Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Nice! Mine still running like a champ!
Very happy with it. I will keep it until the Tech21 products are available.

Now my wife wants another Khomo

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So I decided to just rip off the front cover on the Khomo and use my new Apple smart cover so that I can just yank it off (so cool how the cover magnetically adheres) whenever I wanted too.

Had to sand down the sides of the Khomo hinge opening a little bit so that the cover can sit fine.

Yes! Exactly what I'm going to do.

Give me some detail please. How did you "rip off" the front cover? It is held on by simple adhesive? Where did you have to sand down the hinge opening? If I don't have sandpaper will the Apple Smart Cover still sit in place?

BJ

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Yes it is glued. I just pulled it off and it still left a thin layer of material. The Smart Cover will not sit all the way down since it's a little bigger than the opening. It still magnetically sticks strongly though.

So u can leave it like that if u want. I personally wanted for it to sit all the way down. Used sand paper (80,150,600 grit) to make the sides a little bigger. I think I shaved off like under 1/8 on each side.

After that just rinse the shell in water, dry it and put on. Takes no more than 20 minutes.

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yes it is glued. I just pulled it off and it still left a thin layer of material. The Smart Cover will not sit all the way down since it's a little bigger than the opening. It still magnetically sticks strongly though.

So u can leave it like that if u want. I personally wanted for it to sit all the way through. Used sand paper to make the sides a little bigger.

Cool, thanks.

Last question: In your photos your Apple Smart Cover looks more Grey than mine. Are you using the new Smart Cover for the iPad Air 2 or the old Smart Cover for the iPad Air 1?

BJ

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Nice! Mine still running like a champ!
Very happy with it. I will keep it until the Tech21 products are available.

Now my wife wants another Khomo

When holding the SmartCover flap on your Khomo back against the case does it have magnets that make it stick to the back of the case? Thanks

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
IMG_8297.jpg

IMG_8298.jpg

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8303.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

IMG_8319.jpg

IMG_8320.jpg

IMG_8324.jpg

IMG_8325.jpg

Well, for those of us looking for a black rubber painted hard back shell that is compatible with the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover, look no more.

Cut the KHOMO case off with a box cutter and that's that. No glue residue to worry about, the divot is filled with the soft grey material which is a bonus too.

Note that the black rubber painted hard back shell is the perfect match for the black iPad Air Smart Cover for the first iPad Air, the current black Smart Cover is grey.

BJ

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Cool. Are u going to sand down the opening or using it like that.

The full length of the magnet is making full contact with the metal strip. It is only the very last millimeter of the ends of the cover that are contacting the case. So there is nothing functionally or cosmetically making me need to sand down anything. It is holding perfectly and does not look anything other than flush.

It looks fantastic and feels fantastic, no more searching for the perfect iPad case. I'm also very pleased that I took the time to hunt down the original black smart cover because if I had the new one the colors would be mismatched.

BJ

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Thanks so much for trying this, making it work, and posting the pics. I have just ordered the black case from Amazon. I have boxcutters and believe I can do this surgery. The black back case will look great with my red Smart Cover!

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
No the rear case doesn't have magnets.
Ok thanks for the response
The full length of the magnet is making full contact with the metal strip. It is only the very last millimeter of the ends of the cover that are contacting the case. So there is nothing functionally or cosmetically making me need to sand down anything. It is holding perfectly and does not look anything other than flush.

It looks fantastic and feels fantastic, no more searching for the perfect iPad case. I'm also very pleased that I took the time to hunt down the original black smart cover because if I had the new one the colors would be mismatched.

BJ
Nice job. Does the rig you got going work as when it's open the Smart Cover sticks to the back of the case just like a SmartCover? It has magnets that'll hold the flap up right?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Thanks so much for trying this, making it work, and posting the pics. I have just ordered the black case from Amazon. I have boxcutters and believe I can do this surgery. The black back case will look great with my red Smart Cover!

Enjoy! It's exactly what I hoped for, a direct replacement for my iPad Retina's Marware back shell in deep black rubber paint but thinner and lighter.

Tip: When using the boxcutter position the cutting seam over the piece of foam that comes sandwiched between the Khomo and it's original cover. The rubber piece connecting the two is very stringy and letting the blade have something soft underneath to go down into is cleaner/faster than on a hard surface.

BJ

----------

Ok thanks for the response

Nice job. Does the rig you got going work as when it's open the Smart Cover sticks to the back of the case just like a SmartCover? It has magnets that'll hold the flap up right?

While the magnets work perfectly fine securing the front cover, there is no magnetic attraction through the case on the back cover.

