Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I wasn't talking about the device connected to an external monitor, but the device itself working in desktop working environment. Apple's Stage Manager can't do that, even on a MacBook.
… then you also weren’t talking about using DEX on a phone. DEX on a S9 series tablet works much better for me than my iPad Air 5th Gen with Stage Manager.

Tom

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
… then you also weren’t talking about using DEX on a phone. DEX on a S9 series tablet works much better for me than my iPad Air 5th Gen with Stage Manager.

Tom
I have that 1st Dec tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e with OLED screen. Bought in 2019. So, I wasn't talking about "DeX on a phone"... I'm not a tablet person, but I used it for work sometimes, just for fun. Then I got some German Windows tablets, 2 in 1s, also used for work, then S5e sort of became a book reader on vacations, or in the garden. But, I usually like to read books on a laptop (Dell, MacBook, Medion) placed on a desk, sit back and read. No wrist pain that way. :)

Reactions: TPadden

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I wasn't talking about the device connected to an external monitor, but the device itself working in desktop working environment. Apple's Stage Manager can't do that, even on a MacBook.
Uhhh… desktop working environment?

The idea behind Stage Manager on an external monitor is to provide the user a desktop environment... that’s the point I’m making. And I like using Stage Manager over Samsung DeX.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
… The idea behind Stage Manager on an external monitor is to provide the user a desktop environment... that’s the point I’m making. And I like using Stage Manager over Samsung DeX.
The whole point of this discussion is tablet as a laptop replacement, desktop environment is probably a whole nuther discussed somewhere else point. 🤣

Tom

Last edited:

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
Uhhh… desktop working environment?

The idea behind Stage Manager on an external monitor is to provide the user a desktop environment... that’s the point I’m making. And I like using Stage Manager over Samsung DeX.
The Stage Manager is a half-way job. It doesn't work on the device, whether it is an iPad or a Mac. Just put Mission Control on a hotcorner, and you are done, at least on a Mac. iPad is not a desktop computer, connected to an external monitor or not -- it doesn't run desktop apps.

Sure, you can tell yourself that it is, but it won't become one, until it gets desktop apps in it.

Reactions: Steelhead1957

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The Stage Manager is a half-way job. It doesn't work on the device, whether it is an iPad or a Mac. Just put Mission Control on a hotcorner, and you are done, at least on a Mac. iPad is not a desktop computer, connected to an external monitor or not -- it doesn't run desktop apps.

Sure, you can tell yourself that it is, but it won't become one, until it gets desktop apps in it.
By definition connecting my iPad Pro to an external monitor with a keyboard and mouse becomes a desktop computer. And I’m not telling myself this. Apple markets it and it’s on their website!

IMG_6935.png

Reactions: bondr006

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Even though it would be nice for portability. I cannot justify ditching a computer for a iPad, For example there are certain websites which require a computer to make payment.

Reactions: chmania

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
We dont know what the future holds for iPadOS... thats why im waiting for this summer before I upgrade... The hardware was never the issue... iPad OS is a mess.
For sure, I do hope it changes. Right now the iPad is only good for creative folk but it has so much potential for the rest of us who need some more modest multi-tasking and do some work

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
For sure, I do hope it changes. Right now the iPad is only good for creative folk but it has so much potential for the rest of us who need some more modest multi-tasking and do some work
I'm probably/wishing more into it but how he mentioned wwdc at end felt implied they were going to make changes.

its only small tweaks it needs to make at this point to make it great

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I'm probably/wishing more into it but how he mentioned wwdc at end felt implied they were going to make changes.

its only small tweaks it needs to make at this point to make it great
If they do makes changes, let’s hope everyone who have M1/M2 can use them.

The iPad is an entertainment device for me or a SideCar display, I love my M1 iPad Pro but I can’t multi task or do my coding work there without hitting limits at every single Alt + TAB.

They also need to revamp the Stage Manager, it really is a joke for anyone who needs to switch windows around and copy paste code and stuff

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I'd love to replace my MacBook Pro with the new iPad Pro but I need at least 100hz on external display. I use an LG 40" 5k2k (widescreen) and the resolution wasn't supported last time I connected an iPad Pro.
Does anyone know if there are some changes to it on the new m4?

lenger

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I use a capable Windows laptop for work (Ryzen 9, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060). For personal use I want to retire my old and trusted MB Pro (13-inch i5 with aftermarket SSD and extra RAM) after 12 years.
Instead I'm looking to get a new M2 iPad Air. I can get a great deal on it (education price plus employer credit).
It'll probably only get used for browsing, reading, streaming, so I think I don't need another Pro device or a (second) laptop for personal use. So no full-on iPad as laptop replacement, but taking the first step. Curious how I'll like it!

