Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danrad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Congrats. I really liked the Air 5, though I'm pretty happy with the Pro. It feels just a touch zippier — though compared to my iPad Air 2, either one was an amazing speed demon.
Follow up: Super happy with the Pro. Not a hint of creak after more than a week. Zippier than the Air 5. Totally worth the upgrade.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I myself returned by iPad Air 5 it was great had no creak or issues but needed more storage so I got the 11 inch Pro and no regret. I figured the cellular iPad Air 5 with 256gb was 900 so for 100 dollars more I got the 128gb pro.

Reactions: NoelWalker

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
What was wrong with 5c? Owned it, liked it.
… what’s wrong with the Trashcan MacPro? A lot of people likes that, too. Others not so much because it wasn’t really a great device. Like the 5c. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have liked it, I’m just saying a lot of people didn’t because it wasn’t as good as it should and could have been.

Reactions: bondr006

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
And what exactly was wrong? It was lower cost alternative in great colors and at keast to me with best grip ever iphone had… njoyed that product in its time.. i guess majority of haters did not own it.

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
Sorry to post about this in the thread but it’s linked (tenuously ?). I received my new iPad Air yesterday and the first thing I did haven’t read the thread was check for creaking but much to my relief couldn’t recreate it. However, whilst checking for it I noticed that when I press on the right hand side of the rear of the Air, that I can see distortion in the image (a bit like when you put pressure on a LCD screen and it distorts momentarily) on the screen in that are but nothing if I press on the left hand rear area of the iPad.

I think this is probably normal but coming from a brick iPad mini 2, something I haven’t come across till now on a iPad.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Just my two cents. I would never put my iPad in a case or put a screen protector on it. I love the feel of the original product. And it seems like a crutch if these things are necessary to enjoy the device.

iPhone on the other hand. Case. Don’t wanna drop that thing.
Felt the same with mine, until I knocked my 2018 iPad Pro 11 accidentally of my nightstand and cracked the screen.

• Sad
Reactions: mebehere

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Is it safe to say that with newly produced units this problems seems (mostly) solved? Or is it just random/still a thing with newer units as well?

Any way how to check when a unit was manufactured?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Apparently not working with an iPad Air 5 serial number (but does work with iPhone XR serial and other older products).
Mine is just over 3 weeks old and it creaks.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Have you already got it replaced or are you planning to get it replaced?

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
I’ve got 256 GB version in Lavender last week. So far I haven’t noticed any issues with build quality. I haven’t tried to deliberately push the backside like some of the folks here did, but just operated my tablet normally: sometimes lifting it from the desk with one hand, sometimes holding it with just one hand. I am using it with Smart Folio.

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I’ve got 256 GB version in Lavender last week. So far I haven’t noticed any issues with build quality. I haven’t tried to deliberately push the backside like some of the folks here did, but just operated my tablet normally: sometimes lifting it from the desk with one hand, sometimes holding it with just one hand. I am using it with Smart Folio.
If you push the back a bit, like if you were holding it a bit more strongly than normal, can you see any kind of distortion on the screen?

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
No, I can’t see any distortion while doing so with or without case. I’ve only seen distortion while pushing hard on the screen in the Apple Store, but same result was with the iPad Pro 2021
If you push the back a bit, like if you were holding it a bit more strongly than normal, can you see any kind of distortion on the screen?

Reactions: tsukeyomi

love1859

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Considering getting the iPad Air 5. Is the creak risk still persistent or did Apple fix it?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Planning to order one of these for my grandson. I’m also planning to have it engraved. Yall are making me paranoid now because I’m assuming I can’t return or swap one if it’s engraved. Am I right?
aren't you quite familiar with the return process as it relates to Apple?

That said, I don't see why anyone would ever need or want to engrave a device

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
aren't you quite familiar with the return process as it relates to Apple?

That said, I don't see why anyone would ever need or want to engrave a device

Actually, no - not with anything engraved. And because I thought he might think it was cool to have it engraved. As it turned out, I didn’t get him an Air 5. I wound up buying five 9th gens and updating all the older grandkids’ iPads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.