Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Android = best software
Apple = best hardware

Wish one or the other would resolve their issues, hehe.

Android is great for some people, IOS is great for others. I was a die hard w7 guy, always upgrading, cooking own roms, till I used the iPhone 2G.

User experience is unmatched on IOS, and all my android friends agree. They just like open-ness and 'you shouldnt have to jailbreak'.

You cant keeep throwing more and more processing power at something that doesnt work properly in the 1st place, hence why I'm with Apple stilll.

So I would disagree with your comment. I think Android have the best hardware and Apple by far the best software.

:cool:

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Android is great for some people, IOS is great for others. I was a die hard w7 guy, always upgrading, cooking own roms, till I used the iPhone 2G.

User experience is unmatched on IOS, and all my android friends agree. They just like open-ness and 'you shouldnt have to jailbreak'.

You cant keeep throwing more and more processing power at something that doesnt work properly in the 1st place, hence why I'm with Apple stilll.

So I would disagree with your comment. I think Android have the best hardware and Apple by far the best software.

:cool:

If Apple allowed mods like themes, widgets, keyboard changes, etc, I'd agree. We're in this thread for a reason tho.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
That's why you're in here trying to find a jailbreak to make your hardware usable, and the company you're defending is in washington trying to get laws passed to make jailbreaking illegal.
Wrong on all counts.
1. My jailbroken iPad 1 is perfectly usable thanks & I am very happy with it.
2. I don't defend Apple. I know what they are and accept that.
3. Jail breaking will never be made 'illegal'. what possible crime could it be?

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Wrong on all counts.
1. My jailbroken iPad 1 is perfectly usable thanks & I am very happy with it.
2. I don't defend Apple. I know what they are and accept that.
3. Jail breaking will never be made 'illegal'. what possible crime could it be?

1) Point made, to make it usable the way you want, it must be JB'd.
2) You defend their actions while acting against them. That's hypocrisy.
3) Sorry, didn't mean illegal. They'll lobby washington to pass laws making it more difficult for individuals to defend themselves behind existing protections. It's politics 101.

TooMuch

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
If Apple allowed mods like themes, widgets, keyboard changes, etc, I'd agree. We're in this thread for a reason tho.

I hate to burst your bubble. But most androil phones do not have the latest and greatest OS. How do I know this? I own a Samsung Epic 4g. I just got Froyo. I will probably never see Gingerbread. Until they find a way to update the phones to the latest OS. Android sucks!! I love my iPad and miss the iPhone.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I hate to burst your bubble. But most androil phones do not have the latest and greatest OS. How do I know this. I own a Samsung Epic 4g. I just got Froyo. I will probably never see Gingerbread. Until they find a way to update the phones to the latest OS. Android sucks!! I love my iPad and miss the iPhone.

Well at least on Android if you WANT the latest OS you CAN have it. On iPhone if you want to be jailbroken you CANT have the latest OS more times than not, especially lately. If Android sux, switch back to iPhone, see how you love it after you're back.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Well at least on Android if you WANT the latest OS you CAN have it. On iPhone if you want to be jailbroken you CANT have the latest OS more times than not, especially lately. If Android sux, switch back to iPhone, see how you love it after you're back.
Basically your nose is out of joint because you made a mistake when you bought your iPad2. so get rid of it if you hate it so much. just stop whining about things that are never going to change. it's very boring.

TooMuch

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Jump over to XDA and search. It's there. Not the most fully baked solution yet, but at least it's something.

Here is a list of things that do and do not work. like i said earlier, until google finds a way to update all the phones to the latest OS. Android sucks!!
With that said, a short list of things that DO work.

Radio works fully - Calling, SMS, Data
Bluetooth works for music only.
Wifi works fully.
Sensors work, but may be slow. Run /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha in terminal or via adb, place the phone on a flat surface, and hit Enter. Reboot the phone and sensors will function at normal speed.

What does NOT work ::

GPS
Camera
HW Acceleration in UI and in video, etc.

and 4G (might never work)

If this is acceptable to you, I have a slightly used bridge for sale. You can have it for real cheap.

Last edited:

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Well, I had the Xoom first and I can assure you it's not better than the iPad 2. Heavy as a brick as well. Xoom 2 will debut real soon with the size of new iPad and 10.1/8.9....Watch!

My sister has it, I'm aware it's "heavier" but only by about 1/4 of a lb... don't be dramatic, the old iPad that you LOVED was way way heavier. This is still barely heavier than iPad 2.

Xoom 2 will debut real soon? Xoom WiFi came out THREE DAYS AGO, lol. You're clearly not up to date with the Xoom.

And show me ANY evidence that there's an 8.9 or 10.1 iPad coming out... jeez, you just spout sh@$ out your a@$

Hyakku

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
It's an April's Fool gag, ipad2 has not been jailbroken.

The 4.3.1 exploit of ionics isn't for iPad 2 owners, but it's not an april fools, he gave it to them a few days ago.

