Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Samsung browser is phenomenal. It walks all over chrome on android.
Thanks for the laugh. One of the main reason I got rid of my S7 Edge was the Samsung browser. I can't tell you how many times i got the "Wait or close" option because of hanging webpages and how many times pages on espn would not render correctly or buttons would be missing or just not work. Even the forums here there were many times I would not the button and it simply would not work.

Not one issue with safari in years.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung Internet Beta in the Play store is on par with Safari for me in terms of smoothness and polish. Chrome is a laggy hot mess relative to Samsung's internet app (IMHO). You can sync it with your Chrome bookmarks as there is a plugin for Chrome for your computer. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta&hl=en

I like the Samsung Browser and the Secure sign in. But Chrome does it's job well for me too, and I'm able to sync open tabs which is important for me.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I like the Samsung Browser and the Secure sign in. But Chrome does it's job well for me too, and I'm able to sync open tabs which is important for me.

I do miss syncing open tabs, since I use Chrome on my work PC and home Mac. But the time I do need to sync an open tab, I use Chrome. For everyday browsing and internet use, I use Samsung Internet.
[doublepost=1510669969][/doublepost]
Thanks for the laugh. One of the main reason I got rid of my S7 Edge was the Samsung browser. I can't tell you how many times i got the "Wait or close" option because of hanging webpages and how many times pages on espn would not render correctly or buttons would be missing or just not work. Even the forums here there were many times I would not the button and it simply would not work.

weird. I've never had that issue with samsung internet, albeit, the first time I ever used it was on a S8. Worked flawlessly there. So much so, I use it on all my android devices, samsung or not. U11, Essential phone, Pixel 2 XL, G6, etc. etc. Works great on all these phones and better than Chrome in my experience. Maybe give it a try again? you can also try the Beta version in the Play store. Very smooth.

Reactions: deany

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017

I just plain straight up don't believe some of these posts tbh.

Both sides are guilty of it as well.
My go to when an app really isn't working is to visit the app store and look at the recent review comments. If my experience isn't shared, i reinstall, or a reset my device.

I think about 99.9% of app and OS issues on this forum regardless of OS can be cured with a factory reset and where needed, setting up as a new phone.

This should be on the cover of the forum like "Don't Panic" is on THGTTU

"Factory Reset: Do NOT Restore"

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
I just plain straight up don't believe some of these posts tbh.

Both sides are guilty of it as well.
My go to when an app really isn't working is to visit the app store and look at the recent review comments. If my experience isn't shared, i reinstall, or a reset my device.

I think about 99.9% of app and OS issues on this forum regardless of OS can be cured with a factory reset and where needed, setting up as a new phone.

This should be on the cover of the forum like "Don't Panic" is on THGTTU

"Factory Reset: Do NOT Restore"

It was pretty much that way from day 1 where pages would not render correctly and on espn forums specifically I would get the wait or close option. Never had to restore an iphone out of the 6 or so I have had. They just work

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Mobile OS history
2008 - Symbian, iPhone OS
2011- webOS, BBOS5, Android, Windows Phone

Concurrently
Symbian & iOS (2008-2010)
iOS, Android, WP (2011-2012)
Android & WP (2016-2017)
iOS & Android (2011-2013, 2017)

iOS & Android = 2.5 years

I use iOS because of macOS. Sometimes Mac won't recognize some of my Androids.

Favorite apps from both platforms -

iOS jailbreak apps -
SBSettings
Intelliscreen
Winterboard

iOS -
Safari
Music
Apple Maps

Android -
Nova Launcher Prime
SwiftKey
Opera Mini or QuickPic

Sometimes Opera Mini sucks but I use my phone mostly to type or browse. I also prefer Private Notepad over iOS' Notes because of the fingerprint security. Many of my long posts are typed on Note apps. How's that novel you've been working on Brian? ;).

Dasher and Chase are important apps but not my favorite apps. Dasher is terrible on both platforms but has a less intuitive menu with iOS. I have to use it every day but it doesn't mean I like how it is written.

Both platforms have similar apps with similar quality, give or take a few of them. I'm not in that mindset of needing to download 100+ apps anymore where I barely use 25% of it. I'm not into social media.

Critical apps is Dasher, Chase, Maps, a browser, texts, call, email, YouTube, and media players. I rarely take photos on my phone anymore. I rarely game on my phone even though I have a dozen games. I might only really use under a dozen apps daily.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Shame symbian couldn't get their act together.

I read today that Android is the number one operating system in the world, beating Microsoft Windows.

Would be interested to know how much Alphabet get in royalties per smartphone, is it around $5.00?

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Shame symbian couldn't get their act together.

I read today that Android is the number one operating system in the world, beating Microsoft Windows.

Would be interested to know how much Alphabet get in royalties per smartphone, is it around $5.00?
On Android itself? $0.00. I don't know what percentage of Android devices use Google Play Services (probably a lot), but that's really how Google makes money on Android (and search).

Android doesn't generate revenue, but mobile marketing, Apps, search generate $$$$

I can't get a solid number of how many Android devices there are in the world, but there are 2 billion monthly active users, with Google generated $31 billion in revenue since 2008.

Obviously there are more phones sold than active users so maybe like $5-10 a person?

