Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I should add - my iOS downloads (iPad and AppleTV) were very quick, suggesting the downloads are mirrored around the world; and the US downloads were so slow simply because the US iOS user-base is so big.

However, the failure was happening on authenticating when starting the Restore process: this is probably not mirrored but a single point of failure (or single cluster) in the US.

Not much point in everyone around the world being able to download the update from fast local servers, if everyone has to go back to an overwhelmed server in the US to authenticate. ;)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I made sure my phone was backed up without trying to update and then I placed it into recovery mode, from there I restored from backup, it will take awhile but it gets the job done, make sure to leave your phone plugged up even after its updated because ur apps will need 2 b recovered.

Didn't get a 3200 error yesterday on my 3GS.

Just a refusal to recover (tried twice)

This morning entire process was painless, no error etc.

So, must have been server overload.

The icons look sharper on my 3GS and everything is very zippy:)

Need to figure out what I can do to get rid of items I do not want (Newsstand)

I know folders etc., but I'd just like to delete them.

Kim in NC

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
I got the errors yesterday afternoon. It asked if I wanted to Restore - I said yes. Now, my iPad is wiped clean, iTunes won't recognize it and I'm floating between an Apple and the circle that clocks around on my iPad with no hope of anything.

Any clues as to what I should do?

Need to add - that I'm out of power on the iPad and it doesn't appear to be charging either - any ideas?

I'm LOST! and mad and tired!

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
For those of you with the LOGO/PROGRESS BAR/SPINNING WHEEL thing that won't stop. I found this on another forum and it's working... Doggone it it's working.

Open iTunes.
Connect your iPhone to the USB cable and USB port. My screen had the the LOGO/Progress Bar/Spinning wheel thing. Then you are going to do what is called a DFU (did not know what that stood for, but someone was kind enough to spell in out bit by bit, here it is

Try the update button, if it fails try restore. If that fails do a DFU restore.

DFU

Ok, you are probably looking at a USB icon on your device.
Leave the cable attached, press and hold the Home button (the round one on the front) and the power button (the one at the top).
Once the screen goes black (resets) release the buttons then quickly hold them down again.
Count to 10 (you know, say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10" out loud and then release ONLY the power button.
Keep the home button held down for another 10 count.

Now clear the errors in iTunes then choose restore.

After restoring select the option to restore the backup you took (it will have the time next to it so you know its the one you just took.

Well THIS worked, I'm restoring from my last backup (yesterday just before the upgrade) now.

Good luck, report your progress. I hope I helped you, it's so great to see my phone working again.

tomvcs

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I'm still having absolutely no luck with my iPad or iPhone. I've downloaded both .ipsw files and I still get "error 3002" if I option-update and "device not eligible" if I option-restore. Almost 24 hours since release and things are still plugged up? Surprising.

I imagine things will stay plugged up past tomorrow with everyone's 4Ss showing up.

Frankjake

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Siri

Of course for those of us who have a 1 year old iPhone 4 are not going to get the new Siri. I've been using Siri for about a year now. I downloaded it from the app store the very first week I bought my phone and now it's going away.

I've heard that we won't even be able to use the current version of Siri that many people have been using since it came out. That's a bunch of bull!

Apparantly Apple isn't too concerned about people using their phones while driving. They have the ability to make it almost totally voice controlled so those idiots who insist on texting and driving would make the highways a little more safe. Bad, greedy Apple.

NJMacJunky

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Everywhere, yet nowhere.
iOS5 update solution

Initially the trouble I was having was trying to download the update from Apple, it downloaded it after 5 hours and then it couldn't find the download and wanted to keep downloading it. So I started scouring online and found this site http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/12/ios-5-download-available/

This site has the update files for all devices, you download the appropriate file and when it is finished you hook your device to itunes, when it wants to auto update click cancel. Make sure you do a full back up first, because for these update files to install you need to do a restore. Once downloaded, click the option button and then 'Restore' in itunes, this prompts you to find the update file you downloaded and does the restore. I have used the files for iPad, iTouch 4G and iTouch 3G with no issues.

sls3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2009
Yesssssss!

For those of you with the LOGO/PROGRESS BAR/SPINNING WHEEL thing that won't stop. I found this on another forum and it's working... Doggone it it's working.

Open iTunes.
Connect your iPhone to the USB cable and USB port. My screen had the the LOGO/Progress Bar/Spinning wheel thing. Then you are going to do what is called a DFU (did not know what that stood for, but someone was kind enough to spell in out bit by bit, here it is

Try the update button, if it fails try restore. If that fails do a DFU restore.

DFU

Ok, you are probably looking at a USB icon on your device.
Leave the cable attached, press and hold the Home button (the round one on the front) and the power button (the one at the top).
Once the screen goes black (resets) release the buttons then quickly hold them down again.
Count to 10 (you know, say "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10" out loud and then release ONLY the power button.
Keep the home button held down for another 10 count.

Now clear the errors in iTunes then choose restore.

After restoring select the option to restore the backup you took (it will have the time next to it so you know its the one you just took.

Well THIS worked, I'm restoring from my last backup (yesterday just before the upgrade) now.

Good luck, report your progress. I hope I helped you, it's so great to see my phone working again.

This worked for me as well, I can't thank you enough for posting this.
Woooow

SLS

hippiejo

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
instead of you all trying to solve this by looking on here, why not contact apple support. I did today, well this afternoon. Because all morning I was getting an error c194 or something like that and the woman i spoke to was so helpful and she even called me back........

that error kept telling me that i had to update itunes to 10.5 which i had already done. So after lots of problem solving, the final straw was she made move the host file, copy it then replace it and straight away it started to work.

All i kept getting off itunes was cant restore phone......but this worked straight away.

so im happy.
No point sitting there getting frustrated trying to solve it on your own. Especially when the error is giving you options to fix it and it turns out to be something completely different

And the error 3200 means the servers are busy , or so i was told by some bloke from apple..............:D

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
Glad the fix I supplied you worked for you sls3000, my iPhone was dead so it was pretty hard to contact Apple Support since we are an all cellphone household with no land lines. And I got my iPhone 4 in May so I am not covered by Apple Care any more. That's why I needed another fix

Hazina74

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
iOS 5

Been trying to download iOS 5 for 2 days now. This is ridiculous. It keep saying 15,20, 30 hours and then it stop midway after waiting for hours.
Disappointing!!!!!

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
I remember I had the iPod touch and it took forever to download iOS 5; I didn't bother to install for about a week or 2 after when my brother reminded me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.