Presently, only poisixninja and the chronic team are working on iPad 2 jbs afaik. Comexs exploit was patched in 4.3.1 and it doesn't seem like he's going to release his old 4.3 exploit, although I could be wrong. He was waiting for chpwn to provide an iPad 2 bottom dump but I don't know whats going on with that. His parody account claims he just needs to finish the artwork on the new jb, but im pretty sure that actually is an April fools joke as it's not from his regular account.

As for all others, can't comment on other ppl not in the scene, can't know if they are legit or not unti they release. If anything changes through twitter or anything I'll post here. Late.

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
it doesn't seem like he's going to release his old 4.3 exploit, although I could be wrong. He was waiting for chpwn to provide an iPad 2 bottom dump but I don't know whats going on with that.

What's the reasoning that he won't release the 4.3 exploit? That's disappointing. A lot of people are still on 4.3 on the iPad 2.

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
What's the reasoning that he won't release the 4.3 exploit? That's disappointing. A lot of people are still on 4.3 on the iPad 2.

Anyone posting on here that hes not going to release it is obviously a newcomer and is reading this information from crap sites. Comex never once said he was not releasing it, Musclenerd is working on getting Cydia to work properly, and ironing out any-other JB releated issues. This is most likely what is going on. Comex has posted a screen of the file directory for his exploit on his twitter account. I would not doubt if the iPad 2 JB is released in the same tool but is still tethered while the rest is not. If you want accurate information start following the key players on Twitter, and quit relying on an public forum for information.

ajjl

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
question about ipad2 fw 4.3 shsh with tinyumbrella

i have ipad2 with 4.3 after i saved the shsh using tinyumbrella it shows 4.3.1 in the list of saved shsh, but it does show 4.3 in the installed fw. is that normal?

Hyakku

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone posting on here that hes not going to release it is obviously a newcomer and is reading this information from crap sites. Comex never once said he was not releasing it, Musclenerd is working on getting Cydia to work properly, and ironing out any-other JB releated issues. This is most likely what is going on. Comex has posted a screen of the file directory for his exploit on his twitter account. I would not doubt if the iPad 2 JB is released in the same tool but is still tethered while the rest is not. If you want accurate information start following the key players on Twitter, and quit relying on an public forum for information.

Umm...this is all taken directly from their twitter. Comex himself responded to someone asking if they should wait for ion1cs untethered for a 4.3 and up jb or if he was doing one and he said to wait. There literally no indication right now that he's working on a 4.3 jb for the iPad 2. Joshua (of green poison fame) is, as far as I know, the only one that has directly stated that he is in the process of working on an iPad 2 jb. This doesn't mean that comex is not working on another exploit for the iPad 2, but telling people that he definitely is is wrong. Im pretty sure the directory you are talking about is where the exploit was at before 4.3.1.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
i have ipad2 with 4.3 after i saved the shsh using tinyumbrella it shows 4.3.1 in the list of saved shsh, but it does show 4.3 in the installed fw. is that normal?

Yes, perfectly normal. It saves SHSH for the most recent firmware, regardless of which firmware is installed on your device.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
It will only save whatever shsh files Apple's currently signing (and right now that's only the 4.3.1 file).

The X Factor

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
The 4.3.1 exploit of ionics isn't for iPad 2 owners, but it's not an april fools, he gave it to them a few days ago.

Presently, only poisixninja and the chronic team are working on iPad 2 jbs afaik. Comexs exploit was patched in 4.3.1 and it doesn't seem like he's going to release his old 4.3 exploit, although I could be wrong. He was waiting for chpwn to provide an iPad 2 bottom dump but I don't know whats going on with that. His parody account claims he just needs to finish the artwork on the new jb, but im pretty sure that actually is an April fools joke as it's not from his regular account.

As for all others, can't comment on other ppl not in the scene, can't know if they are legit or not unti they release. If anything changes through twitter or anything I'll post here. Late.

This is the first valuable post to those of us that don't follow twitter. So, your understanding is that someone is working on a 4.3.1 jailbreak for the iPad 2? Your response is much appreciated.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
My sister has it, I'm aware it's "heavier" but only by about 1/4 of a lb... don't be dramatic, the old iPad that you LOVED was way way heavier. This is still barely heavier than iPad 2.

Xoom 2 will debut real soon? Xoom WiFi came out THREE DAYS AGO, lol. You're clearly not up to date with the Xoom.

And show me ANY evidence that there's an 8.9 or 10.1 iPad coming out... jeez, you just spout sh@$ out your a@$

I'm talking about the samsung 10.1 and 8.9 that was revamped due to the iPad 2. That makes the xoom the biggest tab in the game. The wifi version was already being released and most likely made, so they had to ship them. I wouldn't doubt a xoom 2 being announced by end of summer.

If I mention 10.1 and 8.9 and you relate that to an iPad, with all the talk of the new sam tabs, you obviously have no clue what's going on, but I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.