Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
IDK what the big issue was... sure it took a while, but I got no error, no installation issues whatsoever. :)

Robinthebobin

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Error Message when restoring iPhone (-1)

Hi all,

Just tried to install ios5 and never got the 3200 error that everyone else seems to have been getting.
Instead, i got right the way through to restoring my iPod (after it had installed the software) and it kept crashing, saying my "iPhone cannot be restored.....(-1)" blah blah blah.
Turned iPhone off and on again and the restore worked fine!
Just thought i'd post in case someone else was having the same problem.

alangrehan

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Mine worked... eventually.

Went for a run while installing...

Came back to find the set up screen for iOS5 on my iPhone :D

But NO iTunes on the computer... Which had shut down and restarted. No itunes icons, nothing in program files on computer... like it had been uninstalled! :eek:

Reinstalling now.... If my library isn't there when it pops back up I won't be happy... Since my backup was in there! Otherwise I'll have to set up as new phone!

Update: Reinstalled and my library is there... 'restore in progress' - Thank god!

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I just finishing downloading and upgrading to iOS 5 on my iPhone 4. It took me exactly 30mins. No problems. Last time I updated to 4.3.5, I did it around 11PM PST.
So I did the same thing except this time I used my CAT6 cord to speed up the process. And WOW! I suggest everybody to use a CAT5e or CAT6 when doing this because it was fast!:D No joke. I am very happy now. Goodnight;)

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Try this, - turn iPhone or iPad on and sync. If you get an error message, drink a beer. Re-try the whole sync process, if it still fails, drink another beer, this time pop open a bag of chips. Try to re-sync. If this continues to fail, keep popping the beers open. Eventually, the sync will work, or you really won't give a crap, fall asleep then retry the update tomorrow when the servers aren't so busy.

You know I tried that - got through a 4 pack of Stella Artois and a pizza before my devices were all up and running.

Happy it's not slowed down my 3GS

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So I did the same thing except this time I used my CAT6 cord to speed up the process. And WOW! I suggest everybody to use a CAT5e or CAT6 when doing this because it was fast!:D No joke. I am very happy now. Goodnight;) [/B]
hahaha. That would make absolutely no difference at all. Most likely Apple's CDN (content distribution network) put you on a a different download server for the firmware. Plus a lot of the load from earlier today has died down.

DogcowUK

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Well Option - Update still fails on me with a error 3002, Option - Restore worked first time, currently copying 10Gb worth of data/apps back.

Stupid thing is getting a 4S tomorrow and will have to copy the same data onto that lol

Staffan

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Hi all,

Just tried to install ios5 and never got the 3200 error that everyone else seems to have been getting.
Instead, i got right the way through to restoring my iPod (after it had installed the software) and it kept crashing, saying my "iPhone cannot be restored.....(-1)" blah blah blah.
Turned iPhone off and on again and the restore worked fine!
Just thought i'd post in case someone else was having the same problem.

I get the same thing, so far ive gotten error -1 and -2 while trying to restore! Can anyone share some info or give any help please?

My settings are getting restored. But no apps and when i try to sync the apps i get the error saying that the file(s) could not be found for the apps.

Mercer

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
North West, UK
all im getting is error 1654 and i dont have a clue what it means. even after googling it. my itunes is up to date, so is my mac and the iphone is a day old :confused:

katana92

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Edinburgh
i tried 6 times yesterday but no luck.

this morning did it and no probs.....sorted in first go

didnt change any thing at all.

tip is try to do it early morning when most people and geeks are sleeping

less load on servers ;)

F1-YVR

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Gahh

I'm having the worst luck with this update!!! I would think that the servers would be fine by now, and after my 45th-60th time, I'd be getting some progress...

I'm getting the two most common errors:

• The "[3002]" error (after replacing the .ipsw file and option+clicking "Update")
• "This device isn't eligible for the requested build" (after replacing the .ipsw file and option+clicking "Restore")

I've been trying since Wednesday morning (Pacific time), and have tried every method that has been mentioned...

• Manually replacing the .ipsw file in iTunes' Software Update folder
• Adding the '#' sign to the gsm.apple line in Terminal
• Turning on Airplane Mode
• Drinking beer

It's been a good 16 hours of trying, and nothing yet.

My brother got his iPhone 3GS to update after his first try, and we were in the same house... If that means anything. Haha.

