Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Not everyone's a power user. An average user doesn't need a file system.

Ugh... I get that the OP's tone isn't very... nice, but can we get rid of this argument?

The so called average user, would be fine with the facebook app and angry birds preinstalled on his phone, so let's just remove all other functionality while we're at it.

The average user doesn't exist. Why should Apple cater to the lowest common denominator?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Just to cover the other major arguments from 6 years ago that still apply...

Lack of Flash = Epic fail
No hardware keyboard = Epic fail
No unlimited background processing for third party apps = Epic fail

:D

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Ugh... I get that the OP's tone isn't very... nice, but can we get rid of this argument?

The so called average user, would be fine with the facebook app and angry birds preinstalled on his phone, so let's just remove all other functionality while we're at it.

The average user doesn't exist. Why should Apple cater to the lowest common denominator?

Sorry if I was a little rude, I was showing my frustration :), I've been using Apples' products for 5 years and they have been doing it all the time: simplification over functionality appears to be the rule for them.

----------

Just to cover the other major arguments from 6 years ago that still apply...

Lack of Flash = Epic fail
No hardware keyboard = Epic fail
No unlimited background processing for third party apps = Epic fail

:D

In my case I was happy Apple kicked Flash out from iOS, because most of time Flash degraded the web experience (laggy when scrolling, buggy, awful adds, CPU/Memory/Battery-consuming) in favour of HTML5, I consider a major fail the fact that you can't use SD cards on iOS devices.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

It's not "catering to the lowest common denominator."

The iPad's success is mainly BECAUSE it lacks a file system, not in spite of it.

Fact is, unlike Microsoft, Apple has continued to insist that you should have a tablet OS and a laptop/desktop OS and they're both for different things. This is one of the ways they're keeping them separate.

It's a tactic that's not for everyone, I'll admit. But you can't say Apple should abandon that strategy unless you honestly want to insist that Apple needs to be looking to the 'Surface' as a role model.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I know some people here don't care about file systems, others worship Steve Jobs' ideas, but if you read my first post you will find that I couldn't do something which is supposed to be a simple task using the stock software, this is bummer for me, and if you think about it you will find that I'm right, at this point I don't care whether iOS doesn't have any file system I just wanted to upload a file different from a picture and Safari sadly was not able to do it...

A file system would only complicate the phone for the vast majority of users. So, power users, such as myself, find an app to do what you want. I use Dropbox. It allows me to quickly upload a file from my computer, into dropbox, and then right to my phone. It is very simple, to me. But it would not be very simple for people like my parents. My dad loves that when he opens Pages, his files are there, without him doing anything. So its different, depending who the user's needs. Your needs can be met with Dropbox, or I assume Google Drive/Skydrive. So download one of those apps, end of story.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
It's not "catering to the lowest common denominator."

The iPad's success is mainly BECAUSE it lacks a file system, not in spite of it.

Fact is, unlike Microsoft, Apple has continued to insist that you should have a tablet OS and a laptop/desktop OS and they're both for different things. This is one of the ways they're keeping them separate.

It's a tactic that's not for everyone, I'll admit. But you can't say Apple should abandon that strategy unless you honestly want to insist that Apple needs to be looking to the 'Surface' as a role model.

A lot of your points are debatable, BUT, you missed my point. My point was, "most people won't use X" is a bad argument and shouldn't be used against someone wishing for a feature that isn't there.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'll bite...

What website were you uploading to that was looking for office formatted files?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The solution would be to create a seperate section or locker to put files into that you can then transfer or mimmic a drive. But noooo, Apple know best.

Thickos keep buying into this crap though, so don't expect any changes soon.

I do have to agree with this. Apple does not need a full blown file manager or anything so elaborate. But, limited fucntionality file copier or something along those lines wouldnt ruin their walled-garden and probably helpout a lot of users. As Ive said before, the cloud and dropbox are great and very useful but sometimes you just wanna do a very basic, low level file operation and you simply cannot.

That being said, I knew that before buying iDevices so thats that. ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'll bite...

What website were you uploading to that was looking for office formatted files?

I've seen that on job sites when they ask for your resume. That'd be my guess as it's the only place I've seen that.

Those sites tend to also accept PDFs and TXT files, but if a Word file is what the OP already had I can understand his desire to not have to convert it.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Epic fail = over 9 million phones sold:p

That is failure?

And that number is only 5c and 5s over the first launch weekend, not a grand total of iOS devices worldwide.

Let's face it, these mobile devices are meant for simplicity, they do not need a file system. I Have this pages document, I don't need to find it in my documents, I open the Pages app and there it is.

And to the OP, your comment about even monkeys can do it is insulting and narrow minded.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Today I was trying to upload a file from my iPad with Safari, the file in question was a .docx

Couple questions... How did the .docx get onto your iPad in the first place? What do you want to do when you say "upload"? Would emailing it suffice? Do you have an app that reads or otherwise handles .docx? If so, maybe it has a "Share" button.

Google just made its QuickOffice app (http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co...r-everyone.html?source=email_rt_mc_body&app=n) free... maybe it can handle the sharing for you.

There are plenty of apps including GoodReader and Dropbox that let you set up a folder system for themselves the old-fashioned way.