Last edited:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
On Android itself? $0.00. I don't know what percentage of Android devices use Google Play Services (probably a lot), but that's really how Google makes money on Android (and search).

Android doesn't generate revenue, but mobile marketing, Apps, search generate $$$$

I can't get a solid number of how many Android devices there are in the world, but there are 2 billion monthly active users, with Google generated $31 billion in revenue since 2008.

Obviously there are more phones sold than active users so maybe like $5-10 a person?

alphabet does not charge a license fee for using Android, per unit? wow!, I seem to remember symbian asking up to £15 per unit which clearly was to much.
but $0.00 very surprised, I wonder if they will be 'changing that' in a few years time!.....
If you're 'close to the action' would be interested in the numbers of Google Play Music subscriptions, Google seem to keep these figures close to their chest.
Let's not forget one of (the main imo) reason iPhone took off in such a phenomenal way is because of iPod and us Humans Love of Music.

I seem to remember Steve Jobs writing off the iPod touch as a 'stepping stone' to owning an iPhone.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
alphabet does not charge a license fee for using Android, per unit? wow!, I seem to remember symbian asking up to £15 per unit which clearly was to much.
but $0.00 very surprised, I wonder if they will be changing that!.....
If you're 'close to the action' would be interested in the numbers of Google Play Music subscriptions, Google seem to keep these figures close to their chest.
Let's not forget one of (the main imo) reason iPhone took off in such a phenomenal way is because of iPod and us Humans Love of Music.

I seem to remember Steve Jobs writing off the iPod touch as a 'stepping stone' to owning an iPhone.
Because Android is open source, it is unlikely Google will ever successfully add a license fee to the OS itself.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah then there's me, who also has/had an S7 edge and didn't experience any of those issues.

If it had happened to me, I wish have just used another browser.

I would not the button but sometimes I would ;)

I used to use Chrome and Opera but Samsung browser is excellent.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

No problem with me. Samsung browser on Xiaomi Mi 6. Using Samsung browser on all my Android phone, including Huawei P10, Mate 10, Honor 8, Xiaomi Mi 6, Redmi Note 4, Motorola Moto E. No problem whatsoever with Samsung Browser. It is fast and elegant

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-14-18-16-35-942_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-14-18-16-35-942_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.beta.png
    929.1 KB · Views: 137

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It was pretty much that way from day 1 where pages would not render correctly and on espn forums specifically I would get the wait or close option. Never had to restore an iphone out of the 6 or so I have had. They just work

Are you talking about Samsung browser from 3 years ago or now? Safari on my ipad 3 years ago was utter crap (crashing like there is no tomorrow)

Last edited:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I'm new to Android, and find the Samsung browser far better than either Safari or Chrome.
The OS I'm using is pure Android, Android One. Highly recommended for a 'new switcher'.

Reactions: koigirl

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Are you talking about Samsung browser from 3 years ago or now? Safari on my ipad 3 years ago was utter crap (crashing like there is no tomorrow)

Samsung Browser that came with a S7 Edge about a year ago.

I love the people chiming in that they have no issue. I read a post on a car forum about a person who had an engine failure. Well I never had an engine failure so that is impossible.

Simply put my needs from a browser were pretty basic. I tried the S7 Edge and wanted to use the Samsung Browser. It failed miserably. I move on to something that worked better for my needs. I do not doubt for one second that this browser has worked for someone else. Along with the browser issue along with a myriad of other problems I never had to deal with on at least 6 or more other iphones I went back to the tried and true.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Samsung Browser that came with a S7 Edge about a year ago.

I love the people chiming in that they have no issue. I read a post on a car forum about a person who had an engine failure. Well I never had an engine failure so that is impossible.

Simply put my needs from a browser were pretty basic. I tried the S7 Edge and wanted to use the Samsung Browser. It failed miserably. I move on to something that worked better for my needs. I do not doubt for one second that this browser has worked for someone else. Along with the browser issue along with a myriad of other problems I never had to deal with on at least 6 or more other iphones I went back to the tried and true.
Think you just had a **** lemon phone and should have taken it back, or didn't know how to use it? Like your other post I responded to with all your issues like visual voicemail, boarding passes, keyboard (I've always used swype), phone app always works I can't even recall a single issue there over multiple Androids or my iPhones for that matter....I have an S7 for almost 2 years now and never experienced what you did, from boarding passes, VM is right there like my iPhones and in dialer, boarding passes no prob, battery life still excellent actually this thing has held up better then my previous iPhones or Androids in regards to battery life and I'm a heavy user.

Think you just had a lemon that you should have replaced, I mean like you said your phone can't even make it half way through the day, obviously something is wrong there. I'm a heavy user for biz and can go all day and still have battery life by night time while you said your just a basic user yet can't go half the day..... something is off there, and I'm in the gym 6 days lifting for about an hour and half streaming music whole time and browsing/doing stuff while resting between sets. I always use Chrome though as I prefer it for browsing/bookmarks/sync'd tabs on my Macs vs other browsers I've tried, don't think I've even played with the Samsung browser.

Only issues I can really recall all these years on both is replacing battery after a year in my S2 and S5 where I noticed battery life get worse after a year or so (even rooted and rom'd), and having apple replace 2 iPhones under warranty.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.