• Macbook + iTunes is up-to-date
• iPhone 4 is two weeks old and not jailbroken (Rogers / GSM / Canada)

Am I in Apple's bad books?? ...Should I get more alcohol??

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
I'm having the worst luck with this update!!! I would think that the servers would be fine by now, and after my 45th-60th time, I'd be getting some progress...

I'm getting the two most common errors:

• The "[3002]" error (after replacing the .ipsw file and option+clicking "Update")
• "This device isn't eligible for the requested build" (after replacing the .ipsw file and option+clicking "Restore")

I've been trying since Wednesday morning (Pacific time), and have tried every method that has been mentioned...

• Manually replacing the .ipsw file in iTunes' Software Update folder
• Adding the '#' sign to the gsm.apple line in Terminal
• Turning on Airplane Mode
• Drinking beer

It's been a good 16 hours of trying, and nothing yet.

My brother got his iPhone 3GS to update after his first try, and we were in the same house... If that means anything. Haha.

• Macbook + iTunes is up-to-date
• iPhone 4 is two weeks old and not jailbroken (Rogers / GSM / Canada)

Am I in Apple's bad books?? ...Should I get more alcohol??

Yeah more alcohol, at least the pain won't hurt so much.

I have an ATT iPhone 4, I've kept it updated to all the latest stuff.
I upgrade iTunes on Tuesday to the latest. I have the latest updates to Lion.
So come Wednesday I did the Software Update to Lion and the Security Update, silly me I am retired and got in right at 1pm EDT. Sat watching this thing download for hours, but it got done.
Then exhaled and downloaded iOS5 via iTunes, took a while but it went. I have iTunes 10.5. Connected my iPhone (which had been backed up earlier in the morning) and got all the error msgs. Tried a RESTORE settings and it's been bricked ever since. Now iTunes does not SEE my iPhone 4.
I did a power off of the iPhone and my iMac and tried again, that didn't work, it still does not see my iPhone and does the Logo/Status Bar/Spinning Wheel ad nauseam.
Eventually I went to bed.
Got up at 04:00 EDT thinking not that many people will be on, well it does the same thing. Apple logo for about a minute, then the status bar about 2 seconds, then the spinning wheel. No matter what I try iTunes does not recognize my iPhone 4. SO I plug my wife's iPhone 4 in and iTunes immediately recognizes it (so I know I have a working cable). I chose NOT to upgrade her software now (LOL).

I could use some love here, currently I have my iPhone plugged in and have swapped the USB connection, the only other USB device I have hooked up is my keyboard. It still does the same LOGO/BAR/Spinning Wheel thing over and over and over.

Tomorrow I have to take the cat the the vet, then I'm heading to the Apple Store if this thing is still not working. Somehow I have little faith it will, being it doesn't "See" my iPhone. Anyone help ???

I would be most grateful

Mike

magestik

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Thought i'd share my experience now.

I juste spent 1 hour on the phone with the apple care center.

In short, when upgrading the firmware, do not use any *.IPSW file, those files, including the one you can download from apple (http://appldnl.apple.com...) seems to be the files for developpers, not for us.

Since the 3200 error seems to have stop (it was indeed the servers not handling everybody), you need to delete whatever *.IPSW you have on your computer, and download it via itunes.

Worked for me, 18 hours after...

sls3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Same problem

Yeah more alcohol, at least the pain won't hurt so much.

I have an ATT iPhone 4, I've kept it updated to all the latest stuff.
I upgrade iTunes on Tuesday to the latest. I have the latest updates to Lion.
So come Wednesday I did the Software Update to Lion and the Security Update, silly me I am retired and got in right at 1pm EDT. Sat watching this thing download for hours, but it got done.
Then exhaled and downloaded iOS5 via iTunes, took a while but it went. I have iTunes 10.5. Connected my iPhone (which had been backed up earlier in the morning) and got all the error msgs. Tried a RESTORE settings and it's been bricked ever since. Now iTunes does not SEE my iPhone 4.
I did a power off of the iPhone and my iMac and tried again, that didn't work, it still does not see my iPhone and does the Logo/Status Bar/Spinning Wheel ad nauseam.
Eventually I went to bed.
Got up at 04:00 EDT thinking not that many people will be on, well it does the same thing. Apple logo for about a minute, then the status bar about 2 seconds, then the spinning wheel. No matter what I try iTunes does not recognize my iPhone 4. SO I plug my wife's iPhone 4 in and iTunes immediately recognizes it (so I know I have a working cable). I chose NOT to upgrade her software now (LOL).

