Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I had the original iPad Pro and now have the M1 iPad Pro. I haven’t used a keyboard with either. They’ve both been fantastic! I do have a MacBook for any lengthy typing tasks.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
An iPad cannot be a one-to-one replacement for a laptop, mainly due to iOS limitations, but for basic/light daily usage its a great device.

Reactions: prospervic

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
An iPad cannot be a one-to-one replacement for a laptop, mainly due to iOS limitations, but for basic/light daily usage its a great device.
In truth, iPad was never intended to be a one-to-one replacement for a laptop. Once I broke free of this meme I was able to fully embrace and enjoy my iPad for what it is. (And yes, I do much more than "content consumption" using some of the many brilliant apps designed specifically for iPad.)

Last edited:
Reactions: flobach

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Not a universal truth as it depends on what you do with your laptop.
Even if you add a keyboard to your iPad, it will still be a compromise… but if you using your laptop for reading, media consumption, emails, web surfing, light photo/video editing and so… then yes, iPad can be a replacement. More then that, nop.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Even if you add a keyboard to your iPad, it will still be a compromise… but if you using your laptop for reading, media consumption, emails, web surfing, light photo/video editing and so… then yes, iPad can be a replacement. More then that, nop.

I use my M1 12.9 for processing very large RAW images in Lightroom and 4K videos in LumaFusion, neither of which I typify as light. I stand by my earlier comment.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I use my M1 12.9 for processing very large RAW images in Lightroom and 4K videos in LumaFusion, neither of which I typify as light. I stand by my earlier comment.
For hobbyist LumaFusion is a nice editing app, but it’s lacking many things compared to Final Cut Pro for Mac.

More power to you for having creative ways to use your iPad Pro other than glorified media consumption device. 👍

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
For hobbyist LumaFusion is a nice editing app, but it’s lacking many things compared to Final Cut Pro for Mac.

More power to you for having creative ways to use your iPad Pro other than glorified media consumption device. 👍

Don't have a Mac. I use Premiere Pro on a desktop for what I can't do on the iPad.

Reactions: geta

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Hi there!
I'm seriously evaluating to replace my iPad pro 9.7 for a new iPad Pro in the next refresh. I'm thinking in the 12.9 but I have the impression that the device (iPads in general) are more and more targeted to replace a laptop. If you go to Apple.com you will see that first picture of iPad and iPad Pro sections is a picture of the device with the keyboard. I just want a tablet. Any feedback on using the 12.9 as a tablet, without a keyboard?
Thanks!
In my opinion the 12.9 is not a tablet but a slat, the difference between them would be its comfortable to hold a tablet with 2 hands, a slat is better rested on your forearm and used with the opposite hand, something similar to ancient times and they had stone slats. I do have 2 great stands, one being a pillow from Amazon for watching shows in bed and a magnetic attached stand for when using it at my desk, other then no height adjustment on the magnetic stand I love it, even looks like a mini imac.

If your planning to use alot of applications that require type, you wont enjoy the 12.9, its a massive screen, but if your using it as a media display, responding to occasional email, or using it as a second screen to your mac (universal control FTW) its a great device.

I upgraded from a 11inch pro with keyboard, and I use my macbook pro mostly for typing applications now vs ipad.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Funny, I created an entire website on my iPad Pro, as well as completed several video projects.
I guess that makes me weird.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

It's lack of imagination that limits iPad more than lack functionality in iPadOS. As long as someone is stuck in the "laptop replacement" mindset (usually those who were introduced to computers via their corporate job), they'll never fully explore what's possible with this device.

It's like the majority who get a smartphone and only ever hold it in vertical orientation, even when watching videos because no one over told them they could (or gave them permission to) hold it horizontally. Only the curious few ever ask themselves "what if I turned it sideways?" and then open themselves to an entirely new perspective to explore.

Vertical videos are for those trapped in that narrow mental orientation, as if they've been put under a spell.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

You can use DaVinci, which is basically on par or superior to Final Cut. I personally use Lumafusion as my main editor, as it's easier to use and I have been using it for longer, but "complete" it with DaVinci for the most advanced features (bought the $95 studio version for iPad). No need to use a desktop video editor.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Don't have a Mac. I use Premiere Pro on a desktop for what I can't do on the iPad.

