Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.june

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
Ahhh! Okay so I can't decide between the iPad Air 4 or waiting for the iPad Pro 2021.

The only things holding me back on getting the iPad Air 4 versus waiting to see if I want the 2021 Pro is the difference in RAM and refresh rate and the iPad Pro 2021 having a new processor (compared to the 2020 Pro version). This will be my first iPad, and I am planning on using it for watching videos, drawing, sketching, and notetaking (I don't game, I am not going to be using my iPad to take photos, and the faceID is not important to me). I believe (keyword "believe") 256 GB storage for the Air is enough for me (plus it is still cheaper than the pro's base 128 GB - I'm getting a student discount). Really, how important is RAM and refresh rate in terms of what I am planning to use my iPad for? Any advice or tips are very much appreciated!

Reactions: travelsheep

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Ahhh! Okay so I can't decide between the iPad Air 4 or waiting for the iPad Pro 2021.

The only things holding me back on getting the iPad Air 4 versus waiting to see if I want the 2021 Pro is the difference in RAM and refresh rate and the iPad Pro 2021 having a new processor (compared to the 2020 Pro version). This will be my first iPad, and I am planning on using it for watching videos, drawing, sketching, and notetaking (I don't game, I am not going to be using my iPad to take photos, and the faceID is not important to me). I believe (keyword "believe") 256 GB storage for the Air is enough for me (plus it is still cheaper than the pro's base 128 GB - I'm getting a student discount). Really, how important is RAM and refresh rate in terms of what I am planning to use my iPad for? Any advice or tips are very much appreciated!
The 120Hz display makes a big difference when it comes to drawing. Wait for the iPad Pro in 2021 if you want.

Reactions: Precursor

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
After 3 years of going without an iPad, I bought an Air 4 and LOVE it. I used to have an Air 2, and this was quite the jump. I think in terms of the pro vs the air, if you never had pro motion before, you won’t be missing anything. The Air 4 is no slouch, and if you can get by without the pro motion display as being one of the major factors, you can get the Air. However, like others have said, if you like to draw a lot, the reduced lag on the 120 hz screen would make a difference over the 60 hz Air. That isn’t important for me personally and you can still draw fine using the Air. Every user case is different. The pro speakers might be another factor for you too, but the Air sounds good too.

For me, I have no reason to wait for the new pro so I got the Air.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
You’re so close to the predicted announcement, I’d recommend just waiting to see what the Pro gets that makes it better than the Air. We already know the given benefits of the Pro. Promotion, quad speakers, added RAM, superior processor. Beyond those things, we just have to wait and see. If it’s announced in March and it turns out to have something you want, I’m sure you’ll be glad you waited an extra few weeks.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
You’re so close to the predicted announcement, I’d recommend just waiting to see what the Pro gets that makes it better than the Air. We already know the given benefits of the Pro. Promotion, quad speakers, added RAM, superior processor. Beyond those things, we just have to wait and see. If it’s announced in March and it turns out to have something you want, I’m sure you’ll be glad you waited an extra few weeks.
New iPad Pros were supposed to come out last November too and never did...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Nah, a “Late 2020” iPad Pro was never a possibility, because Apple never releases more than one model of any given tier of iPad or iPhone in any given calendar year. Those rumors that love to jump the gun on timelines always end up wrong.

But now we’re in 2021, so a new iPad Pro is totally fair game.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Nah, a “Late 2020” iPad Pro was never a possibility, because Apple never releases more than one model of any given tier of iPad or iPhone in any given calendar year. Those rumors that love to jump the gun on timelines always end up wrong.

But now we’re in 2021, so a new iPad Pro is totally fair game.

The iPad 2 and iPad 3 are both "model year" 2011, and the iPad 4 was released only six months after the iPad 3.

Personally, I believe release of the iPad Pro has been significantly delayed because the current iPad Pro specs (and price) make very little sense compared to the iPad Air 4. I am certain Apple aimed to launch them much closer together.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPad 2 and iPad 3 are both "model year" 2011, and the iPad 4 was released only six months after the iPad 3.

Personally, I believe release of the iPad Pro has been significantly delayed because the current iPad Pro specs (and price) make very little sense compared to the iPad Air 4. I am certain Apple aimed to launch them much closer together.

Actually, iPad 2 was 2011. It was the iPad 3 and 4 that were released in Spring and Fall 2012 respectively.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Actually, iPad 2 was 2011. It was the iPad 3 and 4 that were released in Spring and Fall 2012 respectively.
True, I was confused about the release dates. My point still stands though, three iPad models were released in 20 months, and the specs of the current iPad Air make it very difficult to accept the specs and price of the current iPad Pro.

FlacVest

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
I recently picked up an iPad Air 4 knowing there is going to be a refresh within the next month. The Air currently has so much power that any update in the chipset won’t be significant enough to realize in real world scenarios. To give a comparison, the current cheapest iPad could easily transcode and stream 2 4K videos in Lumafusion. No hiccups, no slowdowns. The current Air is even faster.

Also, if Apple decides to come out with some major OS updates you can safely assume the last and current gen Pro and at least the 4th gen Air will be supported.

