Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
"iPad Air"... Leave it to Tim Cook to approve such a stupidly illogical name for a product. The "Air" designation was created under Steve Jobs to signify the product within a given product line with the lightest weight. That's because literal air is relatively light weight. The MacBook Air, introduced under Jobs, had the word "Air" in its name because it was the lightest product in the MacBook line. Clueless Cook just doesn't get that.

Reactions: Agent007

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
"iPad Air"... Leave it to Tim Cook to approve such a stupidly illogical name for a product. The "Air" designation was created under Steve Jobs to signify the product within a given product line with the lightest weight. That's because literal air is relatively light weight. The MacBook Air, introduced under Jobs, had the word "Air" in its name because it was the lightest product in the MacBook line. Clueless Cook just doesn't get that.

Do you ever get tired of beating that drum? lol. check your facts. iPad Air is the lower weight iPad for its size. it is thinner then the iPad.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Certainly, Apple is behind on all of its iPad product lines.

If iPadOS is to get some much-needed revamping, it would make sense to wait on the iPad Pro and to give the Air its needed spec bump now. Said revamping might be decent to have debut at WWDC.

At this point, throwing in M2 into the iPad Air or M3 into the iPad Pro almost doesn't do anything on its own. We need other non-SoC hardware features (landscape mode camera; support for a new pencil, 12.9-inch size for the Air; redesigns for the Pro, etc.) and new software features. Otherwise, this could be a really dull release.

Then again, Apple really ought to re-examine what the point of an iPad is. For what "iPad" was originally all about, the iPad mini and base iPads still do that job really well. For the things Apple seems to be trying to push iPad Pro (and iPad Air) to do, it seems...really awkward. That's the biggest problem they need to solve with whatever they release in terms of iPads and iPadOS this year.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Do you ever get tired of beating that drum? lol. check your facts. iPad Air is the lower weight iPad for its size. it is thinner then the iPad.
OK, I'll check my facts... Please wait a minute while I check Apple's official website... OK, I'm done checking. Here are the facts:

The iPad mini is the lightest device in the iPad line. The iPad mini is significantly lighter than the so-called iPad "Air".

Source:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
The iPad mini is the lightest device in the iPad line. The iPad mini is significantly lighter than the so-called iPad "Air".

really?? we are talking like for like same screen size and you bring in the mini lol. but cool, you go ahead and call the mini the air. it could catch on! That'll show Tim Cook!

Agent007

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
United States
I know it’s wishful thinking but I hope they up the base model SSD to 128 GB.

I want an iPad to use around the house or other times I don’t want to schlepp my MacBook around. That level of need doesn’t justify a $150 upgrade but 64 GB isn’t quite enough for a new tablet in 2024.

Meanwhile, nearly all other tablet manufacturers (and phone manufacturers, for that matter) include a MicroSD slot and most of those companies charge less abusive or non-abusive prices for storage upgrades.

At what point are we all paying an arm and a leg for buggy software and stale industrial design?

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
iPad Air 5 for me is the real sweet spot in the lineup. The recent blowout prices make a good thing even better. It will be interesting to see if the new models bring enough to the table to offset the current savings on the Air 5.

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I know it’s wishful thinking but I hope they up the base model SSD to 128 GB.
64GB should be the realm of the iPad (9th and 10th gen) only. 128GB is a much more reasonable starting point for a mid tier device. I have an iPad Pro 2018 which I don't use all that often. If I were to consider upgrading, the Air would be the sweet spot as I don't need the cameras of the newer iPad Pros. However, I would like to see a full ProMotion display on the iPad Air if the iPad Pro is getting an OLED display.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will not be surprised if Apple launches the new models on 29th/30th of this month just before Apple's quarterly financial results are announced on May 2nd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.