Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Android and the Pixel 3 is far from the same terms of security of the iOS. Tell you what, lets both go to Def-Con conference in Las Vegas this year, and I'll have an iPhones, and you have your Pixel, and lets see how quick your device gets broken into vs mine. Let's just say, they warn people to not use Android devices at that conference because they are easily hacked by people at the conference for fun. I go to that conference every year.

Keep off WiFi, turn off BT, use a VPN, don't plug your phone into anything, and you'll be fine, Android or iOS.

Neither Android or iOS are mentioned in any of those links.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018
Keep off WiFi, turn off BT, use a VPN, don't plug your phone into anything, and you'll be fine, Android or iOS.

And if you know anything, that won't work. The phone can still be hacked over LTE. Also, there is NFC, and other ways to hack the device. If you go to these conferences you would learn this.

The best way to protect yourself is two ways. Either take a burner phone with you, or keep your phone turned off.

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/blogs/blogs-mobile-security-threats

Learn the differences and how iOS is more difficult to hack and more secure. Just one example.

Last edited:

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
And if you know anything, that won't work. The phone can still be hacked over LTE. Also, there is NFC, and other ways to hack the device. If you go to these conferences you would learn this.

The best way to protect yourself is two ways. Either take a burner phone with you, or keep your phone turned off.

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/blogs/blogs-mobile-security-threats

Learn the differences and how iOS is more difficult to hack and more secure. Just one example.
And some, who are extremely paranoid, do just that. However, the majority of attendees take their phones, secure everything except LTE, use a VPN, and don't get exploited.

And going back to the original discussion before we ventured into the extreme environment of a hacking convention, in normal environments, taking normal safety precautions, average Joe or Jane are perfectly safe on either an Android or an iOS phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
which has nothing to do with Android vs iOS in your first two links. Also, ZeroDayInitiative means nothing in my world of network security when BlackHat and Def-Con are the worlds largest hacking conferences which are more respected than Zero Day. LOL
The discussion is Google vs iPhone, not iOS versus Android.

Spirit: 9/10
Reading Comprehension: 1/10

Welcome to the boards. Hopefully you learn a thing or two here.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
which has nothing to do with Android vs iOS in your first two links. Also, ZeroDayInitiative means nothing in my world of network security when BlackHat and Def-Con are the worlds largest hacking conferences which are more respected than Zero Day. LOL

Pretending MacOS vulnerabilities don't exist like your iOS claims is covered under 'security through obscurity'.

Money talks. Smart professionals don't work for show only. bounties > shows

Do explain how Safari on iPhone X isn't iOS?

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Pretending MacOS vulnerabilities don't exist like your iOS claims is covered under 'security through obscurity'.

Missed the iPhone X/WiFi exploit you linked. My apologies.

Reactions: burgman

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google is Android, Apple is iOS. You are consistently rude.
This couldn't be more wrong. Android is an open source platform maintained by Google. However, in the wild it exists in four categories of flavors
  1. Android Open Source Project (AOSP) - open source plain android without any Google Play services. Operated under a BSD license by Google and security maintained by Google
    • An open source platform. The Security community has not yet determined whether or not this is more or less secure than closed source platforms like iOS. Generally, experts suggest any advantages or disadvantages of open source vs proprietary software cancel each other out, thereby making them equally as safe.
    • When other developers edit AOSP (for example, the Amazon Fire platform is built on AOSP), they introduce unmanaged vulnerabilities through their added code which Google does not patch.
  2. Android One - plain Android with Google Play services but no OEM software.
    • This software model is considered secure because Google handles both the closed source (Google Play Services) and open source (AOSP) aspects of the device.
    • This arrangement is very similar to the software arrangement of iOS, where one company manages ALL the software components. The only difference is AOSP is open source, which is NOT necessarily safer or less safe than closed source applications. Android One gets software updates for an allotted period of time.
  3. Android on Google Pixel - plain Android with Google Play services with a special launcher and added Google-specific features (Google Assistant, the Google Launcher)
    • The safest Android experience. Pixels generally get all updates first
    • Google maintains ALL hardware, software, and services on device
    • Has Titan M designated for security
    • Like iPhone, fingerprint is stored on device
    • This is the experience we are discussing here.
  4. OEM specific Android Flavors - Based on AOSP with Google Play Services
    • Google maintains Google Play Services security and AOSP security
    • Generally, vulnerabilities are introduced by OEM software (custom launchers, custom software)
    • All Google software updates need to be adapted for the OEM devices
    • Less safe than Android One, Google Pixel is safer due to complete Google management
    • No one is arguing here this is safer than iOS.
There may be more flavors (I think Android TVs fall into a different category and, like Carplay, Android Auto is based on QNX, I believe), but this is the way Android is now.

