Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThePieWhoLovedMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
According to the iOS senior advisor I've been in contact with, the engineers have acknowledged this bug (or series of bugs) and will be resolving it in time for iOS 10.1's public release.

Last edited:

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Issue hasn't been resolved. I still have to have my iPhone off silent or I won't hear FaceTime calls coming through on my iPad Air 2

ThePieWhoLovedMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
Issue hasn't been resolved. I still have to have my iPhone off silent or I won't hear FaceTime calls coming through on my iPad Air 2

You're right. It has yet to be resolved, but I've been keeping tabs on it and am still in contact with the iOS advisor, who is in contact with the engineer. I will let you know as soon as I have an update to share. The problem is clearly with bluetooth implementation, specifically when my iPhone is connected via bluetooth to my Apple Watch. If I shut my phone's bluetooth off, and still have my watch on (working through the wifi connection), all my notifications work as expected - even for FaceTime and iMessages.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
You sure it's not a feature? Maybe if your watch is on it's assumed your getting the notification there?

ThePieWhoLovedMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
You sure it's not a feature? Maybe if your watch is on it's assumed your getting the notification there?

I'm sure it's not a feature for my iPad not to have its lock screen switch on or produce a notification tone when I get a text message, just because my watch might be charging while connected to my phone via bluetooth. It makes no sense to even think of that as a "feature" (especially when simply turning bluetooth off fixes things).

Moreover, the engineer has confirmed that there is a problem to be resolved. The issue at this point is that it has not been resolved.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I'm sure it's not a feature for my iPad not to have its lock screen switch on or produce a notification tone when I get a text message, just because my watch might be charging while connected to my phone via bluetooth. It makes no sense to even think of that as a "feature" (especially when simply turning bluetooth off fixes things).

Moreover, the engineer has confirmed that there is a problem to be resolved. The issue at this point is that it has not been resolved.

Thanks! I started this theead, but it's good to know that this is an issue that others are having and Apple is looking at.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Thanks all, I'm also watching this thread closely because Apple broke one of my favorite and most used features. I was so used to having my iPhone on silent across the room while answering texts and phone calls on my iPad. Really got used to it and iOS 10 destroyed that

ThePieWhoLovedMe

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
All these months later, and I am still having this issue. Can the others who have said they have also had it chime in with (a) whether you are using an Apple Watch (and if so, which model/series), (b) which version iPad, and (c) whether turning off bluetooth on your phone so that the watch is connected only through home wifi fixes all the notification issues (it does for me).

I have the first series 38mm sports edition Apple Watch, and a space grey iPad 4th generation (retina) -- the earliest version of the iPad allowed to update to iOS 10.

Thank you.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I have this issue since ios 10 released, it is still not fixed, there is no audible ringtone on the lock screen from not only FaceTime but other 3rd party apps like Viber , Skype, IMO and so on. I though i had a defective iPad but this seems like a Callkit bug in iOS 10 only for iPads

rocket cherry

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2015
I had the same problem on my Macbook Air, and found what the problem was, for me at least.

System Preferences -> Sound Effects -> Play sound effects through: Internal Speakers

Mine used to be set up correctly and then I tinkered with GarageBand and for some reason my computer switched the above to "Play sound effects through: selected sound output device". Since I don't have another sound output device, I didn't hear anything. When I changed it back to the "Internal Speakers", both FaceTime and Messages now work properly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had the same problem on my Macbook Air, and found what the problem was, for me at least.

System Preferences -> Sound Effects -> Play sound effects through: Internal Speakers

Mine used to be set up correctly and then I tinkered with GarageBand and for some reason my computer switched the above to "Play sound effects through: selected sound output device". Since I don't have another sound output device, I didn't hear anything. When I changed it back to the "Internal Speakers", both FaceTime and Messages now work properly.
That doesn't really seem to be iOS/iPad related (as far as what this thread has been about).

mr.tolgao

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I still have this issue, on September/2018. Phone calls are not ringing on my iPad Pro 10.5", when it is on locked screen. Only solution is to turn off Bluetooth. But I don't want to do that. Hope, apple will fix it on iOS 12 ?

Last edited:

WinSoft

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2024
I appreciate this is an old thread. I have now started experiencing this bug. Anyone else? Cheers. (Turning off Bluetooth makes the ringtone sound).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.