Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Do you think Apple will take a huge leap forward with the next version of iOS after 9? If the 6s phones will indeed have ForceTouch, this would open up tons of possibilities for the future. I'm hoping we'll get the following for the iPhone:
  1. iPhone Multi-tasking (with the rollout on the iPad, and the larger phone sizes, this seems obvious)
  2. Improved control center (more options and even some customization)
  3. Ability to close all apps with a touch of a button (not sure if the iOS9 power saver does this?)
What are you hoping to see come with iOS X/10?

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I'm guessing they'll use the tenth version as a way to change something big, but no idea what, just gotta wait!

There is no way they'll call it iOS X though, it'll confuse the layman into thinking it's full OS X on their iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
While this is ridiculously early (seeing as iOS 9 isn't even out yet.)

Rebranded to iOS X (and remains that to feel closer to its bigger brother OS X.)

I think we'll see some design change. (iOS usually gets an overhaul in looks every 3-4 years.)

Perhaps a dark mode of they bring amoled screens to the iPhone 7 I've been sending feedback every so often to suggest that the UI takes on the colours of your wallpaper used (exactly how the new Music app does with album art.) That way you would get "dark mode" plus it would kinda "personalize" the UI to specifically your phone and not look identical to the one next to you.

Anything else, who knows really what Apple has on their back burner plans for it. But with it being the 10th iOS I'm sure they'll bring quite a few features (especially with iOS 9 not so feature rich and more about just improving on iOS 8.)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
While this is ridiculously early (seeing as iOS 9 isn't even out yet.)

Rebranded to iOS X (and remains that to feel closer to its bigger brother OS X.)

I think we'll see some design change. (iOS usually gets an overhaul in looks every 3-4 years.)

Perhaps a dark mode of they bring amoled screens to the iPhone 7 I've been sending feedback every so often to suggest that the UI takes on the colours of your wallpaper used (exactly how the new Music app does with album art.) That way you would get "dark mode" plus it would kinda "personalize" the UI to specifically your phone and not look identical to the one next to you.

Anything else, who knows really what Apple has on their back burner plans for it. But with it being the 10th iOS I'm sure they'll bring quite a few features (especially with iOS 9 not so feature rich and more about just improving on iOS 8.)
I can see design changes happening. People will say "NO... iOS had the exact same design from iOS 1-6, that's 6 years, not 3-4" but really, iOS changed quite a lot design wise with iOS 4, got further tweaked with 6, and then was overhauled in 7.

I don't know if we will see a complete revolution on iOS design in 10, but probably quite a few system-wide tweaks.

I DO NOT think iOS 10 will be called iOS X. You know how iOS gets a new "icon" every year with the number it is branded with? Well, that would cause iOS 10 to be symbolized by a circle with an X, rather than a number. Guess what OS X is symbolized by? A circle with an X. Just doesn't really work well to change things just to change things in my opinion. Also we would get tons of people calling it "iOS ex" just like how people call OS X "OS ex" when it is supposed to be pronounced "OS ten". Quite annoying.

The UI reflecting the wallpaper would be cool but I feel like it would make it way harder to find a good wallpaper than it is already. If the wallpaper caused UI colors that I disliked, I would have to throw out what would usually be a good wallpaper, which would be annoying. An option to disable this would be a must, if they added it. Which I highly doubt to be honest.

As long as iOS 10 rids iOS of UI quirks and stutter, or at the very least doesn't make it worse, I will be happy. iOS 9 hasn't improved hardly anything.

Reactions: 3568358 and east85

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I can see design changes happening. People will say "NO... iOS had the exact same design from iOS 1-6, that's 6 years, not 3-4" but really, iOS changed quite a lot design wise with iOS 4, got further tweaked with 6, and then was overhauled in 7.

I don't know if we will see a complete revolution on iOS design in 10, but probably quite a few system-wide tweaks.

I DO NOT think iOS 10 will be called iOS X. You know how iOS gets a new "icon" every year with the number it is branded with? Well, that would cause iOS 10 to be symbolized by a circle with an X, rather than a number. Guess what OS X is symbolized by? A circle with an X. Just doesn't really work well to change things just to change things in my opinion. Also we would get tons of people calling it "iOS ex" just like how people call OS X "OS ex" when it is supposed to be pronounced "OS ten". Quite annoying.

