Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Arggg

I am a developer so I do this every year.

Bugs do not bother me. This year it broke my phone.

After going to iOS10 and using for 1 day, my phone always thinks headphones are plugged :(

I downgraded back to ios 9.3.2 .. SAME THING!!!!

Speakerphone on calls work fine.

Seems like iOS10 messed up the sound driver or something...

Not pleased with Apple at all.

BTW I have an iPhone 6s Plus

...Elmo Sad...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried cleaning out your headphone jack? Perhaps plugging and plugging headphones in as well?

Reactions: ladytonya

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
It's possible your headphone port or the cable is damaged.

Port was fine until iOS 10... Timing suspect... Cable not involved. No cable is plugged in but it thinks it is.

What is strange is speakerphone on a phone call does work

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
If you're a dev then you should know restoring back to iOS9 restores literally evening from scratch. There are no hidden residual files in some secret stash on the iphone. If it was a "driver" issue reinstalling iOS9 wouldve fixed it.

Bring it to the Apple Store, could be random hardware failure- coincidence.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Literally impossible iOS 10 did this if you truly downgraded, dude. It's coincidencental hardware fault/damage.

From what I am reading, I agree.....still strange timing...oh well. thanks everyone

Reactions: nooaah

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Funnily enough my 6 Plus did this yesterday. I plugged the headphones back in and unplugged and that fixed it. Maybe the port needs cleaning.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I sort of had a problem with the headphones/calls too. I plugged them in to make a call, couldn't hear anything. I unplugged them and it cut the call. They called back, and the speakerphone button was disabled. I used it like a regular phone, and my screen didn't turn off when I put it up to my ear so I tried to lock the phone and that also cut the call. They called back, the speakerphone button was back but I didn't dare plug the headphones in again. The screen just didn't turn off, so I had to make the whole call with the screen lit the whole time lol.

I haven't gone back to 9 though so can't speak on whether it's now a phone problem or not.

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Arggg

I am a developer so I do this every year.

Bugs do not bother me. This year it broke my phone.

After going to iOS10 and using for 1 day, my phone always thinks headphones are plugged :(

I downgraded back to ios 9.3.2 .. SAME THING!!!!

Speakerphone on calls work fine.

Seems like iOS10 messed up the sound driver or something...

Not pleased with Apple at all.

BTW I have an iPhone 6s Plus

...Elmo Sad...
If it doesn't work on iOS 9 it's hardware related if iOS 10 did anything to drivers (if iOS even has any) it would have been reinstalled with iOS 9

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
This is definitely unrelated to the beta and entirely coincidental. I'd be willing to bet there is some pocket lint or other debris in your headphone jack that is causing the phone to think something is inserted when there isn't. Sounds crazy, but take a vacuum hose to it, you may be able to resolve it on your own.

One more reason in favor of just removing the headphone jack altogether.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Bring it to Apple...they won't know you were running the beta if you don't mention it...especially if you're on 9.3.2.

Running the beta wont matter. It's not against Apple's warranty rules to run the official beta like jailbreaking say would be where they could (not must) deny it.

Even jailbreaking they are relatively cool about it and just restore it to stock OS. I had that one time total I had a hardware failure and the guy just mentioned something but restored it and swapped it.

Most hardware failures are still present regardless of beta or jailbreak and its swapped regardless.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Mine had same issue recently (not due to beta) - took to Apple and they replaced phone within 15 minutes. My phone was in greta condition, never dropped - sometimes it just goes faulty.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Bring it to Apple...they won't know you were running the beta if you don't mention it...especially if you're on 9.3.2.

To be honest, most of them don't really care either. They'll ask you to restore the phone back to release, but that's about it. Source: Used to work there.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
What about the watchOS beta? How do they handle issues while running that?

They will send it to a repair facility to have the software restored. You'll be without it for a week. This may have a cost if it's out of warranty, I was not working there past last winter, when every Watch was still in warranty.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
They will send it to a repair facility to have the software restored. You'll be without it for a week. This may have a cost if it's out of warranty, I was not working there past last winter, when every Watch was still in warranty.

So let's say the side button craps out while running the beta. Will they just repair/replace it under warranty or will they have to restore the software to see if that's the cause first?

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
So let's say the side button craps out while running the beta. Will they just repair/replace it under warranty or will they have to restore the software to see if that's the cause first?

There generally is no such thing as an in-store replacement. Every watch goes to a repair facility, where I am sure they will downgrade the software, verify the button is bad, and then either fix or replace from that facility. (They make you un-pair the watch before service, which wipes it anyway) Apple Stores do not have watch inventory to just swap them like they do phones. Managers sometimes make exceptions and swap for new inventory. I have also heard some of the larger stores have some limited swap stock, but Chicago did not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.