Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Glad to see there are some iOS 6 users who didn't upgrade their hardware to the IP5s or updated to iOS7 or was lucky enough to downgrade in time back to iOS6.

How many of us are left of the iOS 6 bread?

My personal reasons why I didn't update to iOS7:
I've tested iOS7 started back in June when it launched to the Devs, yes I'm a dev if anyone wants to know and also a graphic designer too. :)

1) Looks like cheese
There's only two ways to visually design a OS with a "Flat" look and unfortunately iOS 7 doesn't land on A or B.
A) Super flat non-gradient design must be a two colour scheme, such as Windows Phone 7 & 8. Unfortunately it's a waste of a high resolution screen and that explains how the Lumia 900 got away with their mid range specs during their launch.

B) Flat design with gradients that are very subtle with colour change, 3D F/X with minor shadowing and drop shadows, they must be constant across the board. Perfect example would be Skype, eBay, Google and Facebook mobile which had achieved this design aspect properly.

Honestly, iOS 7 looks like a page ripped out of Dora's colouring book, My Little Pony and a essentially a Teletubby phone. Its humanly impossible to have two neon colours that are in a gradient ion and sitting on a white background to look good. You can't even place bright yellow on white back ground.

2) Runs like cheese

The day iOS 7 Beta 1 was deployed, once I installed it I knew within the hour this is not a Beta build. Every time I explained this to someone, they threw "it's a Beta" card at me. If you look back at iOS 5 / 6 Beta 1 runs way smoother, barely any problems and it was quite smooth. Quite honestly, it was a alpha build and shouldn't be release at that state.

Fast forward to Beta 6, GM and Public Builds: I knew things were looking real bad when nothing got improved in Beta 6, time was running out fast and the current state of iOS 7 was nowhere near finished for a Public release. Once the GM build was deployed, after hours of a digging around we all find out Apple just added the new wallpapers and ringtones, all the bugs were still floating around. The day it went public, the night before I was already back on iOS 6 as a fresh, clean and new user backed up. During my experience of iOS 7, I was switching back and forth nonstop with iOS 6. I didn't want to be on iOS7, but my employer needed me to test his apps pronto from time to time.

3) Feels like cheese

Everything from the corny parallax F/X, slow animation of opening & closing apps and the stuttering from various areas, there's a lot to be fixed up. The most shocking experience of iOS 7 is on the iPads, it's a total right off and it's worse than beta 1 on the IP5. I'm pretty sure Apple is on over drive mode trying to get the iPad ver fixed up before the iPad 5 and Mini launches next month.

All in all, from what I'm seeing, 7/10 ppl updated to iOS7 out of curiosity and all of them have regret it, since they can't downgrade back to iOS 6. Its really unfortunate Apple won't allow iOS 6 to be signed for a few months more, until they can work out "some" bugs and keep their customer happy. Every time a friend of mine looks over at my IP5, they keep saying "you're so lucky you didn't update, blah blah blah this and that" Politely I explained I've used it since June and try not to make them feel bad about their situtation, they are really unhappy with it. All I can do is nod my head hearing the same stories over and over again, and give them my sympathy, it's really not their fault.

Last week I went ahead and bought AppleCare the night before my warranty expired, the AppleCare CSR clearly stated the warranty is still valid on iOS 6 and if I can prove its a hardware failure that's doesn't relate to any of the areas on the logic board, Apple will repair it. Speaking of my call to AppleCare, my call was made on 09.19.13 the day after iOS 7 launched to the public. AppleCare was happy to hear my call wasn't like everyone else's, which was nonstop calls about iOS7 and their demands to fix it over phone.

I'll update to iOS 7 when everything of everything is fixed up, but personal I don't see that happening any time soon and the list is pretty big for the unpleasant changes and problems. I've been happy with the way iOS6 was looking, I'm down for changes and make it a little flatter would be cool. The dramatic change for iOS 7 was too extreme, most ppl who don't even realize it doesn't look as "nice" as the presentation at WWDC. An eye for design is something you're born with, enhanced when you take a design course and fully brought to life when you're in the working field.

PS: It feels strange not upgrade to this year's IP5s and I know it won't be enjoyable with iOS7, I didn't realize there were so many bugs that will affect it as well and the list is growing quite massive as the days are rolling. Gonna miss the camera upgrade dearly. :(

Last edited:

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
My iPad 3rd Generation will stay on iOS 6 as will my backup iPhone 5.

However, my iPhone 5s (obviously) and iPad mini are running iOS 7. I like it overall but I definitely can see that the iPad version is a bit further behind in development than the iPhone. Hope they refine it very quickly.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm still running 6, but not because I dislike 7 overall. However, I plan to get a 5s when the local price drops (which should happen once Apple bothers to sell them here directly; at the moment the retailers are putting an "import markup" on them). I'm keeping my 4S on 6 in the meantime in case the buyer prefers 6.

During the "delay", I get a bit of extra time for Apple and third-party developers to fix up some of the bugs too :)

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA
My 4s is on 6.1.3, and will remain so. I do think iOS 7 looks better on the phone than the iPad, however I like the graphics of 6 way better. Put 7 on my iPad 4, and I really wish I hadn't. While the usability is rather nice, the esthetics suck IMHO.
I just wish I could dismiss the danged update badge. Guess I'll put settings on the last page, though I get in there several times a week.
Good thread, I'd like to hear what others think. Thanks!

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
ITouch and iPad mini

Still on iOS 6. One iPod Touch is on iOS 5.

