Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cedo_

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2020
I was in the same situation. Initially received and was in LOVE with the blue. Then I noticed the creaking, and the way if you held it a certain way there would be distortions and pressure spots on the screen. Regretfully I returned it and got the 11 Pro. No issues and am super happy with it. If it wasn't for the durability concerns I would have kept it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
As someone with a family member with severe OCD with life-altering impacts, I've always found the casual, flippant usage of the term to be offensive. Real OCD is a disability, not something you "just get over".

I think we are a nation of the easily offended. No one is mocking people with real OCD, just the ridiculousness some get over their "perfection" of their devices.

We are all just people, trying to party until we die.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think we are a nation of the easily offended. No one is mocking people with real OCD, just the ridiculousness some get over their "perfection" of their devices.

We are all just people, trying to party until we die.

I am not easily offended - very much the opposite. This is a daily trial for us to deal with so it's d**n close to home.

Reactions: Rafterman

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I was in the same situation. Initially received and was in LOVE with the blue. Then I noticed the creaking, and the way if you held it a certain way there would be distortions and pressure spots on the screen. Regretfully I returned it and got the 11 Pro. No issues and am super happy with it. If it wasn't for the durability concerns I would have kept it.
Agree 100%, the color to me is a perfect blue and the performance for price point was soooooo perfect. I loved it, until this thread ruined it for me. lol

Apple, get it together

• Sad
Reactions: Cedo_ and sorgo †

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is one of those things that if it really bugs you, there's no getting around/over it. Much like jelly scrolling on the Mini 6 - I don't even notice it but it drives some people crazy. Definitely go for a replacement if it bothers you.

danrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Apple's sure taking their sweet time with the iPad Pro replacement. I ordered it Friday, and it's still "preparing to ship."

Hope it arrives before my return window opens so I can use the Air 5 to set up the new one.

str0ppy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Nice devices but flimsy, like they’re made of foil and it’s only the innards stopping them from crumpling in.

Were the Air 4s any different?

ufgatorvet

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2010
Savannah, GA
Nice devices but flimsy, like they’re made of foil and it’s only the innards stopping them from crumpling in.

Were the Air 4s any different?
My Air 4 was rock solid and could not produce any warping, creaking, etc. Wonder how the guts between the 4 and 5 differ in positioning, etc.

Reactions: imanidiot

Iliketheapples

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2022
my brother has a previous gen ipad air, as well as the latest version ipad pro 11 and 12 inch models. hes a weirdo. i noticed the air had weird distortion on the screen with the pen and felt more flimsy and thin and weak than his pro model. i ended up getting the pro 11 inch. i like it. i bought a third party case for it. it has weaker magnets than official apple keyboard case but i just use it for drawing so i dont care. just feels like the thing needs protection especially when not in use. i felt like the 12 inch was too big. i would have to put my arm on the display to draw on it cause it was so big.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I just purchased a blue iPad Air 5 cellular and it’s solid with no creaking. Maybe the cellular models don’t have this issue?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Wondering if any reports here or elsewhere of Air 4 creaking? If no, I'd think that indicates something changed with Air 5, i.e., thinner case. The thinner Apple makes them, the more a case necessary. Is it worth it? I'll stick with the thicker but more solid and sturdy regular models.

Last edited:

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
After checking with the Apple Pencil no screen touch or creaking noticed on my blue iPad Air 5. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I also have a iPad Air 4 in the family and confirmed no creaking.

• Love
Reactions: lyngo

danrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Congrats. I really liked the Air 5, though I'm pretty happy with the Pro. It feels just a touch zippier — though compared to my iPad Air 2, either one was an amazing speed demon.

Reactions: techno-Zen

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Well, I may have found a blue one that is working for me. I purchased a 64GB 5G model one from my local apple store this weekend and thus far the same issues that I had in my first one are either nonexistent or not as prevelant as before. I can use the Apple Pencil freely and it is not causing nearly the same “pooling” or ripple effects as before. There is no creaking sounds either (at the point).

Knock on wood, but I may have found one that is going to work out for me!

Reactions: danrad and iZollo

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Just my two cents. I would never put my iPad in a case or put a screen protector on it. I love the feel of the original product. And it seems like a crutch if these things are necessary to enjoy the device.

iPhone on the other hand. Case. Don’t wanna drop that thing.

Reactions: Reggaenald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.