Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Any good Live Activities app for World Cup?
Do see the TS which has these four soccer apps which will probably indicate the World Cup. Unfortunately they are subscription based although some functionality exists for some even without a subscription.

- FotMob - Football Live Scores (App Store, website) by FotMob AS
- Sports Alerts (App Store, website) by Luno Software, Inc.
-
Scorespot - Football Results (App Store, website) by Dario Roa
-
BestFootball - world & euro (App Store, website) by Antoine Barrault

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Do see the TS which has these four soccer apps which will probably indicate the World Cup. Unfortunately they are subscription based although some functionality exists for some even without a subscription.

- FotMob - Football Live Scores (App Store, website) by FotMob AS
- Sports Alerts (App Store, website) by Luno Software, Inc.
-
Scorespot - Football Results (App Store, website) by Dario Roa
-
BestFootball - world & euro (App Store, website) by Antoine Barrault
FotMob only has a paid option to remove ads, i use the free version and it works perfectly fine including Live Activities.

Reactions: ledzepfan1981

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Do you need background refresh on for fotmob? it never updates the score unless I go into the app.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Do you need background refresh on for fotmob? it never updates the score unless I go into the app.
Had to check but seems i have it on for Fotmob, no idea if thats just by default or on purpose. Everything seems to update for me.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Please keep in mind you have to open the app first and start the Live Activity from there and keep the app open. To my knowledge background refresh is not mandatory but I would keep that on for such an app.

A Live Activity can be active for up to eight hours unless your app or a person ends it. After this limit, the system automatically ends it. When a Live Activity ends, the system immediately removes it from the Dynamic Island. However, the Live Activity remains on the Lock Screen until a person removes it or for up to four additional hours before the system removes it — whichever comes first. As a result, a Live Activity remains on the Lock Screen for a maximum of twelve hours.
source: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/activitykit/displaying-live-data-with-live-activities

FotMob only has a paid option to remove ads, i use the free version and it works perfectly fine including Live Activities.
Indeed you can use it for free with ads and subscribe to remove the ads. Not a fan of ads so always would like to remove those preferable of course with a pay once but in this case that isn't an option.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
The recent launch of my favorite (and the first and one and only) Launcher widget since iOS8 by Cromulent Labs released an update earlier this week in which support for Live Activities and Dynamic Island has been added.

I've also added parking, travel, hiking and live sports apps to the TS such as:

- SportsCal - Live Sports Alerts (App Store) by Mighty Panda LLC - various sports
- 90MIN (App Store) - soccer

Last edited:

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
The recent launch of my favorite (and the first and one and only) Launcher widget since iOS8 by Cromulent Labs released an update earlier this week in which support for Live Activities and Dynamic Island has been added.

I've also added parking, travel, hiking and live sports apps to the TS such as:

- SportsCal - Live Sports Alerts (App Store) by Mighty Panda LLC - various sports
- 90MIN (App Store) - soccer
I also have Launcher and hadn’t noticed that. Good thing you pointed that out …

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I also have Launcher and hadn’t noticed that. Good thing you pointed that out …
I do want to note that when you remove the Launcher Live Activity on the live activity area then this could lead that the complete Live Activity widget(s) no longer appear in the home of the Launcher app. To see them again you have to go to Apple Settings app > Launcher app > turn on 'Live Activity' again there and you should see the widgets for the live activities again in the app and activate it again to show as Live Activity. It is a bit unclear though how to see one again after the 12 hours are over to make sure to see it again. I just tapped one of the apps in my Live Activity in the launcher app itself and then it appeared again.

Reactions: Yptcn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.