Beyond that, Apple decided after much study that the folder-and-file system was causing problems for many users. Though you and I have no issue with it and are entirely familiar with the concept from familiarity with legacy systems like OS X/Unix, Linux, Windows and even DOS (v. 2 and later), I can see their point: one family member (really not a tech tard) gets hung up on it on occasion ("I don't want the spreadsheet on my desktop, I want it in Excel!"), and I had to help a friend unravel her PC once after she broke it utterly by putting all her documents in the Windows system folder, which for some reason made sense to her because it's a Windows machine, right? ...So Apple decided to let apps manage their own files so the user doesn't have to. Your issue may boil down to not having an app that does stuff with .docx files, then.

Sorry you're frustrated, and I've been there too.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've seen that on job sites when they ask for your resume. That'd be my guess as it's the only place I've seen that.

Those sites tend to also accept PDFs and TXT files, but if a Word file is what the OP already had I can understand his desire to not have to convert it.

The OP is flame baiting.

He said this...

As an iPad owner, it seems like my money will be on a Xoom tablet, iPad 2 will be a kind of disappointing when talking about hardware, it will have only 512Mb RAM, 2 crappy cams and CPU boost, these features should have been present in iPad right from the start not in the second revision, come on! 256Mb RAM is rubbish, now the iPad 2 will fall behind the competition with only 512Mb RAM while others have at least 1Gb RAM, no USB, no SD card port, no file manager..., and don't come on saying that iOS doesn't need as much RAM, more RAM means outstanding apps and amazing games.

When was this written... Feb 10, 2011, 05:28 AM

Why is someone who is proclaiming the Xoom the winner (lol) back in 2011 and claims they NEED the file system still buying iOS devices? Or as he says "itoys".

https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=36102343

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
The OP is flame baiting.

He said this...

When was this written... Feb 10, 2011, 05:28 AM

Why is someone who is proclaiming the Xoom the winner (lol) back in 2011 and claims they NEED the file system still buying iOS devices? Or as he says "itoys".

https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=36102343

I bought the iPad 3 because it has a beautiful retina display and was less bulky than the Xoom, I saw the Xoom in person at the store and the screen looked dull, I knew from my iPad 1 iOS didn't ship with a file system and thought that I'd get use to sandboxed files style, but in cases like the one I explained in my first post sometimes I really MISS what a file system does, Apple has been neglecting other products in favor of their iDevices and that's why I call them "iToys" because you cannot do the same thing as you do with a real computer.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I bought the iPad 3 because it has a beautiful retina display and was less bulky than the Xoom, I saw the Xoom in person at the store and the screen looked dull, I knew from my iPad 1 iOS didn't ship with a file system and thought that I'd get use to sandboxed files style, but in cases like the one I explained in my first post sometimes I really MISS what a file system does, Apple has been neglecting other products in favor of their iDevices and that's why I call them "iToys" because you cannot do the same thing as you do with a real computer.

Buy a laptop then :D

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Couple questions... How did the .docx get onto your iPad in the first place? What do you want to do when you say "upload"? Would emailing it suffice? Do you have an app that reads or otherwise handles .docx? If so, maybe it has a "Share" button.

Google just made its QuickOffice app (http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co...r-everyone.html?source=email_rt_mc_body&app=n) free... maybe it can handle the sharing for you.

There are plenty of apps including GoodReader and Dropbox that let you set up a folder system for themselves the old-fashioned way.

Beyond that, Apple decided after much study that the folder-and-file system was causing problems for many users. Though you and I have no issue with it and are entirely familiar with the concept from familiarity with legacy systems like OS X/Unix, Linux, Windows and even DOS (v. 2 and later), I can see their point: one family member (really not a tech tard) gets hung up on it on occasion ("I don't want the spreadsheet on my desktop, I want it in Excel!"), and I had to help a friend unravel her PC once after she broke it utterly by putting all her documents in the Windows system folder, which for some reason made sense to her because it's a Windows machine, right? ...So Apple decided to let apps manage their own files so the user doesn't have to. Your issue may boil down to not having an app that does stuff with .docx files, then.

Sorry you're frustrated, and I've been there too.

I tried to get the .docx from DropBox but Safari failed to open the DropBox's box and instead only the pictures gallery showed up, I was in a rush and I connected my S4 to my PC to transfer the same file and then I uploaded it successfully without any extra app from the Android's file system, at least you are one of the few that understand what I mean.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO

Sounds like a Surface Pro 2 is ideal for you, then. It runs full Windows 8. File system and everything. So it's a "real computer."

jedblanks

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
In the 80's Betamax from Sony was always far better than VHS, but VHS sold much more, it depends on how you advertise and market your product, and I'm not saying the whole product is an epic fail.

If you want to know why VHS won, you should look it up. HINT: its the same reason BluRay won - and it has nothing to do with "being better." It has to do with the "content" available on those particular formats.

And apple is currently winning because of the content (apps in this case) available.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Right...

Didn't you also write:

I think MS is late, Windows RT sucks but I think they are taking advantage of the lacks of iOS, I DO NEED a USB port on my iPad, I DO NEED a real file system, I DO NEED to connect my iPad without using iTunes and the Multitasking on iOS is definitely really poor.

Seems like the problem is not the iPad. The problem is you buying products you flat out know will not meet your needs.

You say you NEED a file system, then you don't NEED an iPad even if it has a "beautiful retina display".

And you still haven't told us what website you were trying to upload to where your "precious" GS4 swooped in and saved the day.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Sounds like a Surface Pro 2 is ideal for you, then. It runs full Windows 8. File system and everything. So it's a "real computer."

I've seen Surface tablets at the store, they look nice, problem is I don't like Windows, I know Windows Surface might be different than previous versions and might meet my "old-fashion needs", but the bitter taste Windows has left in the past still remains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.