I could use some love here, currently I have my iPhone plugged in and have swapped the USB connection, the only other USB device I have hooked up is my keyboard. It still does the same LOGO/BAR/Spinning Wheel thing over and over and over.

Tomorrow I have to take the cat the the vet, then I'm heading to the Apple Store if this thing is still not working. Somehow I have little faith it will, being it doesn't "See" my iPhone. Anyone help ???

I would be most grateful

Mike

I have the exact same thing going on, I might have to go to the local Apple store and see what they say.

SLS

andy603

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
Error 3004 for 3hrs but then worked

no clue why..I too suspect server overload but you'd never know it by that error message! Thank goodness my iPhone 4 works again..(Verizon)

tomvcs

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
So it's the next day, we're all refreshed.
Anyone having bad luck yesterday get things to work out this morning? I'm still trying to update my iPad with constant error 3002s. I won't even bother with my iPhone at this point.

mark73

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
So it's the next day, we're all refreshed.
Anyone having bad luck yesterday get things to work out this morning? I'm still trying to update my iPad with constant error 3002s. I won't even bother with my iPhone at this point.

It has took my Iphone 3GS 18 hours to sort out and I still need to change some things in Itunes its messed up, otherwise all seems ok

It wont stop doing something my Itunes artwork though

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
So I shouldn't click update but restore?
never mind its doing it right now. 6 backups (each 15mins) which were deleted and rewritten every time, later and it works. LUCK!!!

(Sorry, I missed this last night).

As I understand it, Update checks for a new iOS, downloads it, and then wipes and installs on your iOS device. Restore uses whatever version of iOS you already have, and wipes and installs on your iOS device.

So, once you've downloaded the iOS 5 update, they essentially do the same thing. The one difference is "Update" always does a backup, "Restore" gives you the option of skipping the backup.

(I also think if you do a manual backup, then Update won't trigger another backup. However, if the update fails mid install, the next time you click Update again it starts backing up again, hence the method above is more reliable.)

It still is all down to Apple's servers and the load on them at any time; but at least by skipping the backup step you can try quicker/more often, and have more of a chance of success.

Stanjara

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
Tried just now and updated without any problems...syncing now all of my apps.

Updated 3gs...runs smoothly

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
I have the exact same thing going on, I might have to go to the local Apple store and see what they say.

SLS

I know I got the iOS5 update downloaded and my cable/usb is good because I plugged my wife's iPhone 4 in and right away it saw it and told me "new software is available" to which I said NO. It's bad enough my phone is down, but she works and really needs hers. I have tried so many times today - it gets nowhere. I checked and I still have the backup I made yesterday so I should be halfway ok. But my doggone phone is in that darned LOGO/STATUS BAR/SPINNING WHEEL loop and won't stop it. I think the phone got wiped, then the restore from Apple failed because of some server glitch.
I think it's "take a box of homemade pecan butterball cookies to the Apple Store Day" on Friday. Usually the Genius Bar folks save me. That or give me another iPhone 4.

First time I have EVER had this much trouble with an Apple product. They tried to do a MEGA series of upgrades and out of all of it only the last part failed. I find my iMac is more stable and faster with those upgrades so that's cool.

Can't wait to try the new stuff. In about a month I get to upgrade to iPhone 4S and am eager to do it. This little episode was unfortunate but does not deter me from being a hardcore Apple Fanatic. Nope. I think it was just a bad break we got nailed by the server glitch at just the wrong moment. I'm glad others with similar problems got thru and got updated.

Good luck with your phone.

Mike

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lion update started at 5:15pm CST yesterday and finished sometime around midnight. Updating to iOS 5 took about a half hour this morning. All I did first was took all apps, pics, vids off phone and synced that way the backup wouldn't take as long. I'm glad I didn't have any of the problems I had been reading about! Good luck to you all.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
lots of errors

I was getting lots of errors, 3200, 1600 2006 1604, etc. I kept trying, and I also moved to a couple other USB cables.

Finally, I DID pull out all the other USB devices, and put in a latest usb cable from my ipad 2, and it went through no problem. Not sure IF that had an effect on it, but it didn't hesitate after that.

xkiller45x

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
mY fIx FOR 3200

I made sure my phone was backed up without trying to update and then I placed it into recovery mode, from there I restored from backup, it will take awhile but it gets the job done, make sure to leave your phone plugged up even after its updated because ur apps will need 2 b recovered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.