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
You can already multi-task on iPadOS.
Indefinitely long background tasks (rather than just 3-10 minutes max) would be a great next step and should be easy for Apple to do (if they can be bothered to spend time on fundamentals instead of wasting time on SwiftUI churn)

All work is creative work, I can almost get my software dev work done on iPad. Swift Playgrounds has gotten really good and only lacks proper UIKit Storyboard app and better swift package creation support (I want to build my project out of multiple swift package modules).
As it is I find the iPad great for developing and refining UI ideas (even in UIKit).

Reactions: Digitalguy

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Indefinitely long background tasks (rather than just 3-10 minutes max) would be a great next step and should be easy for Apple to do (if they can be bothered to spend time on fundamentals instead of wasting time on SwiftUI churn)

All work is creative work, I can almost get my software dev work done on iPad. Swift Playgrounds has gotten really good and only lacks proper UIKit Storyboard app and better swift package creation support (I want to build my project out of multiple swift package modules).
As it is I find the iPad great for developing and refining UI ideas (even in UIKit).
For me it's impossible without proper support for Ansible, Github and something like Visual Studio.

Also I need a local Terminal at this point otherwise it sucks.

I really dislike the current multi tasking it doesn't work properly when working with two screens as well, there's room to improvement on the individual display as well

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
For me it's impossible without proper support for Ansible, Github and something like Visual Studio.
Yeah, they really should be bringing more support for development to iPad. I think doing so in a privacy secure way is part of what is holding them back, the other part is that they need to get with the times and see where the wind is blowing and open up the iPad to allow sideloaded apps.
Also I need a local Terminal at this point otherwise it sucks.

I really dislike the current multi tasking it doesn't work properly when working with two screens as well, there's room to improvement on the individual display as well
Don’t get me wrong, I have many, many complaints about stage manager, but it is serviceable.

FletchTopper

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
I think I know the answer to this, but is there a way to play videos from different sources at once on my M2 Pro? Say, for instance, if I wanted to watch an MLB game through the MLB app but then watch a college game through the ESPN app.

I tried tinkering with a couple of ways i thought it might work a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure it out - has anyone found a way to do this successfully?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think I know the answer to this, but is there a way to play videos from different sources at once on my M2 Pro? Say, for instance, if I wanted to watch an MLB game through the MLB app but then watch a college game through the ESPN app.

I tried tinkering with a couple of ways i thought it might work a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure it out - has anyone found a way to do this successfully?

Out of curiosity, I tried this with a few different combinations of player apps side-by-side on a monitor using Stage Manager and found that when one app was playing, the other is paused; I couldn't get two apps playing simultaneously.

FletchTopper

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
Out of curiosity, I tried this with a few different combinations of player apps side-by-side on a monitor using Stage Manager and found that when one app was playing, the other is paused; I couldn't get two apps playing simultaneously.
That's what I assumed. Maybe the next OS will fix?

I'm over half a year in the "iPad as laptop" life and this is one of the only "problems" i've come across. That, and consistently being prompted to go to the app instead of using the web browser (which is not even possible for things like the MLB streaming service). Two things that I stumbled into within the last month.

I'm not a heavy computing user anyway, but if you're use cases are like mine - a little bit of personal writing/blogging, a lot of consumption, emailing, job applications, mobile games, etc. - I reckon folks will be very, very happy if they go this route.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I do wish Apple would allow a fully encapsulated terminal like environment in which you can install any packages you want (including tensorflow for example).

Have you tried i$H? It has worked for all my (admittedly few and light) use cases.

Of course I’d still prefer an Apple solution so I don’t need to trust anyone else with my ssh keys.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That's one big OS improvement I would love, for now it varies from app to app. Another big thing I would love is sidecar and universal control between iPads, not just from Macs. This would be great for people having multiple iPads and could push some to buy more than one iPad using some as a battery powered monitors with touch and pen input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.