Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Today I was trying to upload a file from my iPad with Safari, the file in question was a .docx, when pressing the upload button from the page I couldn't find a way to tell Safari to pick that file out, the only thing Safari showed was my picture gallery, fortunately I had my precious Samsung Galaxy S4 next to me, and using its default browser I managed to pick the file out directly from the file browser and successfully upload that file, I know there must be a third party app to get around this on iOS, but for me the lack of a real file picker on iOS is very very frustrating, everything you throw in it is sandboxed inside an app and you will always rely on that app to manipulate that kind of file, this is so frustrating that I'm considering buying in the future an Android based tablet, why in the earth they did it so wrong with this?, why Apple thinks we the users are so stupid to have ditched a real file manager and put out iOS with this ****** way to manage our files?

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Not everyone's a power user. An average user doesn't need a file system.

"Power user" to manage your own files?, even a monkey could find a file through its own folders, Android does have a real file management and its a cakewalk to copy, cut, find and navigate through your files, I think Android got it right on this, Apple thinks we are retarded. Apple could have left opened that option for people who really need a file system.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
"Power user" to manage your own files?, even a monkey could find a file through its own folders, Android does have a real file management and its a cakewalk to copy, cut, find and navigate through your files,
My advice then is to go with android, if that feature is important to you and iOS doesn't have it. The course of action is clear.

I personally don't miss the file system, but my usage patterns may not be the same as yours. I'd also say most consumers (at least the ones I know) don't care of about file systems, in fact they never really dealt with "files" on their android or iOS device in such a manner that would indicate a need for a file system.

To each his own, use the product that best fits your needs

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
This is why less and less business' are opting for iPhones these days.

They just don't tick enough boxes for most.

For what it would lose in security, it would gain in functionality tenfold.

The solution would be to create a seperate section or locker to put files into that you can then transfer or mimmic a drive. But noooo, Apple know best.

Thickos keep buying into this crap though, so don't expect any changes soon.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
My advice then is to go with android, if that feature is important to you and iOS doesn't have it. The course of action is clear.

I personally don't miss the file system, but my usage patterns may not be the same as yours. I'd also say most consumers (at least the ones I know) don't care of about file systems, in fact they never really dealt with "files" on their android or iOS device in such a manner that would indicate a need for a file system.

If you think a file system is not important for most costumers why do Linux, Windows and even MacOSX still have a file system?, my complaint is why didn't Apple leave that door opened?, the most basic thing about an OS is a file system, think about it, it's just stupid not to have it, Apple wants us to believe it is not, and unfortunately we are getting used to these nonsense ideas.

PS: I'm not an Apple hater nor a fanboy.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Epic fail = over 9 million phones sold:p

That is failure?

In the 80's Betamax from Sony was always far better than VHS, but VHS sold much more, it depends on how you advertise and market your product, and I'm not saying the whole product is an epic fail.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
If you think a file system is not important for most costumers why do Linux, Windows and even MacOSX still have a file system?, my complaint is why didn't Apple leave that door opened?, the most basic thing about an OS is a file system, think about it, it's just stupid not to have it, Apple wants us to believe it is not, and unfortunately we are getting used to these nonsense ideas.
You're talking about desktop operating systems. Steve Jobs was of the opinion that the average consumer doesn't need access to the filesystem, but that managing documents and data should happen through the applications. He looked at filesystem access as something that should be only available for power users through a separate application designed for that purpose, and not as a basic feature available for everyone. So it's partially about UI design, and also about wanting users to use iTunes to download new ringtones instead of just drag-n'-dropping an mp3 into a folder on their phone.

I for one am very glad that when I create a new document on my iPhone, I can just save it into iCloud or Dropbox without browsing through a headache-inducing nested folder structure. These are mobile devices designed for simplified ease of use. If I really want to torture myself with a Linux distro and a screwdriver, I still have a PC.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If only there were more tablet choices out there to fit your needs and desires. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you think a file system is not important for most costumers why do Linux, Windows and even MacOSX still have a file system?,
We're talking about iOS not OSX, so that's the major difference. On my iPad/iPhone I do not have a need nor do many other people. Desktop operations systems are a different beast.

----------

In the 80's Betamax from Sony was always far better than VHS, but VHS sold much more, it depends on how you advertise and market your product, and I'm not saying the whole product is an epic fail.

It wasn't just marketing, Sony was proprietary and only recorded in odd hours.

you're comparing Apples and oranges

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
"Power user" to manage your own files?, even a monkey could find a file through its own folders, Android does have a real file management and its a cakewalk to copy, cut, find and navigate through your files, I think Android got it right on this, Apple thinks we are retarded. Apple could have left opened that option for people who really need a file system.

1. A monkey can't use a computer

2. Switch to whatever suits your needs.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you think a file system is not important for most costumers why do Linux, Windows and even MacOSX still have a file system?,
Legacy.

Personally, I don't think that either the legacy file systems you're talking about above or Apple's iOS "file system" are perfect.

Working with how iOS currently handles files irritates me a lot, but I know Apple's not done with how iOS handles files, and it will continue to evolve.

IMO, legacy file systems (like what you see in Android) are pretty much done evolving.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
SO the sale of over 9 million phones means nothing? LOL!

This aurgument over the file system is so old. Like others said, Android has a phone for you!

I should have been a little clearer. I meant you can't just use sales to explain how good or bad something is.

Anyway you're directing your comments at the wrong guy, I don't even want a file system. I just came into this thread to make my little comment about Justin Bieber. And now I'm gone. :cool:

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I should have been a little clearer. I meant you can't just use sales to explain how good or bad something is.

Anyway you're directing your comments at the wrong guy, I don't even want a file system. I just came into this thread to make my little comment about Justin Bieber. And now I'm gone. :cool:

Not a problem, take the little beiber with you!

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009

Then the above referenced consumers must be under the age of 30 since those of us who have using computers since the 70s have always dealt with file systems.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I know some people here don't care about file systems, others worship Steve Jobs' ideas, but if you read my first post you will find that I couldn't do something which is supposed to be a simple task using the stock software, this is bummer for me, and if you think about it you will find that I'm right, at this point I don't care whether iOS doesn't have any file system I just wanted to upload a file different from a picture and Safari sadly was not able to do it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.