I'll expand a bit on this subject. I'm talking about my M1 12.9 as a reasonable replacement for my laptop, viewing the laptop as a mobile device. For me, the iPad is not a replacement as my only computing device, just one that generally can be used quite satisfactorily as my primary mobile device for travel, etc.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You can use DaVinci, which is basically on par or superior to Final Cut. I personally use Lumafusion as my main editor, as it's easier to use and I have been using it for longer, but "complete" it with DaVinci for the most advanced features (bought the $95 studio version for iPad). No need to use a desktop video editor.

Can the Studio version for the iPad do video distortion correction (e.g., adjustment for action camera wide angle lenses) like the desktop? How are the iPad rendering times vis-a-vis LumaFusion? I tried the desktop free DaVinci but it's hobbled by not using the GPU for rendering; with similar edits applied, LumaFusion on my M1 12.9 is 6X faster than DaVinci free on the desktop.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
It's lack of imagination that limits iPad more than lack functionality in iPadOS. As long as someone is stuck in the "laptop replacement" mindset (usually those who were introduced to computers via their corporate job), they'll never fully explore what's possible with this device.

It's like the majority who get a smartphone and only ever hold it in vertical orientation, even when watching videos because no one over told them they could (or gave them permission to) hold it horizontally. Only the curious few ever ask themselves "what if I turned it sideways?" and then open themselves to an entirely new perspective to explore.

Vertical videos are for those trapped in that narrow mental orientation, as if they've been put under a spell.
Don't get me wrong, iPads having their place.

I love my Mini 6, and using it on a daily basis since I got it. For its intended use it's a great device, and I'm still amazed at how far I can push it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I love my Mini 6, and using it on a daily basis since I got it. For its intended use it's a great device, and I'm still amazed at how far I can push it.

But no Pro-Motion! Jelly Scrolling! ... (Joking here - I have a cellular Mini 6 and also think it's a great device.)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Can the Studio version for the iPad do video distortion correction (e.g., adjustment for action camera wide angle lenses) like the desktop? How are the iPad rendering times vis-a-vis LumaFusion? I tried the desktop free DaVinci but it's hobbled by not using the GPU for rendering; with similar edits applied, LumaFusion on my M1 12.9 is 6X faster than DaVinci free on the desktop.
I haven't tried that but for instance it's better than lumafusion at stabilisation (so I stabilise in DaVinci) and I think it's not even one of the paid features. Paid features where it's better are for instance noise reduction, muche better in DaVinci. Also AI creation of subtitles (impressive). And other things that you have in Lumafusion but not in the free DaVinci like external monitor support. I haven't really compared rendering times, as I only use it for specific edits like stabilisation, noise removal etc. I still do the main editing in Lumafusion

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I haven't tried that but for instance it's better than lumafusion at stabilisation (so I stabilise in DaVinci) and I think it's not even one of the paid features. Paid features where it's better are for instance noise reduction, muche better in DaVinci. Also AI creation of subtitles (impressive). And other things that you have in Lumafusion but not in the free DaVinci like external monitor support. I haven't really compared rendering times, as I only use it for specific edits like stabilisation, noise removal etc. I still do the main editing in Lumafusion

I found in their documentation that Lens Distortion is supported in Studio on the iPad.

Edit: And this for LumaFusion but LumaFusion does not explicitly have lens distortion correction (per their own forum) -

Last edited:

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland

I think that I will wait for the next mini update, unless they do something really stunning on the new Pros. I discarded the 12.9 and I was also considering the normal Pro, but checking the specs, it has just a bit more resolution than the mini ( 2388 x 1668 vs 2266 x 1488) so thanks to the higher dpi of the mini (326 vs 264 the Pro) you will see similar amount of content on screen but just smaller which is fine for me.

Reactions: Pezimak and geta

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think that I will wait for the next mini update, unless they do something really stunning on the new Pros. I discarded the 12.9 and I was also considering the normal Pro, but checking the specs, it has just a bit more resolution than the mini ( 2388 x 1668 vs 2266 x 1488) so thanks to the higher dpi of the mini (326 vs 264 the Pro) you will see similar amount of content on screen but just smaller which is fine for me.
Not really. Thanks to the new iPadOS scaling feature on the pro you can see more, actually as much on the 11" as the 12.9" (just smaller) and definitely more than the mini

Reactions: robertosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.