It's worth reiterating (again), Google doesn't market Pixel as an Android device. At the Pixel 3 launch, Android was said zero (0) times. It's a different, proprietary flavor based on open source code.

"Google" is not "android". They're different things. I may come off as rude but people come here and believe the ghost stories about Android without completely understanding the whole picture.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018

We are talking iOS vs Android or Google Pixel for that matter. Get with the game.

And my offer still stands, lets go to Def-Con, and see how fast your Pixel gets hacked. Read my link above. Sorry if you can't handle the real life facts of what I posted. But the truth is, Android is easier to hack than iOS. It took them less than a few minutes to hack a Android device. iOS can get hacked too, it just takes way longer.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
We are talking iOS vs Android or Google Pixel for that matter. Get with the game.

And my offer still stands, lets go to Def-Con, and see how fast your Pixel gets hacked. Read my link above. Sorry if you can't handle the real life facts of what I posted. But the truth is, Android is easier to hack than iOS. It took them less than a few minutes to hack a Android device. iOS can get hacked too, it just takes way longer.
Any new evidence? Or are we simply just going to go with the Pixel getting hacked in 2016?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
This couldn't be more wrong. Android is an open source platform maintained by Google. However, in the wild it exists in four categories of flavors
  1. Android Open Source Project (AOSP) - open source plain android without any Google Play services. Operated under a BSD license by Google and security maintained by Google
    • An open source platform. The Security community has not yet determined whether or not this is more or less secure than closed source platforms like iOS. Generally, experts suggest any advantages or disadvantages of open source vs proprietary software cancel each other out, thereby making them equally as safe.
    • When other developers edit AOSP (for example, the Amazon Fire platform is built on AOSP), they introduce unmanaged vulnerabilities through their added code which Google does not patch.
  2. Android One - plain Android with Google Play services but no OEM software.
    • This software model is considered secure because Google handles both the closed source (Google Play Services) and open source (AOSP) aspects of the device.
    • This arrangement is very similar to the software arrangement of iOS, where one company manages ALL the software components. The only difference is AOSP is open source, which is NOT necessarily safer or less safe than closed source applications. Android One gets software updates for an allotted period of time.
  3. Android on Google Pixel - plain Android with Google Play services with a special launcher and added Google-specific features (Google Assistant, the Google Launcher)
    • The safest Android experience. Pixels generally get all updates first
    • Google maintains ALL hardware, software, and services on device
    • Has Titan M designated for security
    • Like iPhone, fingerprint is stored on device
    • This is the experience we are discussing here.
  4. OEM specific Android Flavors - Based on AOSP with Google Play Services
    • Google maintains Google Play Services security and AOSP security
    • Generally, vulnerabilities are introduced by OEM software (custom launchers, custom software)
    • All Google software updates need to be adapted for the OEM devices
    • Less safe than Android One, Google Pixel is safer due to complete Google management
    • No one is arguing here this is safer than iOS.
There may be more flavors (I think Android TVs fall into a different category and, like Carplay, Android Auto is based on QNX, I believe), but this is the way Android is now.

It's worth reiterating (again), Google doesn't market Pixel as an Android device. At the Pixel 3 launch, Android was said zero (0) times. It's a different, proprietary flavor based on open source code.

"Google" is not "android". They're different things. I may come off as rude but people come here and believe the ghost stories about Android without completely understanding the whole picture.

Yes, Google is trying to distance itself from
Android, but Google is still Android and Android is still Google. Google is just trying to become an absentee dad; too embarrassed that Android is considered to be cheap by many.

Anyway. It’s amazing when Android people on this forum get upset when Apple users defend Apple... on an Apple forum.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
What are the untold miseries suffered by billion of Android users wrt to the "supposed" privacy issues?