So glad I didn't wait for Retina mini. Would have that ugly OS

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
My 4s is on 6.1.3, I just wish I could dismiss the danged update badge. Guess I'll put settings on the last page, though I get in there several times a week.
Good thread, I'd like to hear what others think. Thanks!

You can always "Erase All Content and Settings", resync a back up from iOS 6 and block your router from connecting to Apple's server to download iOS 7 OTA update when it's connected on to Wifi & Charging.

You won't see the badge and free up 1 GB of your storage.

Thanks to our friends over here with the instructions on blocking the update from your router. Super thumbs up to Oplix, Intell and the others.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1646519/

Last edited:

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Ya pretty much all the things you pointed out. It's slow, buggy, unoptimized in many aspects, bad battery life.

Downgraded before blobs closed

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
You can always "Erase All Content and Settings", resync a back up from iOS 6 and block your router from connecting to Apple's server to download iOS 7 OTA update when it's connected on to Wifi & Charging.

Thanks to our friends over here with the instructions on blocking the update from your router. Super thumbs up to Oplix, Intell and the others.

Will erasing all content and settings have nearly the same effect as a full restore? And will blocking the update cause any problems with iTunes restores and the like in the future?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own two iPad's and i'm staying put on iOS 6 until I see more polish from iOS 7.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Pretty much the same, only time you need to flash a restore is when you're messing around in restore mode for altering the firmware, like jailbreaking.

It shouldn't affect iTune restoring in the future, you can always remove those two addresses from you're router at any given time.

Will erasing all content and settings have nearly the same effect as a full restore? And will blocking the update cause any problems with iTunes restores and the like in the future?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Pretty much the same, only time you need to flash a restore is when you're messing around in restore mode for altering the firmware, like jailbreaking.

It shouldn't affect iTune restoring in the future, you can always remove those two addresses from you're router at any given time.

Hmm... I may do this so I can preserve iOS 6 on my 4S. Thanks. :)

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
All the iPhone/iPad devices on my Verizon family share plan will continue running iOS 6. I upgraded all our devices to iOS 7 for a day and a half, so that everyone could try out iOS 7 firsthand. No one decided to stay on iOS 7. Rolled them all back to iOS 6 in addition to rolling back iTunes from 11.1 to 10.7 as I had only upgraded iTunes per compatibility with iOS 7. So happy to have iTunes 10.7 back. Looking at screenshots online, YouTube videos or checking out a store demo simply isn't the same as trying something out firsthand for an entire day, especially where lighting isn't always controlled. The one prevailing issue we all had was with readability and eye strain due to the changes made to the UI, none of which attempt to ensure text based elements are easy to read and stand out as compared to iOS 6. Turning bold text on and so forth did improve readability, but only to a small degree. Didn't serve to eliminate eye strain at all. The stark white from the very top to the very bottom of the screen with many of the stock apps for instance in combination with the choice of text font/color and so forth I personally found to be unforgiving and headache inducing. Using iOS 7 much of the time for me was like having someone shine a flashlight in my face. That being said, irrespective of our decision to roll back to iOS 6 it certainly would have been nice for Apple to provide for an increased rollback window. Was very inconvenient only having "officially" one day to check out iOS 7 firsthand per ensuring one could safely roll back in iOS 6 in time before the signing window closed. For such a significant iOS update not increasing the rollback window I view as a total sign of disrespect to Apple's customer base.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I was using an Android phone until August (3-year-old Galaxy S running Gingerbread, hated the thing). I had my reservations about switching ecosystems, but I knew I wanted a phone that I would keep for a long time. I knew what was coming ("It's only a beta!" :rolleyes:), and that it would be my last chance to get iOS 6. So I bought a 64-gigabyte iPhone 4S on eBay, and never looked back. I loved the interface when I saw it on other people's iPhones, and it didn't feel right for me to have it taken away from me the moment I got it.

Before I even bought the phone, I anticipated that the app updates would introduce nasty flat designs, or worse, break compatibility with iOS 6 altogether (you suck, Evernote! :mad:). So I stockpiled over 100 apps from the iTunes Store in preparation for the coming 'flatocalypse'. It turns out I needn't have worried, about the latter, because Apple later changed the store to allow app downloads for older iOS versions.

When I saw it came with 6.1.3, I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to jailbreak it. But there's still hope yet if Winocm manages to do his thing.

Who knows, I may even upgrade to iOS 8 next year. It would have to be really good though.

Last edited:

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA

Yeah, not tech savvy enough. I read it the other day, and it looks like there are drawbacks as well. I guess I can live with the badge. It's in back with stocks and newsstand.:p

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
My curiosity got the best of me, although I knew it was a mistake. Evernote and other well know apps are issuing updates almost everyday just to return to use ability.

Fortunately in the Mobil Space, I've got my Stellar & highly enjoyable Galaxy S4 that's as flawless as any smartphone. Therefore I've chucked my iPhone in my desk drawer for a couple weeks till they sort this mess out.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I had upgraded my Mini and 4S on release but downgraded back to 6.1.3 on the 21st..

I downgraded simply due to one app that I have that was not working correctly under 7.0. If the app gets a 7.0 update, I'll eventually go back but till then, I'm on 6.1.3.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
iOS 6 is to William Shatner's "Star Trek" as iOS 7 is to JJ Abram's "Star Trek".

iOS 6 is to "Miami Vice" as iOS 7 is to "Breaking Bad"

iOS 6 is to Cindy Lauper as iOS 7 is to Adele.

iOS 6 is to translucent blue iMacs as iOS 7 is to aluminum unibody iMacs.

Embrace the change. It's good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.