Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last night my IPP 10.5 using 10.3.2 asked me to install iOS 11 right after downloading 1.6 GB without my consent. I almost hit OK, the popup appeared right after I opened the Smart Cover. It seems it doesn't matter saying NO and in iTunes choosing the option to not be asked again, over time the device will download the update and bug us again.

Hope this doesn't happen anymore, maybe I visited some internal option without noticing.
As mentioned in the thread, short of not being connected to WiFi while being connected to a power source, there are no controls to stop an automatic update download at some point. You can do something like install a tvOS profile which will prevent that (and make sure to delete the already downloaded update).

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
As mentioned in the thread, short of not being connected to WiFi while being connected to a power source, there are no controls to stop an automatic update download at some point. You can do something like install a tvOS profile which will prevent that (and make sure to delete the already downloaded update).
Can you please instruct me on how may I install this tvOS profile? What should I do exactly?

If this is the only way besides turning wi-fi off I'll do it right now. I have no plans to update iOS, since I want to extract every single minute from my device, I hate the idea of degrading the battery and over time Apple showed to be completely unreliable when it comes to this, given the many iOS 11 complaints and the recent news report about iPhones.

Edit: found a link explaining this process:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/12/11/block-ios-updates/

And a link for the download of such profile:
https://github.com/alexd-p/noota/blob/master/NOOTA.mobileconfig

We need to use Safari for iOS (in the iPAD, or iPhone) and visit the above link. Then click "view raw" in the following page to get the profile.

I tried this + the other steps from the tutorial. It worked! Now my device won't keep pestering me anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.