Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Outdoordude01

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
So are the live sports scores on the lock screen done by league apps (NFL, NBA, MLB, etc.) or by the new Sports focus in the Apple News app?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Such an exciting feature. But the ability to add on 4 widgets(or less if using a widget that takes up 2 spots) seems to limiting. Hopefully this will be expanded to a 2nd row in the futrue.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Gpulvi

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I ran into the same issue with apps I updated earlier today (in iOS15), though I'm seeing widgets for apps I installed post-iOS16-upgrade. Your mileage may vary but I had some luck offloading the apps through Settings-General-iPhone Storage then reinstalling (that preserves all the data, logins, etc.) Worked for Carrot, Fantastical and Overcast.
Thanks! That worked for me.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm not seeing any 3rd party widget options on the lock screen; only the default Apple ones so far.

When I try to add lock screen widgets, I'm not seeing Carrot in the list at all. I've updated it, launched it and rebooted my phone.
I noticed that only some third party widgets appeared on the lock screen to add. Other third party widgets weren't available. In the end a developer on Twitter indicated that it worked for him to change the main language of your iPhone to English which is what I did and then all my third party apps such as Carrot and Cheatsheet were appearing as well. Someone else indicated that their only solution was to remove and reinstall the apps that aren't appearing (since restarting the iPhone didn't solve it). Do keep in mind that the developer did have to update their app in recent days to support the lock screen widgets so do that first.

There are currently already 197 apps that I'm aware of that support lock screen widgets. See TS link to AppRaven list I created. I will try to add the majority here as well when I have time for it.

whileago

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2022
About the 3rd party Lock Screen Widgets not showing up:
The 3rd party app won't show up on the widget list if it was updated with widgets before you installed iOS 16 on your device. If you install iOS 16 first, and the update the app, the Lock Screen widgets show up.
This is a bug in iOS that Apple will have to fix.

As mentioned, you can reinstall or offload the app, or change device language to fix the bug on your device.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
About the 3rd party Lock Screen Widgets not showing up:
The 3rd party app won't show up on the widget list if it was updated with widgets before you installed iOS 16 on your device. If you install iOS 16 first, and the update the app, the Lock Screen widgets show up.
This is a bug in iOS that Apple will have to fix.

As mentioned, you can reinstall or offload the app, or change device language to fix the bug on your device.
Incredible that this bug made it through to general release.

Reactions: pacorob

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Disappointed I'm not seeing a sports score widget from ESPN or theScore. Anyone found one?
Live Activities is coming in iOS16.1 or later.
There are some third party lock screen widgets though but these update less frequently:

- FotMob - Soccer Lilve Scores
- Sports Alerts
- Forza Football - Live Scores
- Box Box Club

Reactions: miamialley

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Thanks for all the suggestions to add to the list.
In the meantime there are already 345 apps that support lock screen widgets (that the community and I know about).
If there is demand for it I can update the TS with the most interesting ones.

I really like also the empty widget 'Widget spacer!' by developer Richard Shilton which is a bit like Clear Spaces is for the homescreen widgets :)

spif91

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
NE Oklahoma
When I try to add lock screen widgets, I'm not seeing Carrot in the list at all. I've updated it, launched it and rebooted my phone.

Attachments

• 2CBA9885-9D99-4B57-BA78-E2A2DDE53EE5.jpeg
    2CBA9885-9D99-4B57-BA78-E2A2DDE53EE5.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Synomenon

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
The first app updates start to appearing in the App Store that have Live Activities (and Dynamic Island) support e.g.

- Timelogger Plus (App Store, website) by Filipe Martins
- Liftin' Workout Tracker (App Store, website) by Valter Hemmi
- Crouton: Cooking Companion (App Store, website) by Devin Davies
- Tally Quick Counter (App Store, website) by Agile Tortoise
- OneWidget - Lock Screen Widget (App Store, website) by OneNice Tech
- FotMob - Football Live Scores (App Store, website) by FotMob AS
- CardPointers for Credit Cards (App Store, website) by CardPointers LLC
- Magica - Mileage Tracker (App Store, website) by Dimitri Giani
- Aviary 2 (* the developer did abandon the previous version and didn't support existing users :mad:)

And I've seen quite a few other apps announcing an update soon with support on e.g. Twitter:

- FlexLog
- Rippple for Trakt
- Coffee Book
- Session - Pomodoro Focus Timer
- CalAlert
- Sports Alerts
- Drafts
- LookUp: English dictionary
- Any Tasks
- Planny
- Tide Guide
- FastBot
- Pestle: Recipe Organizer
- SmartGym
- Bolt
- MyMoves
- Structured - Daily Planner
- Scorespot

I can't wait to try it out when iOS16.1 comes out.

Last edited:

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Download/Buy Aviary 2 (live in App Store, will work when you run iOS16.1) at your own risk.

Dev abandoned (out of the blue) the first version and left paid customers out of pocket. And then decided to make Aviary 2.

No remorse shown towards previous paid customer or gave them discount.

Very shady dev.

I would advise you @pacorob to not promote this dev or his app.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Download/Buy Aviary 2 (live in App Store, will work when you run iOS16.1) at your own risk.

I would advise you @pacorob to not promote this dev or his app.
Thanks for letting us know. Users can always check out the App Store reviews so decided to retain it but added a note to it.

I've added quite a few apps that support (or soon support) Live Activities to the TS but please note these will only work with iOS16.1 when released and if the apps are updated to support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hansana and Sal09
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.