Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If you put it that way, he doesn't even need to design a GUI for his jailbreak since the 'smart' ones will know how to execute Spirit via. the Terminal. ;)

Just let him do things at his own pace.

Well that's blowing it a bit out of proportion! We're talking about instructions here. And yes, I don't care about a GUI if there are instructions! :D

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Guys quick note...notice the username in the chat is "comex_" and not "comex". When I asked him if it was him he said no. Just an FYI.

Yup, just confirmed myself. IRC log was fake. Thanks for the tip.

Spirit isn't confirmed for tomorrow. However, it's ready for release. He's just giving people time to do the SHSH backups.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I wish he'd release it! If people are dumb enough not to follow instructions and back up their ECID, well more fool them. Release it, pleeeeease! :)
It appears you might need your SHSH file to perform this, rather than backing it up just in case. People are still waiting for their iPads to be delivered. He might not want Apple to patch this before they can get their SHSH backed up.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It appears you might need your SHSH file to perform this, rather than backing it up just in case. People are still waiting for their iPads to be delivered. He might not want Apple to patch this before they can get their SHSH backed up.

BUt outta curiosity I wouldn't need to do the shsh thing with an iPod touch or iPad right? Isn't that shsh backup only for the iPhone and wanting to unlock it?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
BUt outta curiosity I wouldn't need to do the shsh thing with an iPod touch or iPad right? Isn't that shsh backup only for the iPhone and wanting to unlock it?
I'm hearing that you should be backing up the iPad as well for this jailbreak. I haven't heard about the touch, but I'd assume so (at least for the newest generation).

As for unlocking, spirit won't unlock the phones at all, only jb them.

Edit:
The Spirit jailbreak is most useful for newer devices: iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, and the iPads. Unfortunately those devices are the same ones that Apple can prevent you from downgrading unless you’ve got a backup of your personalized SHSH blobs. Unless you’ve backed up your SHSH blobs for vulnerable firmware versions, you’ll lose the ability to use the current Spirit jailbreak if you accidentally upgrade.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

If the Dev Team and Comex says you should do it, you should just do it. You don't have anything to lose.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Just used umbrella to send my SHSH to Saurik and also save a local copy. Bring on the Jailbreak! I've been stuck with 3.1.3 and the new bootrom on my iPhone for too long!

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
UPDATE:

Official tweet from @Comex, confirming that release won't be tomorrow. He wants all the people who haven't received their iPad 3Gs to receive them first and back up the SHSHs.

Also, according to another tweet, he stated that you should use Apple's server when using Firmware Umbrella.

ClaireL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2010
New Jersey
mikethebigo said:
Just used umbrella to send my SHSH to Saurik and also save a local copy. Bring on the Jailbreak! I've been stuck with 3.1.3 and the new bootrom on my iPhone for too long!

JB'd my old ipod touch but how on earth do I send a SHSH Thing if my iPad is not obviously jailbroken?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
UPDATE:

Official tweet from @Comex, confirming that release won't be tomorrow. He wants all the people who haven't received their iPad 3Gs to receive them first and back up the SHSHs.

Also, according to another tweet, he stated that you should use Apple's server when using Firmware Umbrella.

Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic, but I don't necessarily read that tweet to mean it won't be coming tomorrow, just that he didn't confirm it will be.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Can someone explain what exactly the benefits to jailbreak the ipad are?

bibbz

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Why do i need to backup my shsh? And what is an shsh?

I've never done this on my iPhone, so i don't understand.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Can someone explain what exactly the benefits to jailbreak the ipad are?

This. I had an iPhone and never jailbroke it because honestly I don't even know what it really does and all the jargon goes over my head. What is the reason to do it on the iPad?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
This. I had an iPhone and never jailbroke it because honestly I don't even know what it really does and all the jargon goes over my head. What is the reason to do it on the iPad?

For example, you can customize your springboard and icons with themes and skins:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/868233/

(screenshots)

There are various useful apps that are not available in the official App Store.

Can anyone confirm if the same procedure for SHSH backup on iPhone will work for iPad? i.e., get the ECID the same way, run firmware umbrella? And do I understand correctly that you pick Apple, not Saurik in the dropdown?

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
For example, you can customize your springboard and icons with themes and skins:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/868233/

(screenshots)

There are various useful apps that are not available in the official App Store.

Can anyone confirm if the same procedure for SHSH backup on iPhone will work for iPad? i.e., get the ECID the same way, run firmware umbrella? And do I understand correctly that you pick Apple, not Saurik in the dropdown?

and u pick both apple and saurik per dev team
nope...goto the first page in this thread. it will tell ya. u have to put the ipad in recovery mode and go into ur sys profiler to retrieve the ecid

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
and u pick both apple and saurik per dev team
nope...goto the first page in this thread. it will tell ya. u have to put the ipad in recovery mode and go into ur sys profiler to retrieve the ecid

Thanks, I guess I never read page 1 of this one, I was getting it mixed up with the other iPad/JB thread.

I seem to have gotten it working, although it was more tricky to get the iPad into recovery mode than I remembered from my iPhone.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Releasing the jailbreak has NO effect on people backing up their ECID. You can still back it up after a new firmware release pops up. You just can't restore to this firmware if you don't back up the ECID to an SHSH file first. So, again, I don't see the logic in waiting at all. Unless I'm missing something. :)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Releasing the jailbreak has NO effect on people backing up their SHSH. You can still back it up after a new firmware release pops up. You just can't restore to this firmware if you don't. So, again, I don't see the logic in waiting at all.
Being that it is a userland jailbreak, it is believed that Apple will provide an update to patch the exploit immediately after the release of Spirit. Once Apple releases a new firmware you can no longer get the SHSH file for an older firmware, thus you can no longer install the old firmware if something goes wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.