Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
So, I double posted by accident. Get over it. :rolleyes:

The OP was doing download tests while you were simply surfing the Internet. You can't compare battery life using these 2 different tests.

Fair enough about his battery life test compared to mine but my point is in general who's going to use their iPad to continuously download things? Maybe a small app from the app store here and there but most likely almost everyone will just surf the web and stream videos.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that my battery test is more realistic.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Whats the point of this test if the 3G connections are coming from the same carrier and same cell tower? Of course the speeds will be relatively the same.

A better test would be iPad 3G vs iPad via MiFi on another carrier or using Sprint 4G.

But thanks anyway.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
imacdaddy, I gave you ipad 3g vs iphone tethering, vs Verizon vs wifi. What's missing with that ?. Sprint blows chimps, so it hardly counts as you'd be stuck on Sprint

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
imacdaddy, I gave you ipad 3g vs iphone tethering, vs Verizon vs wifi. What's missing with that ?. Sprint blows chimps, so it hardly counts as you'd be stuck on Sprint

Actually My comment was to the OP. I didn't see your post until I posted.

I'd like to see a wifi signal comparison between the iPad models and if the 3g+wifi is better because the back is different.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I couldn't find any relevant difference on wifi speeds between the iPad 3g and and the standard wifi only ipad. The numbers were pretty much the same

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Last time I checked free was free!! My wifi plenty fast tethered to my iphone while all you suckers pay the man

pkdoyle

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Plano, TX
Jeremy, have you actually tried Sprint's 4G or was your comment just you being cheeky? ;) I think you guys have 4G in Houston don't you? I am in the Dallas area and we have it here but I have not had the opportunity to try it.
Also, I am wondering why your WiFi is so slow. When I am at home I consistently get 13-18Mbps! It rocks! :cool:

bosox2009

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Server: Boston

WiFi
Verizon FIOS (wireless G w/FIOS router)
19.2 Mbs down
4.5 Mbs up

3G
2.4 Mbs down
287 Kbs up

Source: speedtest.net iphone app

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Provider: Mediacom cable

WIFI
15 mbs DOWN
2 mbs UP

3G
3 mbs DOWN
.33 mbs UP

Using Speedtest.net iPhone app. Results were different each time I ran the test over 3G. I averaged 3 mbs down which I thought was pretty good, with some bursts over 4 mbs. Upload was much slower.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Jeremy, have you actually tried Sprint's 4G or was your comment just you being cheeky? ;) I think you guys have 4G in Houston don't you? I am in the Dallas area and we have it here but I have not had the opportunity to try it.
Also, I am wondering why your WiFi is so slow. When I am at home I consistently get 13-18Mbps! It rocks! :cool:

You know, we were both complaining that the wifi seemed slow last night too, so it may have just been a network issue. i'll reset it today and see if it makes any difference. As far as sprint goes, they have some great things and some terrible things. As mentioned, I am out on the road about 300 days per year with 9 other people. We have a selection of phone and networks, and the t-mobile and sprint folks really suffer out there compared to the att and verizon folks. In the LA/NY area, Verizon blows att apart, but truthfully, for most of the rest of the country, the att folks beat the verizon folks.

The drop outs that happen on calls etc to me when I am in NYC/LA, never seem to happen to me in Houston (or really anywhere else for that matter).

I am sure the sprint 4g mifi thing is excellent for some, and in some areas, for me it's really a pricing issue on that one.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
My Results

Here are the results for the 3Gs tethered with my wifi iPad.

IMG_0008.PNG

Note: The previous tests were done using my 3G tethered to my iPad. I am from upstate, NY where we just recently got 3G coverage, and so far, it has not disappointed one bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.