Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I’ve come to the stark realization that my iPad (a Pro 11 M1) is a great content consumer but a middling content creator.

The iPad OS is just too cludgy for doing things smoothly and quickly, specifically video editing, even with a Magic Keyboard which I discovered this week when my one week trip became two weeks.

It’s an exercise in extreme patience and excessive use of hand gestures lol

Not sure if I should keep my iPad and get a Macbook Air 13 M3 or just sell/“recycle” my iPad in favor of an Air.

-

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’ve come to the stark realization that my iPad (a Pro 11 M1) is a great content consumer but a middling content creator.

The iPad OS is just too cludgy for doing things smoothly and quickly, specifically video editing, even with a Magic Keyboard which I discovered this week when my one week trip became two weeks.

It’s an exercise in extreme patience and excessive use of hand gestures lol

Not sure if I should keep my iPad and get a Macbook Air 13 M3 or just sell/“recycle” my iPad in favor of an Air.
I’d suggest using an Apple Pencil when it comes to editing video… that’s what I do when using LumaFusion or CapCut, it really helps.

Reactions: Zensō and bondr006

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I’d suggest using an Apple Pencil when it comes to editing video… that’s what I do when using LumaFusion or CapCut, it really helps.
Great tip. I got lumafusion this week for my GF because davinci resolve doesn't run on her 2017 ipad pro. So far so good.

I have edited one video myself and the pencil does improve precision versus using a mouse or touch pad on my Logi combo touch.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Here's something I'd really like to know, given Apple's ongoing hype about iPad/keyboard combos as a 'replacement' for a laptop in Job's 'post-PC' world: Can we yet actually use it on our laps? Prior models were hopeles, would overbalance & had poor egonomics in this respect. Of course there remains the onging limitations with the dopey iOS (vs MacOS).

But seriously, for all that vast amount of preice gouging, claims & promises: Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it still confined to desktop use only, just like the models before it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Can we yet actually use it on our laps? Prior models were hopeles, would overbalance & had poor egonomics in this respect. Of course there remains the onging limitations with the dopey iOS (vs MacOS).
Personally, I'm able to use the MKB+iPad Pro combination on my lap... have no issue with poor ergonomics.

But seriously, for all that vast amount of preice gouging, claims & promises: Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it still confined to desktop use only, just like the models before it.
Haven't tried the 13" iPad Pro yet... ordered and waiting for it to arrive Wednesday, but I don't envision it suddenly being a different experience in terms of using it on my lap.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Personally, I'm able to use the MKB+iPad Pro combination on my lap... have no issue with poor ergonomics.

Haven't tried the 13" iPad Pro yet... ordered and waiting for it to arrive Wednesday, but I don't envision it suddenly being a different experience in terms of using it on my lap.
Nope, maybe you have really long legs? the combo really needs to be bought forward & as far away as possibly from one's knees, balances poorly. It also wobbles around much when using the keyboard or trackpad. Many youtube reviews about exaclty this for the last models, eg:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Nope, maybe you have really long legs? the combo really needs to be bought forward & as far away as possibly from one's knees, balances poorly. It also wobbles around much when using the keyboard or trackpad.
First off, you asked. Then claim I'm wrong lol. You clearly had your mind up before I answered.

No point in continuing this discussion.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
First off, you asked. Then claim I'm wrong lol. You clearly had your mind up before I answered.

No point in continuing this discussion.
Incorrect interpretation:
I am asking about the new 13" M4 iPad Pro (re-designed, thinner etc) and in combo with the new aluminium Magic keyboard, also new and redesigned. This may have been more carefully thought out, but would clearly like to know more before spending that kind of money in advance.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Here's something I'd really like to know, given Apple's ongoing hype about iPad/keyboard combos as a 'replacement' for a laptop in Job's 'post-PC' world: Can we yet actually use it on our laps? Prior models were hopeles, would overbalance & had poor egonomics in this respect. Of course there remains the onging limitations with the dopey iOS (vs MacOS).

I have the M1 12.9 + MKB and can use it in my lap so for me it is not confined to desktop only. And I'm not tall & long-legged. "Desktop only" is not a universal experience.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Incorrect interpretation:
I am asking about the new 13" M4 iPad Pro (re-designed, thinner etc) and in combo with the new aluminium Magic keyboard, also new and redesigned. This may have been more carefully thought out, but would clearly like to know more before spending that kind of money in advance.
Fair enough.

But if you buy it from Apple, I think they have 14 days return. Although they will hold your funds for some weeks (in Australia) before it re-hits you credit card's bank account.

If you pick it up direct and pay cash, the they'll repay that way straight away. Keep all the packaging and take photos as you unpack! And test it on you lap only over a carpet floor - not on a hard floor!!! Test it with the intention of returning it!

And maybe you should save money, and get an M2 Air iPad. The 13" one can use the Apple Folio keyboard. I think it is still available. That is a very crude keyboard, and looks tatty in quick time evidently, and it types poorly, and there isn't a track pad.And its overpriced for what it is. But its light and stays on, and evidently, it types anywhere:

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I have the M1 12.9 + MKB and can use it in my lap so for me it is not confined to desktop only. And I'm not tall & long-legged. "Desktop only" is not a universal experience.
I’m glad to hear the combo worked for you for on lap use! I wish I found the same with my M1 12.9”. I just have trouble get this combo to balance on my lap with hands of the keyboard.

I did order the M4 and Magic Keyboard, but I think I’d be surprised if it worked any better, on my lap, than my M1 rig.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m glad to hear the combo worked for you for on lap use! I wish I found the same with my M1 12.9”. I just have trouble get this combo to balance on my lap with hands of the keyboard.

