Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Retail stock of the current iPad Air is starting to dwindle ahead of the widely anticipated arrival of new models early next month, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

iPad-Air-5-Colors-16x9.jpg

Citing sources at multiple retail stores in the latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that inventory levels of the iPad Air are diminishing in Apple stores, a typical indicator that new versions are soon to be released. Unlike the iPad Air, the iPad Pro apparently remains abundantly available, which suggests that Apple might be planning to sell through its current stock even after introducing an upgraded model. Historically, Apple has managed its inventory to align with the release cycles of its products, reducing shipments of older units to make room for the latest offerings.

Expected changes coming to the next-generation iPad Air include the more powerful M2 chip and an additional 12.9-inch display size option, while the iPad Pro is rumored to receive OLED display technology, the M3 chip, and new accessories. The refreshed iPad Air and iPad Pro models are now expected to be announced during the second week of May.

Article Link: iPad Air Stock Running Low Ahead of New Model Introduction

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I’d like to know where Mark gets his sources. Checking the site now show all iPad Air models available today.
All of his articles probably rely on between 1 to 3 sources. In this case, maybe an employee working in an Apple Store can check the inventory of his store and maybe his "order more" button is greyed out.

Currently, Gurman is most likely Apple's biggest threat in terms of leakage.
As soon as they find those few people, all these rumours will be over.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
So what's the story?
Are we expecting an event in May?
I got a feeling if there is going to be an event, Apple will just wait till WWDC to introduce them (could tie it in with updates to iPad OS). If they're not going to introduce them at WWDC, I doubt there will be an event of any kind, just a press release, and maybe some videos on the website.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I am more interested in a new Magic Keyboard than a new iPad... Id pay 500 for a new keyboard on its own if it was done really well and compatible with current iPads.
I doubt it will be, for one thing I’d expect they’ll use whatever iteration of smart connector is next to expose USB or even thunderbolt on the keyboard (the current ones only pass through charging), and that wouldnt be compatible with the current ipads

Reactions: G5isAlive

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I doubt it will be, for one thing I’d expect they’ll use whatever iteration of smart connector is next to expose USB or even thunderbolt on the keyboard (the current ones only pass through charging), and that wouldnt be compatible with the current ipads
Probably..

but it wouldn't be hard for them to make a keyboard that uses a new connector and the previous to allow some backward compatibility. That would fit in with their environmental claims... but I suspect they won't. They want to sell people a new iPad Magic Keyboard combo.

Reactions: seek3r

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I’d like to know where Mark gets his sources. Checking the site now show all iPad Air models available today.
Same here, in Europe. Plenty of stock, all configurations, cellular and Wifi-only.

And I'd be very surprised if it were any other way.

Apple loves to do internals only upgrades. But the average, mainstream consumer simply won't get caught in the marketing push to upgrade when the last 2-3 iPads Air and Pro have been identical externally, chassis, display, color finishes, materials, etc.

Even iPad 10th gen. doesn't feel new as it mostly reads as "iPads Air in new colors", even though it's something way lower value else.

Low stock for Air and Pro simply can't be true. Not unless retailers have been destroying all stock of iPads older than the current gen. ones. Not a thing here. But you never know.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Currently, Gurman is most likely Apple's biggest threat in terms of leakage.
As soon as they find those few people, all these rumours will be over.

or more likely Gurman is pulling tea leaves out of his ***. People claim he has a high success rate but I just see him releasing best guesses, some of which are wildly wrong the first time he says them, but the closer it gets to an expected date the more he clarifies based on the same rumors we read, and then its .. see he is right! I mean how many months in a row have we heard, new iPad Pro next month! oh wait, its been delayed, next month.. oh wait.. eventually he gets to say, see I was right!

EightyEight

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2022
or more likely Gurman is pulling tea leaves out of his ***. People claim he has a high success rate but I just see him releasing best guesses, some of which are wildly wrong the first time he says them, but the closer it gets to an expected date the more he clarifies based on the same rumors we read, and then its .. see he is right! I mean how many months in a row have we heard, new iPad Pro next month! oh wait, its been delayed, next month.. oh wait.. eventually he gets to say, see I was right!
Gurman has to be pulling guesses out of thin air. How many Apple Stores are there? Hundreds? No way Gurman could make an accurate statement on inventory levels.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.