can now make phone calls with the sound through the speakers, although I now have to connect the phone manually each time. But at least I can now make phone calls again..

fidoak

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
8.1 dont fix my problem.

for me work only in facetime/skype calls.

GSM calls dont work, i cant hear and me cant hear.

Music streaming work perfect.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Fixed for me. For those with issues try the following:

Un pair from the car and then repair.

If that fails, reset your network settings and re pair to the car again.

Finally, if the above fail, try a reset all settings and then re pair to the car again.

Apothacarion

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
USA
I have a 2013 Honda Civic and the bluetooth connection will randomly disconnect for 3-5 seconds and then reconnect automatically.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Well, marginal improvement. I can now make calls from the bluetooth, but there's a huge amount of audio interference, and the call cuts off from the bluetooth (not the phone itself) after about a minute

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
8.1 solved the issues for me. Deleted and re-paired it today, all is back to normal.

petersbud

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Ford Sync

My iphone 6 ios 8.1.1 will still not play music. It connects and looks like it is playing but there is no sound. The phone function works just fine.

I spoke with Apple support for a total of 2 hours. They did not acknowledge that this problem had ever been reported.

In the end, they recommended that I restore the phone to factory defaults. 2 hours later, I have the same problem.

petersbud

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Ford Sync Update

My iphone 6 ios 8.1.1 will still not play music. It connects and looks like it is playing but there is no sound. The phone function works just fine.

I spoke with Apple support for a total of 2 hours. They did not acknowledge that this problem had ever been reported.

In the end, they recommended that I restore the phone to factory defaults. 2 hours later, I have the same problem.

So today I visited the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store. After listening intently to my tale of woe - Brand new iPhone. Didn't even know there was a Genius Bar. Thanks Apple! I will see how this works after the restore completes.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
petersbud, I doubt the issue is actually the phone itself.

i'm having the same nightmare with bmw. never had any issues with my 5s/ios7 and m6 - now with the 6+/ios8 and both our x3 and the loaner 535 we got the other day, we have the same problems. music looks like it should be playing but never does until I get out the phone itself and press play. incredibly annoying. apple store was clueless.

petersbud

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
You are right - the hardware replacement did nothing. I suspect that it is a bad implementation of the Bluetooth interface on the phone. Apple's answer - wait for an update. This, even though they don't acknowledge the problem.

My work around? I revived my iPhone 4, sync'd up my music and paired it up with the F150. The 4 acts like an iPod and the 6 works like a phone.

Good luck!

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
You are right - the hardware replacement did nothing. I suspect that it is a bad implementation of the Bluetooth interface on the phone. Apple's answer - wait for an update. This, even though they don't acknowledge the problem.

My work around? I revived my iPhone 4, sync'd up my music and paired it up with the F150. The 4 acts like an iPod and the 6 works like a phone.

Good luck!

I did the same for years with an old ipod off fleabay, guess it's time to resurrect it!

couponmagnet

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
Add Honda to the Brands list

Bluetooth works perfect with my wife's iphone 5 (iOS 7) but frequently disconnects and connects when used with iPhone 6 (iOS 8, 8.0.2, 8.1 and now 8.2). Suprisingly it streams music flawlessly with both the phones.

So before I had iOS 7.1.2... when I paired it with my car, it seamlessly placed and received calls via my car's audio system (Hyundai). When I upgraded my iPhone 5S to iOS 8, that stopped, so I just figured it was because I had to re-pair it with the car.

Then I got my 6+ and it's the same way. Now when I am connected via bluetooth, I place a call, and it says it's going over bluetooth, but it doesn't interrupt my car's music, and the audio doesn't play over the speakers. The only way I can talk to the person is if I press the Audio button on the phone and select speakerphone or iPhone as if it wasn't connected to the car.

This seems like a huge step backward in technology, and I'm not happy. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there any work around? I really can't deal with going back 5 years in time.

Thanks!

EDIT: Based on comments in this thread, 8.0 and 8.0.2 broke bluetooth connectivity for almost all users. The following car brand owners have reported the issue...

- Hyundai
- Chevrolet
- Aston Martin
- BMW
- Mercedes
- Lexus
- Toyota
- Acura
- Infiniti
- Ford
- Mazda
- Mitsubishi

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Bluetooth works perfect with my wife's iphone 5 (iOS 7) but frequently disconnects and connects when used with iPhone 6 (iOS 8, 8.0.2, 8.1 and now 8.2). Suprisingly it streams music flawlessly with both the phones.

Wow talk about resurrecting the dead forum. Your issue is the first issue I've heard of since 8.1+ ... I think at this point it's safe to say it's probably specific to your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.