I did order the M4 and Magic Keyboard, but I think I’d be surprised if it worked any better, on my lap, than my M1 rig.

It (and my Surface Pro) works but is not my usual mode of use. My palms/wrists on either side of the trackpad stabilize them.

Reactions: jazz1

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Funny thing is, if you look at from what devices websites like YouTube, Reddit, DuckDuckGo, Twitter, Wikipedia, Cornhub is used from, it's all dominated by mobile devices.

Especially if you look at Gen Z, where a large portion of them spend 9 hours per day on their smartphone and not behind a traditional computer. Basically when they leave the office, they spend the rest of the day using a smartphone rather than a traditional computer.

And you also see it in the numbers. There are currently 2 billion traditional computers (servers, laptops and desktops), but there are close to 7 billion smartphones.

Smartphones have already replaced laptops for many people.

Apple has undoubtedly also seen this trend of smartphones replacing computers, which is why the iPad exists.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
In my experience the MK is more lappable than a kickstand device (à la Surface pro) and much better than the smart keyboard folio, but still not as good as a laptop because it's top heavy. Same could be said for Bridge keyboards, more lappable but still top heavy.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Fair enough.

But if you buy it from Apple, I think they have 14 days return. Although they will hold your funds for some weeks (in Australia) before it re-hits you credit card's bank account.

If you pick it up direct and pay cash, the they'll repay that way straight away. Keep all the packaging and take photos as you unpack! And test it on you lap only over a carpet floor - not on a hard floor!!! Test it with the intention of returning it!
In my experience they don't give you cash back for high amounts. For me they made a wire trasfer to my bank account when I returned my first 2018 iPad pro + smart keyboard folio in 2019 (because it was not lappable contrary to my 2017 pro + smart keyboard) instead of giving me $1500 cash back.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
Smartphones have already replaced laptops for many people.

Apple has undoubtedly also seen this trend of smartphones replacing computers, which is why the iPad exists.
As iPad is not a smartphone, the above mentioned is not valid. Apple would continue to release new iPads, because they have to, not because it has a selling trend. It is hard to imagine Apple without an iPad, so Apple will try to continue with that device. As "smartphones have already replaced laptops for many people" and that trend continues, Apple has to be quick about releasing newer (better and cheaper) iPhones, not just playing catching up with Android smartphone manufacturers. Oled, Amoled, higher ram/rom is nothing much to them -- there are so many such Android phones, much cheaper, with much more options out there.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
In my experience the MK is more lappable than a kickstand device (à la Surface pro) and much better than the smart keyboard folio, but still not as good as a laptop because it's top heavy. Same could be said for Bridge keyboards, more lappable but still top heavy.
I totally agree on your take on these iPad keyboard folios. I loved the keyboard on the Bridge. But the version I had for my M1 12.9" iPad Pro had some use issues. The thin, rubber like frame stretched out, and as I've already reported had to be replaced under warranty. The second one did no better. I think I read there is another generation out. I hope they fixed that issue.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019
I can't find a specific thread where I read about this, has it been explained why the new iPAD is still not a 4K device? And this is never changed?

- 1668 x 2420 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~264 ppi density)

If it were, I guess the new specs would be:

-- 3240 x 2160 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~302 ppi density)

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
I can't find a specific thread where I read about this, has it been explained why the new iPAD is still not a 4K device? And this is never changed?

- 1668 x 2420 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~264 ppi density)

If it were, I guess the new specs would be:

-- 3240 x 2160 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~302 ppi density)
Because 4K doesn’t matter? 264 DPI at 30 cm is very very hard to make out individual pixels. Going to 4K would make only a small difference to picture quality. A 4K image scaled to a screen that you cannot make out the pixels on is not going to be a compromised experience. The first super retina iPhone screens (when they stopped using integer scaling) were scaled and I think they still are. True 3x scaling from the original iPhone would be 501 dpi (167 * 3) but the iPhones of today only go up to 460 DPI. This is because once you reach a certain threshold the pixels are too small and going bigger doesn’t make a measurable difference.

I personally would like them to bump up the iPad pixel density and I think going to 396 (3x retina) would be the next logical step. Going to 4K is just an arbitrary number. The fact that most PC displays use 4K screen no matter the size of the display is weird and not the best way to ensure you have an even level of sharpness for displays of different size. Apple’s decision to pick what it calls retina resolutions (208 DPI for desktops, I think around 220 for laptops, and 264 for iPads) and then scaling the number of pixels based on that DPI makes way way more sense than just putting a 4K display in everything regardless of how big it is.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden

I actually think my iPad Pro with the MK is more lappable than the macs. The rubber materials makes it stay where it is while my macs always want to slide off unless the top of my legs are perfectly flat.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
In my experience they don't give you cash back for high amounts. For me they made a wire trasfer to my bank account when I returned my first 2018 iPad pro + smart keyboard folio in 2019 (because it was not lappable contrary to my 2017 pro + smart keyboard) instead of giving me $1500 cash back.
Sounds like a scheme to wash money! I guess a lot of cash on site would be unusual these days of electronic money.

• Haha
Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I actually think my iPad Pro with the MK is more lappable than the macs. The rubber materials makes it stay where it is while my macs always want to slide off unless the top of my legs are perfectly flat.
Yeah that's a Macbook issue that I don't have for instance with my thinkpad. Having said that, the top heavy MK for me is less lappable than the Macbook, since it's easier for me to keep it from sliding (not immediate and not much pressure needed), than from falling back if I don't keep my hands on the Magic Keyboard

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.