Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumoredMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
How to turn off auto download of new updates on iPad? There doesn't seem to be option to do this.

Also How to stop reminders to install the updates? These didnot come earlier but bow they keep on popping up.

RumoredMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2016
But where's is the option to turn off auto download of updates in iOS 10.3.3? It was there in iOS 9, but iOS 10 seems to force this onto us!!!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
But where's is the option to turn off auto download of updates in iOS 10.3.3? It was there in iOS 9, but iOS 10 seems to force this onto us!!!
It was not there in iOS 9. It has never been in iOS. The auto-update toggle regards apps from auto-updating, nothing about iOS.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
...and you can choose whether smaller App updates download over cellular (before you get upset about that), AND larger App updates have to download over WiFi (before you get upset about THAT)...

Reactions: Mlrollin91

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple chooses the best option, if that is still an expensive option due to your ISP charges then that isn't really Apple's fault.
Apple should choose how your WiFi gets used? Seems like Apple can provide a simple option related to automatic download/update, as they have already been doing for all kinds of things, like app updates and the like.

Reactions: RumoredMac

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
That's still so insensitive. I have a costly wifi.

Do you pay for data plan for WiFi?
What underdeveloped country do you live in?
I only pay for different speed and no cap on data usage.
[doublepost=1508392814][/doublepost]
Apple should choose how your WiFi gets used? Seems like Apple can provide a simple option related to automatic download/update, as they have already been doing for all kinds of things, like app updates and the like.

Sounds good in theory but in reality most people don’t want to have to much settings.
They just want it to work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Sounds good in theory but in reality most people don’t want to have to much settings.
And just like the settings they provide for automatic app downloads or updates, the same theory would apply the same way.

As far as someone having a different type of internet access, strange or not, the reality is that different things can be in play for different people in different places (beyond internet too).

ern99

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
I have an unlimited wi-fi in a country that often gets ranked among the highest in terms of internet speeds but I still find the automatic download and the daily "Come on dude, install me!" notification incredibly annoying. Unfortunately the only way to stop it is to fill up your device with unused apps/games so that there's not enough space for the iOS update to be downloaded. Easy to do on a 16 or 32 GB device, pretty much impossible on a larger one.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Delete the update from your storage then plug it into iTunes, when it asks to update check don't ask me again and hit cancel. Unplug your device. In a few minutes the icon should disappear from the settings icon. If it doesn't then a simple shut down should do the trick. Ive done that for 3 devices and so far it hasn't asked again.

Reactions: ern99

ern99

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
Delete the update from your storage then plug it into iTunes, when it asks to update check don't ask me again and hit cancel. Unplug your device. In a few minutes the icon should disappear from the settings icon. If it doesn't then a simple shut down should do the trick. Ive done that for 3 devices and so far it hasn't asked again.
If this works you are my hero, seriously... Going to test it now. Thanks for the tip.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
If this works you are my hero, seriously... Going to test it now. Thanks for the tip.

Let me know if it works!
[doublepost=1508411327][/doublepost]

Also uncheck apps and updates in ITunes and App Store in settings. I don't know if it makes a difference, but that's how I have mine set up. The icon won't dissapear from the setting menu, but it wont show up on the icon on the home screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ern99

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Apple are already trying to minimise the cellular cost as that is usually the most expensive, short of giving the user an easy option to have NO updates - which will lead to some users having issues through not receiving an update they thought they should due to inadvertently turning iOS updates off...there is no perfection here, for every option Apple provide there will be an appreciable misuse/wrong use/accidental consequences out in the wild...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple are already trying to minimise the cellular cost as that is usually the most expensive, short of giving the user an easy option to have NO updates - which will lead to some users having issues through not receiving an update they thought they should due to inadvertently turning iOS updates off...there is no perfection here, for every option Apple provide there will be an appreciable misuse/wrong use/accidental consequences out in the wild...
Essentially the same concept as the easy option that controls automatic app updates or downloads, which is already present. I understand what they decided, and the likely reasoning for their decision, I'm just saying that from the consumer side of things that decision can be better.

Reactions: stevemiller

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011

Go look at Satellite internet. Stuffs expensive and have bad data caps ($90 for 25GB a month 10 mbps speed). I had it in 2005 with paying $85 for 1.5 mbps with 20 GB caps. I downloaded a game without knowing this and well, my speeds were slowed to below dialup.

Though nowadays, if I could get cell service in the area, I’d just stick with it instead.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Had the update downloaded even though I never checked for it. After I deleted the update file from the IPP 10.5 (which uses 10.3.2), I plugged into iTunes 12.6.3.6, and was asked if I wanted to install:

https://imgur.com/a/xxchK

As you can see I hit cancel and "dont ask me again" inside iTunes. But the second image shows "(1)" in a red background in the "Update" tab from this iPAD. I really hope this isn't downloaded again.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Had the update downloaded even though I never checked for it. After I deleted the update file from the IPP 10.5 (which uses 10.3.2), I plugged into iTunes 12.6.3.6, and was asked if I wanted to install:

https://imgur.com/a/xxchK

As you can see I hit cancel and "dont ask me again" inside iTunes. But the second image shows "(1)" in a red background in the "Update" tab from this iPAD. I really hope this isn't downloaded again.

It's not going to go away. And if it downloads again just delete it from your storage settings. This is my iPad on 10.3.3 it's not showing up on the settings icon.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.PNG
    IMG_0097.PNG
    310.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Keep in mind, that some of this behavior is response to Congressmen/women asking Apple to make updates automatic and transparent, so consumers are protected. It went through news few years ago and Apple has promised to do so. And did so. My iPhone and iPad update applications each night automatically. System upgrades I have to allow... Same for my Android.
Result is bit mess as Apple/Google/Microsoft make its best to find choices suitable for most users - and someone in less than common situation gets burned. All companies face same issues - remember Microsoft pushing whole multi-GB Windows 10 upgrade package on Windows 7/8 machines _before_ even asking if people want to install? And then installing on its own if you did not specifically say No and only dismissed dialog? And (may be) deleted the multi-GB installer file if you said No... Your data and your drive space. Basically "stolen" by system manufacturer if you did not want this happen... Lots of people were unhappy at that time.
It is messy problem for manufacturers how to handle this - too many options for most users to make reasonable decisions - or even understand consequences of decisions. Some unique and different users with specific conditions - e.g., most wifi in the US can be considered "unmetered" - but it is not true for some in extreme conditions. Even more so in other world countries.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Last night my IPP 10.5 using 10.3.2 asked me to install iOS 11 right after downloading 1.6 GB without my consent. I almost hit OK, the popup appeared right after I opened the Smart Cover. It seems it doesn't matter saying NO and in iTunes choosing the option to not be asked again, over time the device will download the update and bug us again.

Hope this doesn't happen anymore, maybe I visited some internal option without noticing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.