Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Had an iPhone 5 on 7.0.4 but it had a faulty microphone, went to an apple store on 26/11/2013 and got it replaced, surprisingly the replacement was on 6.1.4!! Quite happy as I disliked iOS7 alot and I don't really know why I updated. Now I'm just waiting on the jailbreak :) Only thing I'm worried about would be tweaking it so much I would have to restore to iOS7 :(

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
So do a backup now and put it away for safekeeping.

Having a clean stock back up doesn't do any good, you can't revert back to stock without restoring it. If you decide to Erase all Content and Settings, it send the jailbroken iPhone into a infinite loop of the Apple logo and the loading wheel.

You can always use iLEX RAT to restore and reset the jailbreak, but going back to stock is not possible.

Personally I would not jailbreak that IP5, unless you're loading repos and Cydia apps that are proven to be 101% stable releases.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
3 out of 4 iOS devices in my household are still running iOS 6.

I don't want to replace a fast, beautiful and unique OS with an "Android Lite" with a "Nyan Cat" theme.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
3 out of 4 iOS devices in my household are still running iOS 6.

Same devices stats here. No devices upgraded from iOS 6 but the Mini-R came with iOS 7 installed. It's customized within an inch of its life and I await future updates that hopefully will fix the rest of the stuff that I don't like.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
After swapping my launch day IP5 due to a defect sleep /wake button in Feb 2014 and got a replacement IP5 on iOS 7, owning a IP5s on iOS 7.1.2 3 months later and currently owning 2x IP6 on iOS 8.0 / 8.1.2 at the present time.

I found another IP5 on iOS 6.1.4 in my boxes of iPhones collections I totally forgot about. My God it just feels so right with the speeds, load time, instant animations, smoothness and bug / crash free iOS build. The GUI does need some minor cleaning up, removing that glossy glass layer on the app icons will be fine, adding the new features and everything else is good to go.

The last of hardware of the Steve Jobs and Scott Forestall era is a keeper for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
I agree about iOS 6, it's the Snow Leopard of iOS. iOS 7 & 8 are terrible. I currently run a jailbroken 5s with iOS 8.1. My iPad 4 is running iOS 6.1.3 & I like it much better. I am on the hunt for a iPhone 5 running iOS 6 to replace my 5s.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
4S till it dies and iPod 4

I am running 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4s and 6.1.6 on my iPod 4. I choose not to upgrade my iPhone because, it looks ugly, less functional, and less reliable. I am glad I made my decision because, everyone I talk to is either Jelous I still have it or, are disgusted and coaxing me to update.

2 summers ago., I totaled my iPod Touch 4G. it suffered a nasty fall and, the hard-rive malfunctioned with a weird sound glitch (slightly too hot and, no music was played).

When looking for a new iPod last year, I wanted the 5 but, decided instead on a iPod Touch 4G because the 64 gig model was within my budget and, was guerenteed to have iOS 6 on it. :)

Overall, I do not regret my decisions made with my iPod touch and iPhone. I will be needing a new battery soon for my iPhone but, i am not getting another one because, I am not being stuck with a iOS 7 or 8 iPhone.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Happily running iOS 6.1.4 on my iPhone 5, and iOS 7.1.2 on a 5s. I will never upgrade my iPhone 5. I will also never upgrade to the trash Apple calls an OS now (ios 8).

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Surprised you haven't seen the most common and easiest bug to reconstruct, the status bar being stuck in landscape mode bug.

Sorry none of my browsers are uploading images properly since MacRumors went down.

Bolding the fonts in iOS 7 doesn't make the typography of iOS 6 return, the fonts are bolder than iOS 6. It actually makes everything worse by clashing bold & thin fonts with the pencil thin dividing lines and outlines. The entire design layout is right off at this point. The neon gradients, bold white fonts and the white or bright backgrounds is even more "busy" and harder to the eyes, b/c the "kerning" is too close together. First year of college Typography class 101, you would tossed out of class presenting that type of "mixed" fonts in your design layouts for your assignments.

Reduced motion is now even more whacked. In iOS 7.0-7.0.2 this function was very useful to get rid of the cheesy Lucky Charms parallax F/X and keep the animations running. Now with 7.0.3-7.0.4 you don't have a choice if you want to keep the animation and turn off parallax F/X. Turning reduced motion doesn't help with the speeds, the delays are more noticeable and you still gotta wait with the "new animation" The fade in & out F/X was introduced 10 years ago to hide how slow certain CPUs were running on the old Palm PDA and Treo 600s.

That was my biggest pet pieve of iOS 7. Setting wallpapers has become rocket science compared to its predicessors. Back with my iPad 2 in 2013, I hated the new Reduce Motion option in iOS 7.0.3 :mad: . However once 7.1 rolled around, you could disable the paralax wallpaper effect and, keep the animations. :cool: :D You still need a 3rd party app to make the wallpaper fit the screen but, thats ok for the most part.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Happily running iOS 6.1.4 on my iPhone 5, and iOS 7.1.2 on a 5s. I will never upgrade my iPhone 5. I will also never upgrade to the trash Apple calls an OS now (ios 8).

The downside there is not having some rather big security fixes with 6.1.4 for example.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The downside there is not having some rather big security fixes with 6.1.4 for example.

It's to bad Apple can't release iOS 6.1.5 for the iPhone 5. They release security updates for ML and Mavericks still.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I have just put my iOS 6 iPhone up for sale on eBay.
But there is no doubt that iOS is still much prettier in terms of icons.

TokyoKashi2011

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
I agree about iOS 6, it's the Snow Leopard of iOS. iOS 7 & 8 are terrible. I currently run a jailbroken 5s with iOS 8.1. My iPad 4 is running iOS 6.1.3 & I like it much better. I am on the hunt for a iPhone 5 running iOS 6 to replace my 5s.

Thank god I'm not the only one. I'm looking to get an iPhone 5 running ios 6.1.4 on eBay in a few days. But I want to collect every ios 6 device that was ran. From the 3GS to the IPod touch 4Th gen. Gotta catch em all! Lol

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I am still with iOS 6 simply because I love music and I do not like the 7/8 design. Also, iTunes has been crippled with iTunes 11 and 12 (iTunes 10.7 is still the best and it works with iOS 6 seamlessly without issue.) and the Music app has been destroyed in iOS 7/8.
Running iphone 5 with 6.1.4 on 10.6.8 with iTunes 10.7 and plan to do so as long as I can or until Apple makes some changes in the right direction.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I still have that "one" IP5 on iOS 6.1.4, everything runs super smooth on it.

Lots of apps can't be updated, but at least we still have the legacy downloads when I erase it and re sync the clean back up to it.

Since I started this thread, I've had a IP5 on iOS 7, IP5s on iOS 7 "still" and all the IP6 in 3 colours. I still enjoy using my last IP5 on iOS 6 a lot. Too bad Tim Cook won't allow the final build for iOS 6 to be signed forever.

The IP5 was jailbroken on iOS 7, made it looked like iOS 6 hybrid w/ the new features from iOS 7.

PS:
My iPad 3 is still on iOS 6.1.3, it can't handle any updates at all.

I also have a IP4 with iOS 5 shah blobs saved, but when I revert to that build it crashes too much. A stupid family member tried to unlock it with SAM Utlities, even when I told him it's impossible and they messed up activation ticket, no signal with any SIM cards on any carriers. Was force to eventually update to iOS 7, it totally sucks donkey balls.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.