Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Greatest vs Best vs Popular vs Favorite

Greatest: Most influential, accomplishments, etc.

Best: Best in all-around skill set.

Popular: Sold the most.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones

Favorite: What you personally like or love most and not what you personally think is greater or better.

Apple iPhone (2007-Present)
Greatest: iPhone
Best: iPhone X
Best Design: iPhone 5s
Most Popular: iPhone 6/6 Plus
Most Underrated: iPhone 8 Plus
My Favorite: iPhone SE

Samsung Galaxy S (2010-Present)
Greatest: Galaxy S7 edge
Best: Galaxy S8+
Best Design: Galaxy S7 edge
Most Popular: Galaxy S4
Most Underrated: Galaxy S5
My Favorite: Galaxy S7

Samsung Galaxy Note (2011-Present)
Greatest: Galaxy Note
Best: Galaxy Note8
Best Design: Galaxy Note7
Most Popular: Galaxy Note II
Most Underrated: Galaxy Note
My Favorite: Galaxy Note7 (RIP)

LG G (2012-Present)
Greatest: G2
Best: G6
Best Design: G3
Most Popular: Don't know
Most Underrated: G5
My Favorite: G5

LG V (2015-Present)
Greatest: V20
Best: V30
Best Design: V30
Most Underrated: V10
My Favorite: V20

V20 is the ugliest of the three but also the best all-around. LG is the only brand that changes up their designs every single year.

Google Nexus (2010-2015)
Greatest: Galaxy Nexus (ICS)
Best: Nexus 6P
Best Design: Nexus One
Most Underrated: Nexus S
My Favorite: Nexus One

Google Pixel (2016-Present)
Greatest: Too early
Best: Pixel 2 XL
Best Design: Pixel 2 XL (panda)
Most Underrated: Too early
My Favorite: Pixel 2 XL

iOS is like the Barrymores, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and Kobe Bryant. Polished since the beginning with the blue-blooded pedigree.

Android is like Gary Oldman, young Michael Jordan, and LeBron James. More raw in the beginning but versatile at the end.

OSes
Greatest: iOS
Best: Depends on preference
Best Design: webOS
Most Popular: Android
Most Underrated: QNX
My Favorite: Android

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Couple of things when coming to Android from IOS
1) Sync all of your calendar and contacts to Google. Set Google as your default for those services on your Apple devices so they all sync
2) If you have playlists and bought music, ringtones and such in iTunes...then download iSyncr on your main computer (Mac or Windows) and Android phone and it will sync all your playlists and music to your Android phone.
3) download and install Google Chrome browser on your home PC and Android phone and sync all your bookmarks so they will be the same on all your devices.
Thanks...Samsung's sync tool worked really well. All of my email, contacts, music, etc came over ok. The only exception was my playlists, they showed up but didn't appear to link to the songs correctly. As a result, I had to recreate them manually but I only had 6-7 and it didn't take exceptionally long...one is over 100 songs so I would've had to buy the $10 premium app.

I like the phone and the iOS. Android and iOS aren't that far apart in a lot of ways. There are definitely more flexibility on the Android side but there's definitely a better integration on iOS. Mail, calendary, notes, etc all work together nice and on Android it seems to get the best experience per app, you need third party apps so not as homogeneous across what I'll call core function apps.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks...Samsung's sync tool worked really well. All of my email, contacts, music, etc came over ok. The only exception was my playlists, they showed up but didn't appear to link to the songs correctly. As a result, I had to recreate them manually but I only had 6-7 and it didn't take exceptionally long...one is over 100 songs so I would've had to buy the $10 premium app.

I like the phone and the iOS. Android and iOS aren't that far apart in a lot of ways. There are definitely more flexibility on the Android side but there's definitely a better integration on iOS. Mail, calendary, notes, etc all work together nice and on Android it seems to get the best experience per app, you need third party apps so not as homogeneous across what I'll call core function apps.

For your playlists and music use iSyncr. It will let you sync all of your playlists a they are in iTunes.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I have used multiple platforms since 2011 and I compare it to learning a new language. You don't want to limit yourself only knowing one language when you travel. Expand your horizons.

I find most iOS-only users mostly myopic like the platform they support. Like a microscope. Can see the tiny details but can't see the big picture. I'm content using multiple brands and being adaptable like a chameleon.

Multi-platform, multi-dimensional, and multilingual has their advantages. Helps more people out.

Reactions: maka344

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The biggest misconception I hear about Android is the old "if you don't want to customize your phone's OS, stick with iOS". Android's vanilla interface on most devices offers a lot more than flexibility and offers a lot in its stock form.

I don't use widgets, I always use the default launcher, and I generally really like the experience.

Reactions: deany

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So I was able to score a SG X 256 from the apple store and pick it up today. Will restore it from my 8 plus and do some comparisons to the rest of the collection this weekend.

fff94351163f59dc946cadfaed3c779b.jpg

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
ios-11-control-center-two.jpg

The extra steps and lesser battery efficiency with tethering and the limited customizations with the toggles I want to see in the Control Center is why I can't use iOS for work as a driver.

