Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
If we look at their track record, it would be very surprising if they didn’t refresh the iPad Pro this year. The typical gap between iPad Pro refreshes is 18 months, so we can easily assume there will be something new by the end of this year. If there isn’t something new this year, then we’re in the Twilight Zone. I can’t imagine Apple letting the Pro model languish with an A12-era chip that much longer.

Right. But the iPad hardware has outpaced the demands of watered down apps. I’d feel confident in buying the current iPad without worry Id need to upgrade anytime soon. It all depends on what it’s used for I guess. From Apples perspective, obvious by the 2020, they feel that it’s bottleneck is not the cpu at all. It’s the apps. But yah I’m sure Apple will throw an A14x or something in there to compel people that feel they need the latest and greatest to jump. If there is no immediate need, sure wait.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Right. But the iPad hardware has outpaced the demands of watered down apps. I’d feel confident in buying the current iPad without worry Id need to upgrade anytime soon. It all depends on what it’s used for I guess. From Apples perspective, obvious by the 2020, they feel that it’s bottleneck is not the cpu at all. It’s the apps. But yah I’m sure Apple will throw an A14x or something in there to compel people that feel they need the latest and greatest to jump. If there is no immediate need, sure wait.
It has for a while now. I'm still on the 2017 iPad Pros and they're still more than fine, CPU-wise.

As mentioned though, despite the chipset on the 2020 iPad Pros still being quite overkill, the choice of chipset doesn't really look all that good compared to the rest of Apple's iPad and even Mac lineup from a marketing standpoint.

$329-$559 iPad 8th gen, Apple A12

$599-879 iPad Air 4th gen, Apple A14

$799-1449 iPad Pro 11-inch 2nd gen, Apple A12Z, 6GB RAM
$999-1649 iPad Pro 12.9-inch 4th gen, Apple A12Z, 6GB RAM

$999-1449 MacBook Air 13-inch, Apple M1 (presumably A14X/Z level), 8GB RAM

And really, compared to the 2018 Pros (particularly 1TB, 6GB RAM), it's almost like Apple didn't upgrade anything. I held off upgrading in 2018 because the changes weren't enough for my liking at the given asking prices for 1TB. The 2020 models haven't really changed that calculus.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes it dont look good right now, the A14 in the Air 4 (standard mobile processor) in particular goes toe to toe with the A12Z (desktop grade processor)in terms of performance and being £200 cheaper. Apple will definitely be upgrading the Pros with an A14X / M1, or A13X at the least in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.