Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Urbanpixels

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Yorkshire
Still doesn't operate for me. It logs in. Shows the profile picture on the iCloud page. But then logs back out without error.

I will just use the Appstore method. I don't really need full icloud features. When that added certificate expires on 20th May im sure it will just start again. They should fix it.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
I'm not sure if I can reproduce but I've somehow managed to trick iOS and iCloud to accept iCloud account input.

What I did was
  1. Install intermediate Apple cert(refer Sierra/High Sierra issue from this thread)
  2. tried to login with iCloud account in Settings app
  3. Make sure Settings app get stuck in the login loop(might have to install additional certs to reproduce) for at least few minutes
  4. Kill Settings app
  5. Remove intermediate cert
  6. Reopen Settings app
What I couldn't do is activate iMessage with Apple ID after above process. Might want to activate it before doing above.

If I have to reset the device, I might try again to reproduce.... until then, I'll keep it as is.

Hope this helps.

That intermediate cert is only valid until May 21 2022 in my time zone(maybe 20th in other time zone) so this is only effective for a month for sure.
So, it’s a gamble… It worked for me but I didn’t tried iMessage though. For @Urbanpixels, this solution didn’t worked. The certificate is still on my profiles and the old iPad work as it should.

Again, we users are left to find a workaround, guessing that it’s a problem on the Apple servers side…

kneuk

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2022
I could reproduce the iCloud login.

Cert needed has changed time to time... Apple IST CA 2 - G1 or CA 8 - G1.

Once installed, iCloud login partially works with 2FA. It may go through without error but usually fails to actually login.
So, on next try, after inputting credential then hit go, wait for like 10 seconds.(still waiting for login)
Kill Settings app and relaunch the app again.

If you input iTunes Store & App Store credential &/ iMessage Apple ID prior to above, you'll be able to use almost all the iCloud related services.

Patrice Brousseau

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Montréal, Canada
I could reproduce the iCloud login.

Cert needed has changed time to time... Apple IST CA 2 - G1 or CA 8 - G1.

Once installed, iCloud login partially works with 2FA. It may go through without error but usually fails to actually login.
So, on next try, after inputting credential then hit go, wait for like 10 seconds.(still waiting for login)
Kill Settings app and relaunch the app again.

If you input iTunes Store & App Store credential &/ iMessage Apple ID prior to above, you'll be able to use almost all the iCloud related services.
I do not use 2FA nor iMessage on this old iPad and login with a different credential for Appstore and iTunes. This one had no problem to connect prior to the certificate, weird!

Lawyer_in_Sweden

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2022
The certificate worked for me after a logout, reboot and login again. https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/AppleISTCA2G1.cer

**iPad 4th Gen on iOS 10.3.3

This worked for me as well. I'm also on an iPad 4th Gen on iOS 10.3.3.

Previously I hade restored the whole system and logged in on App-store with 2FA.

Now I downloaded the Cert using Safari and managed to login on iCloud. Curiously I didn't need to provide 2FA when logging in to the iCloud-account (probably since I already was logged in to the App-store). However I was prompted giving the password for one of my Mac's. I'm guessing it had to do with the Apple keychain.

In conclusion this method may work if you

1. Have an iPad 4th Gen on iOs 10.3.3
2. Have a clean install
3. Are already logged in to the App-store using 2FA.

I created this account to confirm that this work and also to thank you for providing the help.

Kind regards.

The Popper

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2022
So, indeed I am able to log into iCloud again, but I was unable to "restore from iCloud" with my Apple ID to retrieve my previous content. So partial win?

jordanfc21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
New Zealand
I have an update on my situation here. I had escalated this issue through Apple phone support who raised this again with their engineering team. I'm not sure what changes were made, but my iPad has now completely signed in to iCloud, and I'm able to access all of the services (the iCloud Drive app even installed once I had signed in!). If you have no luck with any of the fixes, I'd recommend calling and raising this with Apple. They will say due to the device being obsolete and not able to update past 10.3.3 that this can have an issue communicating with the server, but it is possible! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.