Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi there!
I'm seriously evaluating to replace my iPad pro 9.7 for a new iPad Pro in the next refresh. I'm thinking in the 12.9 but I have the impression that the device (iPads in general) are more and more targeted to replace a laptop. If you go to Apple.com you will see that first picture of iPad and iPad Pro sections is a picture of the device with the keyboard. I just want a tablet. Any feedback on using the 12.9 as a tablet, without a keyboard?
Thanks!

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I used to use my 12.9" as "Just an iPad" all the time. I even had a separate folio cover just for that purpose--I would take it off the Magic Keyboard cover and put it in that instead.

I'd agree with @rui no onna though. I ended up liking that use case better than with the Magic Keyboard and eventually moved down to a mini with Apple Pencil. I can hook it up to my desktop accessories via USB-C anytime I want, so I think of my desk as a giant Magic Keyboard for it and I use it as "just an iPad" otherwise. I think if I were to move up in size from this, the biggest/fanciest I'd go is an iPad Air, and I have actually considered doing that often. But then I remember how much I love my mini 6 and I'm always like naaaaaaah

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks for the input. In fact my second option is the mini, I want something different in size than my 9.7. I had the 1st gen mini and was very happy with it. My wife has de M1 Air but I really don’t like the screen ratio, and does not give much than my Pro apart from speed.

Reactions: geta

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for the input. In fact my second option is the mini, I want something different in size than my 9.7. I had the 1st gen mini and was very happy with it. My wife has de M1 Air but I really don’t like the screen ratio, and does not give much than my Pro apart from speed.
You are going to LOVE this newest model of mini if you've already owned one of these before.

Reactions: geta

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I’d suggest that a great deal depends on what you mean by “only a tablet."

The overwhelming majority of the time I’m using my 12.9” iPad Pro, I’ve got the pencil in hand and I’m scribbling notes. And it’s perfect for that — I can mark up full-page PDFs without scrolling / zooming / etc.

Probably next on the usage metric is movies — but, granted, it’s typically attached to the keyboard to use as a stand.

I haven’t had much time for leisure reading of late, and most of that has been on the iPhone. But, were I to sit down with a book and just read, it would probably be my device of choice.

Last, if I happen to have it in front of me for one of those other reasons, I’ll do all the typical computer-ish things — Web, email, whatever. And I even have a nice SSH client; that combined with remote desktop applications let me (should the need arise) do almost anything I’d do with my MacBook Air.

But if your idea of a tablet is something Kindle-ish, small and one-handed and lightweight, it’s not very good at that.

There’s a reason Apple makes iPads in different sizes, and it’s not just price.

Start by figuring out what you most want, and pick the device that best matches that. It’ll be just fine for all the less important stuff, so don’t worry about anything other than whatever is most important to you.

In your particular case … do you wish your current iPad were bigger, and are you confident you wouldn’t mind schlepping something bigger and heavier? Then go for the bigger one. Are you really happy with what you’ve got? Keep it. Does what you’re using today already feel burdensome? Get a Pro- or Plus-sized iPhone.

Horses for courses.

b&

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I went from a 9.7” to the 12.9… and then bought a mini 6… and then started using the mini more and more, to the point that I sold the 12.9”.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have a 12.9 and Mini as well. If you’re wondering about what it’s like to hold the 12.9, basically I rarely do because of its size and weight. I only hold it when when I’m standing, in which case I usually cradle it with one arm like a clip board. Otherwise it’s always at least partially resting on something—lap, stomach, table, etc.—or fully resting on a stand.

One major downside to holding the 12.9 is typing. I find it difficult or annoying to hold the 12.9 and type on its onscreen keyboard at the same time. Two thumb typing in landscape is pretty impossible because the keyboard is too wide, and in portrait the iPad is pretty top heavy and the keyboard is still pretty wide. And holding the iPad and trying to type with one hand is slow, unless you pinch the keyboard and make it a floating QuickPath keyboard. But personally I find floating keyboards annoying (I wish Apple would enable QuickPath on the normal keyboard). You can use an Apple Pencil to write directly with Scribble if/when you have the Pencil handy.

On the other hand, I find the Mini the ideal tablet for holding (and typing)—just light and small enough to comfortably hold for long periods, which I often do and often one-handed (but I have to use a pop socket for that).

Reactions: DaPhox

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hi there!
I'm seriously evaluating to replace my iPad pro 9.7 for a new iPad Pro in the next refresh. I'm thinking in the 12.9 but I have the impression that the device (iPads in general) are more and more targeted to replace a laptop. If you go to Apple.com you will see that first picture of iPad and iPad Pro sections is a picture of the device with the keyboard. I just want a tablet. Any feedback on using the 12.9 as a tablet, without a keyboard?
Thanks!
Works as intended. Love mine. Return it if it’s not working out for you.