The UI reflecting the wallpaper would be cool but I feel like it would make it way harder to find a good wallpaper than it is already. If the wallpaper caused UI colors that I disliked, I would have to throw out what would usually be a good wallpaper, which would be annoying. An option to disable this would be a must, if they added it. Which I highly doubt to be honest.

As long as iOS 10 rids iOS of UI quirks and stutter, or at the very least doesn't make it worse, I will be happy. iOS 9 hasn't improved hardly anything.

I'm hoping for a moderate design refresh that takes more cues from OS X Yosemite/El Capitan which is a much more mature take on the iOS 7+ design language because honestly, the current iOS UI is starting to look a bit stale in my opinion.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
What do you mean? You don't think Apple is holding out for something huge for the tenth version?

Meaning iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 are still in beta. It's too early for these threads. Come back in January-March perhaps.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

iOS isn't symbolized by a circle. It's the same shape as an icon in iOS. A square and rounded corners (see image.) So yes, both can be OS X and iOS X (OS X circle with and X and iOS X with a square and a X.)

Of course people would call it iOS "ex". And OS "ex" is the branding. Yes the "X" actually means 10, but it's pronounced name and branding is OS "ex". It's long past the 10th OS. It's had 10 and soon to be 11 OS "tens".

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 272

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
iOS isn't symbolized by a circle. It's the same shape as an icon in iOS. A square and rounded corners (see image.) So yes, both can be OS X and iOS X (OS X circle with and X and iOS X with a square and a X.)

Of course people would call it iOS "ex". And OS "ex" is the branding. Yes the "X" actually means 10, but it's pronounced name and branding is OS "ex". It's long past the 10th OS. It's had 10 and soon to be 11 OS "tens".

OS X is not pronounced or branded as OS "ex." It is "OS Ten." What are you talking about…

It's been OS Ten for a while.
Look at the version numbers
El Capitan 10.11
Yosemite 10.10
Mavericks 10.9

So what're you talking about?!

Reactions: 3568358 and east85

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I personally like talking about this kind of stuff early. It is interesting to see what we thought about a year before it was released.

Anyway, I think iOS 10 will not be called iOS X. However, I have jiggled with the idea, so I would not be surprised what so ever if it was called iOS X. I do think we will see customization of the control center and maybe a way for developers to create more than just apps...like custom watch faces for the lock screen and Apple Watch is Watch OS 3. No idea...wAy to early to even guess.

Reactions: Dydegu

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OS X is not pronounced or branded as OS "ex." It is "OS Ten." What are you talking about…

It's been OS Ten for a while.
Look at the version numbers
El Capitan 10.11
Yosemite 10.10
Mavericks 10.9

So what're you talking about?!

Did you not even read what I wrote? I said "yes, the X in OS X is 10, but it's name is spoken as OS "ex". Even Apple has called by that verbally.

And I know it's been OS "ten" for a long time. Again did you even read what I wrote? I mentioned that already in that it's already been 10 OS "ten"'s, soon to be the 11th. Again, yes the X is 10, but how its spoken is OS X (the X said as "ex" the letter and not 10.) It's far from the 10th OS anymore and the branding on it is OS X + name. No one has ever called it "OS Ten Yosemite". Everyone (including Apple) say "OS X (spoken as "ex") Yosemite".

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Did you not even read what I wrote? I said "yes, the X in OS X is 10, but it's name is spoken as OS "ex". Even Apple has called by that verbally.

And I know it's been OS "ten" for a long time. Again did you even read what I wrote? I mentioned that already in that it's already been 10 OS "ten"'s, soon to be the 11th. Again, yes the X is 10, but how its spoken is OS X (the X said as "ex" the letter and not 10.) It's far from the 10th OS anymore and the branding on it is OS X + name. No one has ever called it "OS Ten Yosemite". Everyone (including Apple) say "OS X (spoken as "ex") Yosemite".

apple calls it OS ten.

just watch the first few minutes, you'll hear a bunch of "OS ten"

can't believe you said "No one has ever called it "OS Ten Yosemite"" lmao... go to 1:48