Android's notification shade is still superior to iOS' after nearly a decade. Doesn't separate toggles with lockscreen messages.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
ios-11-control-center-two.jpg

The extra steps and lesser battery efficiency with tethering and the limited customizations with the toggles I want to see in the Control Center is why I can't use iOS for work as a driver.

Android's notification shade is still superior to iOS' after nearly a decade. Doesn't separate toggles with lockscreen messages.
iOS is a straight mess when it comes to Notifications compared to Android. It's a lot less intuitive.

We actually take the Notification Bar for granted in Android, as most platforms don't handle notifications and connections as well as Android. I love how I can just swipe down and not only get my Notifications, Toggles and Weather, but I can also manage things like BT audio e.g. where it's being routed to when more than 1 device is connected to your phone.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
So I was able to score a SG X 256 from the apple store and pick it up today. Will restore it from my 8 plus and do some comparisons to the rest of the collection this weekend.

fff94351163f59dc946cadfaed3c779b.jpg

Curious your real world honest opinion between the 8 Plus vs X ? Obviously the size difference, but other than that, does the 8 Plus go against the X well ?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Apple iPhone (2007-Present)
Greatest: iPhone
Best: iPhone X
Best Design: iPhone 5s
Most Popular: iPhone 6/6 Plus
Most Underrated: iPhone 8 Plus
My Favorite: iPhone SE

Best design: iPhone 4. Nothing has knocked my socks off as much upon first impression/handling.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
More like this actually..

It was a foray into Sony's design language, not a particular product but inspired by Jobs love of Sony's design.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Last edited:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I've switched to Android One recently and have my iPhone 6 on 24/7 to help the transition, I recommend this...after 10 years it ain't easy, but worth it.

I still need to move my calendar entries over I think the sync problem maybe that in early Google mail in the UK it was @googlemail rather than @gmail due to a copyright / naming issue. I'm a @googlemail early adopter, hope to sort out calander in the morning.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iOS' underrated app - Apple Maps

I still use Google Maps and used Waze before. I hate Waze. So bloated and confusing. Social media crap. I prefer Apple Map over both when it comes to the UI. I don't like the green stuff during voice navigation with Google.

I wouldn't say Apple Maps is perfect or much better than GMaps but it looks way cleaner and good to have both especially if you're a driver of some sort like for Uber and Lyft. You need to have all the available options.

Google Maps & Apple Maps still give me about a 10-15% error and zigzag routes. Still better to have both in case one of them crashes or messes up with directions.

My daily drivers works like this -

G5 has the lowest SAR and has my sim, so it's mostly being used to tether and to make calls and texts.

SE is usually the one in my hands during the day and one I show to cashiers when picking up orders.

Moto E is docked in my car for GPS. Sometimes if it crashes or low batt, SE becomes the GPS.

V20 is the one I use at home while the others are charging. Its 5.7" display really is perfect for media consumption and I can do split-view apps or PiP.

Right now, I'm typing with SE but will probably use my big boy after typing this post. Like I said, phablet size isn't my fav but I could roll with it. ;)

I really don't care to pick sides because it's better to use multiple platforms and have them work in unison. Think of it like you're the maestro and your phones becomes an orchestra. Be together. Not the same.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wish my iphone X displayed battery percentage and not just the battery icon. I think this is a limitation of the "notch" there isn't enough room up there.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I've used both and there are still a few small things about iOS that stop me considering it.

- The homescreen is just a mass of apps (and the larger the iPhone's screen gets, the more apps there are). But if you only wanted half a dozen apps, they sit at the top - furthest away from one's thumb.

- Lack of true widgets

- Lack of notification light

- Lack of headphone jack

- Lack of assigning default app

Other issues (third party keyboards, larger screens etc.) have slowly been addressed by Apple.

Android annoyances:

- Not able to click on phone numbers and addresses in web pages

- Confusing integration with computer (like transferring photos)

- "OK Google" is hard to get working on non-Google phones (I still can't make it work on my S8 and Bixby is useless)

- Homescreen looks messy

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Found this to be a pretty fair take on the iPhone X from someone who while familiar with iOS, lives daily in the Android world. Based on my time using Android and most recently the Pixel 2 XL, I find the praises and criticisms to be pretty spot on.

iPhone X: The Android Central review

Well, a fair and balanced review for once, and one that touches on user experience, not just specs and techs. I do wish for more in depth reviews from a standpoint of a phone being a buyers first device but attention spans being what they are these days, it is perhaps too much to ask......

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Samsung Internet Beta in the Play store is on par with Safari for me in terms of smoothness and polish. Chrome is a laggy hot mess relative to Samsung's internet app (IMHO). You can sync it with your Chrome bookmarks as there is a plugin for Chrome for your computer. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta&hl=en

Great advice here. Samsung’s browser is miles ahead of anything else on Android, especially if you prefer to sync across devices/platforms.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Great advice here. Samsung’s browser is miles ahead of anything else on Android, especially if you prefer to sync across devices/platforms.

Samsung browser is phenomenal. It walks all over chrome on android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.