Reactions: robertosh

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Using a 12.9” 2018 since November 2019. Bought a MK with a huge discount at the end of 2021 (180 € instead of 399€ with amazon black friday). Using most of the time for tablet function simply removing the ipad from the MK, letting it on MK for writing and streaming 👍🏻

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have both the M1 and the 2018 model and I tend to use the 2018 model simply because it's thinner and lighter. Having said that I have both on their respective magic keyboards, but similarly only use there if I need to type, otherwise I detach them. I mainly watch videos (news, youtube, tv, movies etc.) but I only hold them when I move them from room to room, it would be crazy IMO to hold a tablet (even a smaller one) for hours in one hand in landscape mode. I have stands where they sit when I watch while cooking, eating, cleaning etc.
The longest I hold a tablet is when I read while standing, and in that case I use the 11", while in bed it's the mini exclusively... but it's never for long as I avoid using a device in bed for too long...

Reactions: robertosh

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Had the original 2015 and now the 2021 model, only ever really used it for typical iPad stuff - browsing, videos, reading, few games, etc. Don't personally find it unwieldy, though I was surprised how much difference the shape of the new models makes when holding it, while the new one is lighter it is slightly less comfortable to hold than the more rounded older model. not a dealbreaker by any means, but it would be nice if apple softened the sharp angles a little with the upcoming redesign, sort of like the new iPhones.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you’re wondering about what it’s like to hold the 12.9, basically I rarely do because of its size and weight.

One major downside to holding the 12.9 is typing. I

The keyboard is the one feature which I like on the 12.9. It is a full sized keyboard so I don't have to do any machinations to enter numbers - no pulldowns or switch keyboard needed.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The keyboard is the one feature which I like on the 12.9. It is a full sized keyboard so I don't have to do any machinations to enter numbers - no pulldowns or switch keyboard needed.
Having all the number keys etc available is nice, but again, my point was that the large size of 12.9” iPad makes holding it and simultaneously typing on it more difficult compared to smaller iPads. The large keyboard size only becomes an advantage when you have both hands free to type.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I use my 12.9 just as a tablet with smart cover. Works well for me as I use it alot for content. I do have the MK but don't use it that much. For keyboard work I use my mac book

Reactions: mr_jomo

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
have had nearly all iPads and have only ever used as iPad with case/Smart Cover etc
keyboards are for Macs imo

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
The 12.9 and a mini iPad is the perfect combination for me. I also have an aging 10.5 iPad Pro which is an even more perfect (but not necessary) combination, I won’t replace the 10.5 when it dies.

nothing compares to the 12.9 for me, it is perfect in every way other than portability. Fabulous screen, great size, good sound. If portability is a high priority and you only want one iPad there are plenty of choices, but none have a screen as good as the 12.9

Reactions: mr_jomo

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi there!
Thanks!
I am using my iPad 12.9 as a tablet without keyboard. I like the size for anything from reading to watching movies. I cannot see it becomes my laptop replacement due to some software I am using are functioning well only in laptop or desktop. For me, ipadOS is still limited for my workflow and lifestyle. However, other individuals are able to use it as laptop or desktop replacement per their workflow and/or lifestyle. You need to decide if you can use iPad 12.9 only as a tablet due to your workflow and lifestyle. Wish the best😊

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I am using my iPad 12.9 as a tablet without keyboard. I like the size for anything from reading to watching movies. I cannot see it becomes my laptop replacement due to some software I am using are functioning well only in laptop or desktop. For me, ipadOS is still limited for my workflow and lifestyle. However, other individuals are able to use it as laptop or desktop replacement per their workflow and/or lifestyle. You need to decide if you can use iPad 12.9 only as a tablet due to your workflow and lifestyle. Wish the best😊
You don’t have any issues with its size or weight?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You don’t have any issues with its size or weight?

I often use my M1 12.9 in tablet mode (I also have an MKB) and don't find the size or weight to be problematic. Other than my cellular Mini for some mobile use, I doubt I'll ever again buy a smaller iPad (I've also owned an Air and 10.5").

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just a comparison:

iPad 12.9, 1.5 pounds
iPad 11, 1 pounds
iPad Mini .6 pounds

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
What's your use case?

I use my M2 12.9 as a "tablet" daily. Use it for work, taking notes in OneNote. Drawing out IT system and dataflow diagrams. Upgraded from the 11in to the 12.9 and LOVE the extra screen real estate.

After work I do use it for finances, YouTube viewing and general browsing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.