Understand that there are plenty of solutions for those who like the cover folded back and connected. This rig has a primary benefit over those in having an easily detachable magnetic cover for those of us who like to do the majority of our surfing and browsing with nothing at all but a back shell, no folded material under our left hands. With this set up you have the best of all worlds; you can fold back if you choose to in a pinch, you can remove it completely with just a tug with no need to remove the shell ever, and of course how it allows for the trifolding stand. Tearing the cover off of your iPad gives you a lot more independence and agility then leaving it on. Putting it back on with just a click of the magnet is terrific for throwing it in a backpack and heading off to work.

BJ

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012

Well, for those of us looking for a black rubber back shell that is compatible with the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover, look no more.

Cut the KHOMO case off with a box cutter and that's that. No glue residue to worry about, the divot is filled with the soft grey material which is a bonus too.

Note that the black rubber back is the perfect match for the black iPad Air Smart Cover for the first iPad Air, the current black Smart Cover is grey.

BJ

Perfection!

I was worried about having to cut a little bit the hinge area where the Smart Cover snap in because the opening measured 8 inches.

So the magnet hinge of the Smart Cover is less than 8" wide?

Also I'm with you, I will do the utility knife surgery. No goof no mess :)

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Perfection!

I was worried about having to cut a little bit the hinge area where the Smart Cover snap in because the opening measured 8 inches.

So the magnet hinge of the Smart Cover is less than 8" wide?

Also I'm with you, I will do the utility knife surgery. No goof no mess

IMG_8325.jpg

Thanks!

The magnet hinge of the Smart Cover is a smidge- and I mean a smidge- wider than the opening on the Khomo's hard back cover. We are talking about half a millimeter at most, a very small amount.

However, the magnet that's in the Smart Cover hinge is shorter than the full length of the hinge, so that smidge of a fraction of a millimeter on either side has no magnet in it, it's just the silicone "ender" that cosmetically finishes off the look of the hinge. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is what I'll call the "lump" of the hinge that contains the magnet (its the long round section) and then there is an indent where it trails off (the depressed section towards the edge) and then there is a tiny little 'ender' which is a tiny flange of sillicone material. It's that tiny flange that's nestling against the Khomo's opening. You can't really see it in the photo. It's almost like waste material where the factory cut material from the mold.

So the end result is the hinge slightly bumps against the Khomo's opening but it a) does not affect the effectiveness of the magnetic connection and b) is not visible. If anyone wanted to make a slight tweak to correct this situation (and again, there is no functional reason to) I'd recommend you take the same box cutter and trim the Smart Cover's hinge enders, would take two seconds.

BJ

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008

Thanks!

The magnet hinge of the Smart Cover is a smidge- and I mean a smidge- wider than the opening on the Khomo's hard back cover. We are talking about half a millimeter at most, a very small amount.

However, the magnet that's in the Smart Cover hinge is shorter than the full length of the hinge, so that smidge of a fraction of a millimeter on either side has no magnet in it, it's just the silicone "ender" that cosmetically finishes off the look of the hinge. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is what I'll call the "lump" of the hinge that contains the magnet (its the long round section) and then there is an indent where it trails off (the depressed section towards the edge) and then there is a tiny little 'ender' which is a tiny flange of sillicone material. It's that tiny flange that's nestling against the Khomo's opening. You can't really see it in the photo. It's almost like waste material where the factory cut material from the mold.

So the end result is the hinge slightly bumps against the Khomo's opening but it a) does not affect the effectiveness of the magnetic connection and b) is not visible. If anyone wanted to make a slight tweak to correct this situation (and again, there is no functional reason to) I'd recommend you take the same box cutter and trim the Smart Cover's hinge enders, would take two seconds.

BJ

Would it be better or possible to slightly sand off the top and bottom openings of the Khomo back case to allow a little more space for the Smart Cover hinge? Can you tell if the Khomo back case is black all the way through the plastic, or just the rubberized black surface? Just wondering what sanding on the case would make it look like.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Would it be better or possible to slightly sand off the top and bottom openings of the Khomo back case to allow a little more space for the Smart Cover hinge? Can you tell if the Khomo back case is black all the way through the plastic, or just the rubberized black surface? Just wondering what sanding on the case would make it look like.

The Khomo back case is completely black, it's not translucent at all. If you sanded it the top layer of rubber paint would scuff and obviously the plastic would scratch if you weren't extra careful.

From a functional standpoint, there is no reason to shave either the back case or the Smart Cover hinges, the magnet is flush-on and uncompromised.

From a cosmetic standpoint, no one would ever notice that the hinge has a 0.5mm overhang of what looks like some waste material. It's much ado about nothing. Slice the front cover off, swing the Smart Cover on, done.

BJ

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
That case looks great but is £27 from Amazon UK delivered. Scandalous compared to the Amazon in the states.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.