Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Being that it is a userland jailbreak, it is believed that Apple will provide an update to patch the exploit immediately after the release of Spirit. Once Apple releases a new firmware you can no longer get the SHSH file for an older firmware, thus you can no longer install the old firmware if something goes wrong.

Is that true, though? Doesn't the umbrella thing work anymore or something? I mean I guess I don't see how a new firmware being released has any effect on my getting the ECID SSH file from my iPad running a release firmware.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Is that true, though? Doesn't the umbrella thing work anymore or something? I mean I guess I don't see how a new firmware being released has any effect on my getting the ECID SSH file from my iPad running a release firmware.

Apple only signs the current firmware.

Example: If Apple starts with version 1, you can install that all you want. Then they release version 2. At this point, version 1 is no longer signed and you can't install it unless you backed up you SHSH.

The device does not sign it, Apple does. iTunes gets the ECID from your phone and the version of the firmware you are trying to install and sends them both to Apple. If its the current firmware, apple sends back the SHSH file and iTunes installs the firmware. If you are trying to install old firmware, Apple will not sign it, the SHSH will not come back properly, and iTunes will not install it. This has nothing to do with which firmware is on the device.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
whats the point up backing up shsh on iPad if theres no firmware to downgrade to?

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
To the people who refuse to take 5 minutes backing up the SHSH:

No one is saying you have to back up. Just don't blame the Dev Team when something unexpected happens and you can't jailbreak ever again.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
whats the point up backing up shsh on iPad if theres no firmware to downgrade to?
Count about 6 posts up and read what I wrote. The exploit could be patched days/hours after the release of Spirit. By then its too late to save the current SHSH files and you'll won't be able to downgrade.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

I would assume its cause of the patch Apple will most likely issue once Spirit is out in the wild...

..But then again i've never even heard of SHSH and am still pretty confused as to what all this stuff is (though I have jailbroken before).

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Watching the daily stream of people in the iPhone hacks forum whingeing because they didn't back up when they should have and now cannot JB was all the convincing I needed.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Gosh, if this exploit's going to be repaired via hours or days via a new firmware, its making me want to go out a buy an ipad now. Otherwise i may be stuck with a (future) firmware that cant be JB'd.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Gosh, if this exploit's going to be repaired via hours or days via a new firmware, its making me want to go out a buy an ipad now. Otherwise i may be stuck with a (future) firmware that cant be JB'd.

And it could take longer. Who knows. Previously, Apple patched an exploit in less than a day.

“This morning, less than 24 hours after a demonstration of this exploit, we’ve issued a free software update that eliminates the vulnerability from the iPhone.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/apple-patch-sms/

If you purchase an iPad it will come with the current firmware so even if Apple patches it, you should be able to JB it. You just won't be able to start over if things go bad.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

That's why I didn't wait for gen 2. Do you remember how long it took before 3GS was jailbroken and unlocked?

Stngray

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Goodyear, AZ
Backed up SHSH, and waiting. I think jailbreak is going to be a much bigger deal on iPad due to the innate abilities over iPhone/iPod Touch. Heck, I haven't done a jailbreak on my iPhone in over a year, but am chomping at the bit to jailbreak my iPad.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
So is this back up just for if you accidentally upgrade?

In the case of iPhone and iPod touch, that is the case. We don't really know why why need to do it for the iPad, but if the pros say do it, I think it's worth spending five minutes of your time to do so.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Can anyone point me to some step by step instructions for this backup thing and possibly the jailbreak routine for this Mac newbie? I want to be ready for this as soon as possible.

rumor has it spirit wont come out till end of may, as that is when the international release of the ipad is due...dammit.

I hope so! It seems to fair to allow people who live in other countries to have a chance to acquire a jailbreakable iPad, without needing to pay massive eBay costs and sourcing it from America. And what's a month (just be grateful you have an iPad to play with in the mean-time :p)?

King Mook Mook

a rumor is fake isnt it?

A rumour isn't necessarily fake, if that's what your getting at... But it appears that this one may be half-true. I expect the Dev-Team to release the jailbreak before the international models come out, probably a week before, but at that time, many of the international iPads will already have been made so they will be jailbreakable.

King Mook Mook

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It makes no sense to delay the release of the jailbreak until the International release because Apple is making new iPads every single day. It doesn't make a difference whether they release it tomorrow or in a month. If Apple patches it, they will.

It makes no sense to delay the release of the jailbreak until the International release because Apple is making new iPads every single day. It doesn't make a difference whether they release it tomorrow or in a month. If Apple patches it, they will.

What? If they released it in a month, after the international model has been released, than not only would it give more Americans a chance to have a jailbroken iPad but also people living overseas a chance to get one. Apple can't do OTA updates, so they can't patch ones already sent out; One's that are in the factory can be patched before they're shipped so would not be jailbreakable.

King Mook Mook

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What? If they released it in a month, after the international model has been released, than not only would it give more Americans a chance to have a jailbroken iPad but also people living overseas a chance to get one. Apple can't do OTA updates, so they can't patch ones already sent out; One's that are in the factory can be patched before they're shipped so would not be jailbreakable.

King Mook Mook

Yes, I understand what you're saying. The later they release the jailbreak, the more people can run this jailbreak before Apple kills it. But if they think from that perspective, they will never release the jailbreak and wait for OS 4.0 later this fall.

For that reason, I don't think we will have to wait much longer for the jailbreak. @Comex himself also tweeted that the maximum we have to wait from now on are a few days.

cathy88

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
was wondering how big is your shsh file? The blog said should be 60-65KB but on Snow Leopard my turns out to be 66KB will this be a problem? My ecid is 16 characters with last 3 characters being letters. I tried submiting twice and both time it gave me the same size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.