Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Just spent the last 40 minutes running speed tests on both an iPad 3G and a iPad Wifi via MyWi.

The results? Inconsistent. I would say at the end of the day, it is a tie between the two connection methods...though the MyWi setup did seem a bit more consistent compared to itself. The 3G iPad was kind of all over the place as you will see.

Web pages loaded just as inconsistently with the 3G loading considerably faster at time and then the MyWi loading faster at others.

A note on iPhone 3G that was being used for the tests. I am running MyWi without Rock. The battery drained approx. 50% (its a 3G so it doesn't show the %) in 40 minutes of testing and it got pretty hot...the hottest Ive ever felt an iPhone and Ive owned them since the first one on day 1. The phone was on the desk next to the iPad and not being used, the screen was off.

Both connected to the same home Wifi network gave pretty identical results.

Edit: Wanted to also mention that over 3G, the ABC App does not play video, it says to connect to a Wifi network. Using MyWi, the ABC App does work but the quality is crap. Netflix works on 3G but the quality is crap, same on the MyWi.

iPad 3G on the left : iPad + MyWi on the right

3g2.jpg
mywi1.jpg

3g1.jpg
mywi3.jpg

3g3.jpg
mywi2.jpg

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Thanks for the info. The battery drain and iPhone heat are all that I need to know personally, but others with different use patterns may not care as much about those things.

What is the mywi carrier and where are you located? (Edited to fix typo)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Its not MyFi...it's MyWi...the Jailbreak App, using it on a Jailbroken iPhone so it's over AT&Ts network. I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
make sure your mywi is not running under the ROCK! try installing without rock and you will feel the difference on your iphone heating problems

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
make sure your mywi is not running under the ROCK! try installing without rock and you will feel the difference on your iphone heating problems

I do not have Rock installed.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

Why does it make a difference if you install it via Rock or Cydia? Isn't it the same app?

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Questions:
iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.

If it is iPhone 3G, what market? Trying to find out if it had been upgraded to the new 7.2 that the iPad 3G and iPhone 3GS support.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
Oh boy I wouldn't want that thing burning a hole in my pocket! Or my poor lil iPhone being subjected to those heat levels for any large chunk of time

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
iPhone 3G in the Phoenix, AZ market.

Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and Miami are supposed to be the first cities to get / have gotten the higher speeds. Other cities are not expected till the end of the year. So you should get the same speeds in general, but overall usage on a tower is constantly fluctuating so it will give mixed results like you saw.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Oh boy I wouldn't want that thing burning a hole in my pocket! Or my poor lil iPhone being subjected to those heat levels for any large chunk of time

I don't know about it burning a hole, it isn't that hot but it is very very warm, like I said, the warmest I've ever felt an iPhone.

I'm not an expert on electronics but I imagine it wouldn't be good for the life of the phone to have it hot like that if you run MyWi a lot. If you use it occasionally it should be ok I would think. Also, I dont know what would happen if you go to use the iPhone at the same time as it's tethered...say talking on the phone or using an iPhone app.

TroyJam

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
duky said:

I'm posting this while tethered to my 3GS via MyWi (also in Phoenix) and my iPhone is cool to the touch after approx 30 min of browsing the web and watching a video on the ABC app.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I installed MyWi no rock, but it said I had to install "rock extensions" so I found it on cydia and installed it....does this matter? or should i remove it?

It's pretty decently fast on MyWi, I've yet to try it with atomic browser + adblock though. I bet that speeds things up even more!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I'm posting this while tethered to my 3GS via MyWi (also in Phoenix) and my iPhone is cool to the touch after approx 30 min of browsing the web and watching a video on the ABC app.

It may be because the speed tests were non stop, whereas when you browse the net, its not constantly downloading something.

By the way, I used a whopping 54MB of the 250MB for the testing. Damn that is a lot.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008

My 3G does heat up, but the faster processor on the 3GS might not need to run as heavy. Can't wait for the new one in June.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Thermal imaging pics or it didn't happen.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
This isn't really the thread for it, but i uninstalled "rock extensions" and am currently on my iPad via mywi. It works fine and i think is actually faster than before. But that could be because I'm using Atomic with adblock.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Wow 50% in 40 minutes! That's horrible battery life.

On my nexus one I got 6 hours and 30 minutes of continuous tethering to my iPad and it was consistently fast throughout the whole time. After the first 30 minutes of use I totally forgot that it was a tethered 3G connection and thought it was wifi lol.

Tmobiles 3G is awesomely fastttt! :)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Again though, were you actually downloading content for the 6+ hours?

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I'm currently streaming Pandora via MyWi on my iPad with the "Higher quality audio" setting switched on and not a single hiccup. Phone is slightly warm but nothing to be worried about I don't think.

Currently at 20 mb down, 1.2mb up and battery is down by 5%

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
Here are my results.

iPhone 3GS MyWi (No Rock)

10MB file, I'm in SoCal.

8kz.jpg

Mine drains about 10% every 30 minutes.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
skafia - man, you have a very poor coverage. mine is just 3G and im getting double of your results

edit: tested again and im getting nearly 2mb

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Wow 50% in 40 minutes! That's horrible battery life.

On my nexus one I got 6 hours and 30 minutes of continuous tethering to my iPad and it was consistently fast throughout the whole time. After the first 30 minutes of use I totally forgot that it was a tethered 3G connection and thought it was wifi lol.

Tmobiles 3G is awesomely fastttt! :)
There is no way ANY phone could get 6 hours of 3G tethering. Especially 3G to WiFi tethering where it uses both antennas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.