Right now they’re running 10% off every iPad, indicating they want to lower stock for whatever is coming out this month. Regardless, I wouldn’t pay more than 600 for an iPad unless they threw MacOS on it, which they won’t.

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
i got the magic keyboard for 150 on amazon yesterday. Still don't have a iPad tho cause i cant decide if i should go with a air 4 or wait around and see if something new comes out and maybe i can scoop a good deal on a 2020 pro or even go with a 2021 pro.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
I just got an Air 4. For daily stuff it’s great. I also have a desktop and didn’t want a computer replacement. Honest I don’t think the 256g version is worth it. For that price the Pro is only a little more. So if you’re going big just go big. For me the 56g Air 4 is perfect at just over 500 on Amazon, if the space is ok with you. Apple is very good at the art of the upsell.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

FlacVest

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
I just got an Air 4. For daily stuff it’s great. I also have a desktop and didn’t want a computer replacement. Honest I don’t think the 256g version is worth it. For that price the Pro is only a little more. So if you’re going big just go big. For me the 56g Air 4 is perfect at just over 500 on Amazon, if the space is ok with you. Apple is very good at the art of the upsell.
One reason I got the Air 4 is that, although I only get 64 gb for 550 bucks, I would have to spend 420 to get 128 on the basic iPad. Honestly, if you’re spending 420, an extra 130 is worth it for the power, larger screen, and USB-C support. Otherwise I’d just get the 32 gig, but since I wanted to start editing videos with it, I felt it was necessary to splurge a bit.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020

Honestly why not just get a used pro with apple care. You will save a ton and get all the features you want at the same time without breaking the bank. The new rumored pros will be over kill for what you need and will put a dent on your wallet.

Reactions: one more

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018

You got that right. If the Air was 128gb it would be the easy choice. I think the 64gb is kind of tight and don't really need 256. With a lot of other products (e.g., the iMacs) they offer a "low" end tier, a middle tier that usually isn't a huge upgrade over the base model, and then a top tier that is priced not too much higher than the middle tier model. The middle tier is almost always a bad choice in terms of value. Psychologically it makes us think, well, I don't want to buy the cheapest, and the price difference between the middle tier and high tier isn't that much, so I'll just go ahead and buy the top tier.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Really depends on how much storage one needs. For me, 128GB is too little even for a backup.

I hear you about Apple's upsell. If I go Pro, I wouldn't settle for 256GB. I'll end up with 512GB minimum. Likely higher and at that point, I could've bought 2x Air 4s.

Reactions: secretk

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
After reading all the posts about usb-c devices not working as advertised (or reviewed for that matter) I decided to stick with my Lightning Gen 6. A cheapo, <$20, dongle provides totally reliable HDMI+power+usb-A. Meets all my travel and photo needs. Lightroom runs great on it.

With the new iPads, aside from power the entire world of usb device and port chaos, crappy standards and garbage products from unknown brands is now part of the iPad experience.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
One reason I got the Air 4 is that, although I only get 64 gb for 550 bucks, I would have to spend 420 to get 128 on the basic iPad. Honestly, if you’re spending 420, an extra 130 is worth it for the power, larger screen, and USB-C support. Otherwise I’d just get the 32 gig, but since I wanted to start editing videos with it, I felt it was necessary to splurge a bit.
Yes exactly. I probably would have been fine with a standard iPad but not with 32 GB. $420 for a standard iPad with 128 GB is too much dough. On the Air 64 GB is barely enough but I can make it work. Plus you get the USB-C and some actual power with the Air 4.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011

I was about to say this. A lot of recent predictions have been bunk. For whatever reason people got a wild hair on their butts and predicted Apple would release two IPP devices in the same year. Lol. So don’t give any thought to rumors. Instead look at your immediate needs and use cases for an iPad. Look at Apples track record when it comes to updating the IPP line. I wouldn’t be surprised if an updated Pro wouldn’t be out until 2022.

Either device would be good. Both will crush any app thrown at it, and will for years. iPad performance has somewhat plateaued and what limits the device isn’t their hardware but the watered down variant of iOS and its accompanying apps.

Reactions: DexBell

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
For whatever reason people got a wild hair on their butts and predicted Apple would release two IPP devices in the same year. Lol. So don’t give any thought to rumors.

As already pointed out in this thread, this has happened before. Why could it not happen again?

Look at Apples track record when it comes to updating the IPP line.

Or any pro Apple line, compared to the corresponding non-pro line. Comparing the specs of the iPad Pro to the iPad and iPad Air more or less proves something has not gone quite according to plan for the iPad Pro.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Look at Apples track record when it comes to updating the IPP line. I wouldn’t be surprised if an updated Pro wouldn’t be out until 2022.
If we look at their track record, it would be very surprising if they didn’t refresh the iPad Pro this year. The typical gap between iPad Pro refreshes is 18 months, so we can easily assume there will be something new by the end of this year. If there isn’t something new this year, then we’re in the Twilight Zone. I can’t imagine Apple letting the Pro model languish with an A12-era chip that much longer.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah i would certainly say wait the next few weeks...for me i would struggle going back to an iPad without a high refresh rate.

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010

I remember buying an iPad 3 and being shocked when they upgraded it in the same year, was a bit of turn off to iPads for me for a bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.