Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
The Khomo back case is completely black, it's not translucent at all. If you sanded it the top layer of rubber paint would scuff and obviously the plastic would scratch if you weren't extra careful.

From a functional standpoint, there is no reason to shave either the back case or the Smart Cover hinges, the magnet is flush-on and uncompromised.

From a cosmetic standpoint, no one would ever notice that the hinge has a 0.5mm overhang of what looks like some waste material. It's much ado about nothing. Slice the front cover off, swing the Smart Cover on, done.

BJ

Thanks... Sounds good :)

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012

Thanks!

The magnet hinge of the Smart Cover is a smidge- and I mean a smidge- wider than the opening on the Khomo's hard back cover. We are talking about half a millimeter at most, a very small amount.

However, the magnet that's in the Smart Cover hinge is shorter than the full length of the hinge, so that smidge of a fraction of a millimeter on either side has no magnet in it, it's just the silicone "ender" that cosmetically finishes off the look of the hinge. It's hard to see in the photo, but there is what I'll call the "lump" of the hinge that contains the magnet (its the long round section) and then there is an indent where it trails off (the depressed section towards the edge) and then there is a tiny little 'ender' which is a tiny flange of sillicone material. It's that tiny flange that's nestling against the Khomo's opening. You can't really see it in the photo. It's almost like waste material where the factory cut material from the mold.

So the end result is the hinge slightly bumps against the Khomo's opening but it a) does not affect the effectiveness of the magnetic connection and b) is not visible. If anyone wanted to make a slight tweak to correct this situation (and again, there is no functional reason to) I'd recommend you take the same box cutter and trim the Smart Cover's hinge enders, would take two seconds.

BJ

Excellent! I see what your are talking about. The pictures show the details. Works for me.

Thanks for doing this. Now I know I need to get the Smart Cover. I like the flexibility of snapping the cover off/on whenever I feel like it.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Excellent! I see what your are talking about. The pictures show the details. Works for me.

Thanks for doing this. Now I know I need to get the Smart Cover. I like the flexibility of snapping the cover off/on whenever I feel like it.

26A70012-1272-47F2-A6EC-F37D1316AFEB.jpg

Happy to have helped.

Remember that if you want the black's to match you need last years Apple Smart Covet MF053LL/A which is deep black and not this years model which is actually grey.

BJ

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Yeah I see Best Buy now sells the covers as Air 2 compatible and there is no way to identify if old or new. Thanks for the model number :)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yeah I see Best Buy now sells the covers as Air 2 compatible and there is no way to identify if old or new. Thanks for the model number

You're welcome. I used Best Buy's online ordering system to pick up in a local store and they had the right model number on the website. To be safe, I called the store and had them confirm at the pick up counter that indeed it was the proper model number.

BJ

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Just an Update: I'm still rocking with this case/cover and haven't found any signs of wear.

Pretty solid product for the price. I use it all the time at the office, back to my backpack and out again at home all day long.

This will be the go to case until the Tech21 + smart cover are available :D

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
I've had this case for almost a week and can confirm that it's awesome! Really think and doesn't add that much weight. Highly recommend!

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Few weeks in using this as my only combo, it's been fantastic in the board room and today I take it on its first plane flight.

So far no scuffs, no scratches, no issues with the magnetic attach point becoming loose, etc. It's been great.

BJ

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Few weeks in using this as my only combo, it's been fantastic in the board room and today I take it on its first plane flight.

So far no scuffs, no scratches, no issues with the magnetic attach point becoming loose, etc. It's been great.

BJ

I've done this same conversion/surgery on the Khomo case to make it usable with the Smart Cover. This will be my permanent case/cover, as it looks and functions better than anything I've had or seen for the Air 2. I did use a Dremel tool on the Khomo to make a little more space for the Smart Cover to easily attach and detach. I have the red Smart Cover, and it looks awesome with the black Khomo back. I can post pics of mine if anyone would like them.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Post some pics. I didn't use a dremel on mine, just sand paper.

Here's a few pics of the black Khomo back after surgery with the red Smart Cover attached. Still loving this combo and have no interest in anything else as a case. Great look and feel, slim, and light weight. One pic shows the slight Dremel mod I did at the top opening and also at the bottom of the Khomo back to allow a little more space for the Smart Cover to attach/detach. It was actually hanging up and not fully attaching before I did the mod.

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 341
  • IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 346
  • IMG_3239.jpg
    IMG_3239.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 323

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I bought the iPade mini 3 version of it, and really enjoy it. I have had it for a couple weeks now, no issues.

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Khomo Mod+ with ZeroChroma Solo Stand

Did this mod today by following the thread and cutting off the Khomo smart cover. I went further and did a mod+ by adding a ZeroChroma Solo Stand to this case, which allows the iPad to stand in 11 angles, landscape or portrait, also much more stable than the smart cover fold up style stand mechanism. I'm a big fan of ZeroChroma cases, especially their Vario SC case that has this stand built in with Smart Cover opening. They currently don't have a case for the iPad Air 2, but will be releasing their Folio-Slide for the iPad Air 2 early next year. In the meantime, this Khomo Mod+ with ZeroChroma solo stand will get me through then.

Note: I've attached a few pics of this mod+, with my yellow Apple Air 1 Smart Cover, both attached and detached.

FYI, the solo stand can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/ZeroChroma-Ca...id=1417323607&sr=8-1&keywords=zerochroma+solo

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 229
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 247
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 213
Last edited:

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Based on this thread I bought a Khomo case and Apple iPad Air 1 Smart Cover and did the mod. I really like this combo. I can't really add much to the discussion other than to say thanks to those that posted about it.

The Air 1 black cover is also black on the inside which is nice. If you are cutting off the cover, there's no reason to get the carbon fiber version since the CF texture is only on the cover if you look at the product photos.

I also installed a Tech Armor Ballistic Glass screen protector and am really happy how everything works together. Thanks again.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Based on this thread I bought a Khomo case and Apple iPad Air 1 Smart Cover and did the mod. I really like this combo. I can't really add much to the discussion other than to say thanks to those that posted about it.

The Air 1 black cover is also black on the inside which is nice. If you are cutting off the cover, there's no reason to get the carbon fiber version since the CF texture is only on the cover if you look at the product photos.

I also installed a Tech Armor Ballistic Glass screen protector and am really happy how everything works together. Thanks again.

Did you make the hinge opening bigger to give you more room?

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Did you make the hinge opening bigger to give you more room?

Yep. Used a utility knife and trimmed a tiny bit off each side. Very easy. I bet if Khomo made a version of this case without the cover and charged around $7-8, they would sell a lot of them.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Pictures?

predwas

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Kansas
Question for those of you that are using the KHOMO back with the Apple Smart Cover:

Why?

Is it just because you want to be able to detach the Smart Cover from time to time, but still protect the back? I bought a KHOMO case recently, mostly because of the information in this thread and I love it, but it seems to me like the original front of the case is more than sufficient for me and I see no good reason to modify it.

Just curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.