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
iOS X wishlist so far:

1. Improved DND, e.g. ability to schedule multiple DND periods per day and/or create weekly pattern, contact exclusions affect not just calls but also messages and other 3rd party apps (see 2)

2. A contacts API which enables 3rd party apps to notify the OS that a particular contact was the original sender of a 3rd party notification. Currently, you receive a WhatsApp from John and iOS has no idea your contact John has contacted you. This API would allow that. Benefits: a) you can exclude a contact from DND (see 1) and their calls, messages AND any notifications from third party apps from them will be allowed through. b) your recent/frequent contacts in Siri Suggestions can be updated when contacts messages you through 3rd party apps. c) potentially other innovate things!

3. Even smarter reminder events like
a) when i wake up - could be based on a multitude of things, alarms, movement of the iphone in the morning.
b) when i call x/when x calls me - stealing from windows phone. (along with contacts API in point 2 above this could also work with when you call contacts in 3rd party apps like whatsapp, skype etc.).
c) when i use x app etc. etc. etc.

oh and big one, mainly for ipad:
4. multiple accounts. the rumours from 9to5mac just before ios 9 about ios 9 were spot on, and included a thing about multiple account not being done in time but will hopefully feature later or in iOS 10. So fingers cross they come through on this. Hope it's on the iPad Air and not just iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
Meaning iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 are still in beta. It's too early for these threads. Come back in January-March perhaps.

I mean, I understand that pretty clearly. If we were going from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9, I'd be right with you, but considering the lightning pace of Apple, it's never too early to speculate / make a wishlist. I think a lot of people are expecting a "radical departure" (to some extent) just like from OS 9 to OS X, especially considering that iOS 9 is mainly focused on under the hood improvements, the new phones are doubling their RAM, etc.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
It won't be iOS X. Just iOS 10

Or my more wild prediction...
macOS 2016
iOS 2016
watchOS 2016
I like the idea of macOS.
Not the years though.
But making version less prominent in marketing and the way we talk about them (there will still be a version number, just like El Capitan is still 10.11)
Perhaps a codename shared across all three? Bit too android?

Reactions: 3568358

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
What do you mean? You don't think Apple is holding out for something huge for the tenth version?
Its a valid topic, but people out here aren't into discussing anything beyond marketing material.

For many people then "If it wasn't said on stage then its not worth talking about". That is why there are so many people praising iOS9 and El Capitan for focusing on stability, yet ignoring the fact that both Beta's are pretty close to launch yet haven't actually been as stable as we'd expect.

Its hard to claim that either of these "stability releases" are very exciting (or even well implemented). So to discuss what may be announced 10 months from now in iOS10 is fine because there is no chance that what we are seeing in iOS9 is the best that Apple can come up with.

Reactions: 3568358 and Dydegu

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
I like the idea of macOS.
Not the years though.
But making version less prominent in marketing and the way we talk about them (there will still be a version number, just like El Capitan is still 10.11)
Perhaps a codename shared across all three? Bit too android?

I think they'll stick with the codenames for OS for sure. It's possible they adopt codenames for iOS within a couple of years, maybe? As the two have both shared similar UI changes recently, using the same codename could work with just the unique prefix and version number. OS X | iOS X El Capitan, and then of course you'd have: OS X (10.11) | iOS X (10.0) El Capitan.

What I think that does though, is devalue the OS name and increase the value of the iOS name a little bit, and I'm not sure they'd want to do that. iOS could certainly gain a unique set of codenames.

februarian

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
They could probably do a display of important information function with the force touch on the icons! I think we'll see the Proactive, Intelligence features get further evolved & even more integrated into the OS.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA

Whole lot of incoherent blah. Apple refers to it as OS Ten and has for years.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

It took until iOS7 for the main UI design to change, that's 7 years. I doubt we'll see any major UI changes beyond the small tweaks we've seen in iOS8 and iOS9.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
It took until iOS7 for the main UI design to change, that's 7 years. I doubt we'll see any major UI changes beyond the small tweaks we've seen in iOS8 and iOS9.
I'm getting really bored with the iOS 7 look, I thought the previous iOS design held up and was much more attractive and intuitive.

How long will it be before people start clamoring for a new iOS design again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.