Android privacy issue couldn't be as bad as those incidences that apple users have suffered money loss due unauthorized transactions on their iTunes account.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You simply going to ignore my link that is only a few months old? LOL
So, what you're saying is, unless you go to a hacker conference where everyone is trying to hack you, Pixel and iPhone are essentially the same. Got it.
[doublepost=1546488688][/doublepost]
Anyway. It’s amazing when Android people on this forum get upset when Apple users defend Apple... on an Apple forum.
It's amazing that a poster who has been here for less than three years feels the need to go to the Android section of an Apple forum and tell a poster who has been here 8 years and his internet friends where and what to post.

We get it, you did a Google search for Pixel security and found the first link. Your argument is "iOS is safer" and your reasoning is "it was hacked slower". That's not a good argument. Make a better argument.

If you're not a target, you use reputable apps, and you stay with the stock services, Pixel and iOS are essentially the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
So, what you're saying is, unless you go to a hacker conference where everyone is trying to hack you, Pixel and iPhone are essentially the same. Got it.
It's amazing that a poster who has been here for less than three years feels the need to go to the Android section of an Apple forum and tell a poster who has been here 8 years and his internet friends where and what to post.

Get off your high horse, make and argument. We get it, you did a Google search for Pixel security and found the first link. Your argument is "iOS is safer" and your reasoning is "it was hacked slower". That's not a good argument. Make a better argument.

If you're not a target, you use reputable apps, and you stay with the stock services, Pixel and iOS are essentially

We get it, you did a Google search for Pixel security and found the first link. Your argument is "iOS is safer" and your reasoning is "it was hacked slower". That's not a good argument. Make a better argument.

If you're not a target, you use reputable apps, and you stay with the stock services, Pixel and iOS are essentially the same.
Man, you’re extremely rude.

Well, that’s a Google search I have never done. You’re probably mistaking me for some other Apple user you argue with on here.

Congratulations on being here longer, I guess? And having Internet friends? Is that really something to feel superior about? I have a life, so I don’t have too much time to argue on here or get upset or rant or befriend people I’ve never met. That’s why my posts are always so short.

Anyway. Enjoy your Pixel and I will enjoy my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hello,

This is a genuine question. What are the security/privacy advantages of using iOS over Android in a real world scenario?

I am sure the stock iPhone / iPad with its installed apps is probably more secure than Android (as Apple infer), but for many users the iPhone / iPad is nothing special without adding useful apps from the App Store.

This is when the problem starts. Even if you avoid Google search, Gmail, Google Maps, Google Docs etc and download other developers apps, many use Google Analytics etc and even if they don’t, they suck up a large amount of data that they dont need and shouldn’t have.

On the basis of using many third party apps, is there any real world advantage from a security and privacy point in staying with iOS?

Thanks

Well a 16 year old hacked Apple servers, think that says a lot:
https://bgr.com/2018/08/16/apple-servers-hacked-teen-sensitive-data-year/

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Def-Con? Really... reposting @mi7chy post.
At Pwn2Own where hackers get paid big bucks to who can be first to exploit a platform, IOS devices are consistently the first to be exploited.
Year after year.....exploits get reported to Apple but they take no action.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018
Def-Con? Really... reposting @mi7chy post.
At Pwn2Own where hackers get paid big bucks to who can be first to exploit a platform, IOS devices are consistently the first to be exploited.
Year after year.....exploits get reported to Apple but they take no action.
Thanks, you just proved you know nothing.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Really who cares? If you are worried about being hacked or think you are being watched, then stay off the internet because nothing is 100% foolproof.
Do I think iOS is perhaps a little safer? Sure but I don't worry about it and don't really like iOS. I've never had issues with Android and really only had issues with Windows but it was years ago with Windows 7 and the one before that one with Malware but got rid of it easy enough.

Zepher

Suspended
Dec 30, 2018
Really who cares? If you are worried about being hacked or think you are being watched, then stay off the internet because nothing is 100% foolproof.
Do I think iOS is perhaps a little safer? Sure but I don't worry about it and don't really like iOS. I've never had issues with Android and really only had issues with Windows but it was years ago with Windows 7 and the one before that one with Malware but got rid of it easy enough.

Agreed. I never denied iOS was not hackable. But it seems these guys refuse to believe their Android is less safe than iOS. They hate the truth.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
sure...there are tons of Android exploits....show me where i said anything different?

Yet you said...which is not true.....
But the truth is, Android is easier to hack than iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.