Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Soooooo. When can we jailbreak this beotch? I assume its similar to rooting an Android phone? Gives you full control over it? Will the wifi iPAD be able to multi task as well? I am all for this.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
There is no such word as "breaked," "broken" yes.

If its not a Word why does it crop up on Wikipedia so many times.

http://www.google.com/search?q=brea...rchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=wikipedia.org&hl=en

Probably time to gett'ed it'ed added to the English Language at Oxford. Bork'ed Un-words regularly become acceptably everyday use words. Its the basis for English Slang.

Now im of down to the Dog and Duck for a slash. And a packet of porkies and a Pint of their finest Irish river water.. Best use of a Bank Holiday.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Soooooo. When can we jailbreak this beotch? I assume its similar to rooting an Android phone? Gives you full control over it? Will the wifi iPAD be able to multi task as well? I am all for this.

They claim there are not gonna release it till the 3G model comes out.

Jailbreaking will let you install Cydia just like the iPhone.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
They claim there are not gonna release it till the 3G model comes out.

Jailbreaking will let you install Cydia just like the iPhone.

Makes sense, As the 3g Release would be a good time to throw out a update as well. Mind you it would not surprise me if the Apple Developers were already aware of what a lot of the loop holes are in the system. If they leave some there then it makes it easier to close a couple more holes in the next update.

The Os is probably designed like a sieve leaves holes in it so you know were they are.:D

An un-Breakable system would prevent a lot of users from purchasing, Its worth leaving it flawed to real them in. Win Win.

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London

http://www.google.com/search?q=brea...rchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=wikipedia.org&hl=en

Probably time to gett'ed it'ed added to the English Language at Oxford. Bork'ed Un-words regularly become acceptably everyday use words. Its the basis for English Slang.

Now im of down to the Dog and Duck for a slash. And a packet of porkies and a Pint of their finest Irish river water.. Best use of a Bank Holiday.

You could use the same argument for the many other 'words' that people use that aren't actually real words! I'm just going by what the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries say, and they say that 'breaked' is not a word.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
You could use the same argument for the many other 'words' that people use that aren't actually real words! I'm just going by what the Oxford and Cambridge English dictionaries say, and they say that 'breaked' is not a word.

Well I like the Emperors new suit, Digital age The modern dictionary is going to have to respond in in fashion to these new Borked words. Borked Bork'ed gets kicked back by the spell checker and Oxford/Cambridge Dictionaries but its a word in my day to day world and used by a substantive quantity of people across the globe. The Urban Dictionary gets more respect in this new millennia. Oxford an Cambridge are becoming outdated in favour of Street level Communication which happens on a greater scale than when both of those institutions were formed.

The dictionary is not gospel, And neither is the gospel for that fashion:rolleyes:

Its the word according to Jobs.:D

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
I'm pretty sure if you used the word 'breaked' within an application form when applying for a job or in a thesis it wouldn't go down well, and there's a reason for that, but hey as long as the urban dictionary says it's okay eh! ;):D

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

Because anybody can post anything to Wikipedia. That's a very bad attempt to support your argument. If morons write whatever they want it doesn't make the usage correct. Look at the number of times in this forum alone that people use loose rather than lose because they don't seem to know the difference, or care.

Is the sentence correct? "My car breaked down on the highway."

Adding mangled words to the Oxford dictionary just reinforces acceptance of poor language due to some level of common usage.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Because anybody can post anything to Wikipedia. That's a very bad attempt to support your argument. If morons write whatever they want it doesn't make the usage correct. Look at the number of times in this forum alone that people use loose rather than lose because they don't seem to know the difference, or care.

Is the sentence correct? "My car breaked down on the highway."

Munter is not in the dictionary or Smeg Head both are very commonly used words in England, Smeg Head is used more by Red Dwarf fans:D

I have submitted Jailbreaked to the Urban Dictionary. Just to see if they allow it.

At least then I will have grounds:D

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Jailbreaking is a vehicle

Agree, I suspect that most struggling developers don't like jailbreaking at all.
I understand people use jailbreaking to do other things, like multi tasking et cetera, but bottom line - it supports piracy.

I suspect if the dev team didn't want to support piracy there would be a way to enable the features they want without borking the copy protection.

Cars support drunk driving. Therefore they should be banned. Jailbreaking, just like a car, is a vehicle designed to make life easier for people in various ways. What individual people CHOOSE to do with they vehicles is irrelevent and does not reflect on the vehicle's INTENDED purpose.

And no, I am in no ways condoning drunk driving. Like it or not, people have free will, and no matter how hard you try, some people will make absolutley STUPID decisions. But this does not define an entire community.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The real good thing about the iPad is the potential of the device, so I'm looking forward to this :)

To everyone saying that jailbreaking = piracy, you don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who knows the situation between the entertainment industry and P2P will tell you that fighting against technology does not work at stopping piracy. You can NEVER stop piracy, they will always find a way past any DRM, security, firewalls, protection, blocks, lisencing system, tracking system, or whatever.

People who pirate things also tend to spend more buying them too. Many studies have shown that to be true for music.

I recommend developers to either play nice with the jailbreak community or just leave them alone. Piracy is unavoidable, and any attempt at stopping it will only help the pirates to prevail more with stronger cracking techniques they'll they forced to develop.

Last but not least, jailbreakers don't equal pirates. My iPhone is jailbroken but I buy all my apps from the App Store fully legally.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Great. Now the pirates can steal the iPad apps I've developed as well. :rolleyes:

The ironic thing is, there are paid App Stores within the jailbroken ecosystem too. That is, there are people who actually jailbreak their iPhone OS devices, and turn around and actually pay money to purchase paid apps which can only run on jailbroken devices.

huntersn2

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
IT'S OFFICIAL! iPAD HAS BEEN JAILBROKEN!!

http://gizmodo.com/5509219/apple-ipad-already-jailbroken

I will be going to get mine today as my roommate has gotten tether and ssh to work on his iPad, making me jealous!

He is now working on installing Cydia, terminal, a root user and a few other things that were above my understanding.

What do you all think of this jailbreak? What do you want to see on the iPad that you couldn't if you left it stock? Does it make you mad or are you now happy Apple's choke hold is lifted from this amazing product?

I now will not be paying for a Wifi/3G version because I already have a 3GS iPhone that has an unlimited data plan. Thus if my iPad doesn't have Wifi, I will be tethering my iPhones 3G's service to my iPad. It seems a little profit hungry that Apple would have one paying for two 3G services and not allow tethering.

Also, in theory, one can control their home computer via ssh from their iPad with a jailbroken version. Sounds more fun to me than a stock iPad!

Off the top of my head here is what I'm thinking of as benefits for a jailbroken iPad....Unlimited Apps/free games, terminal command prompts, can run torrents, Cydia, unlimited video formats, organization of icons, customization of background/font/screen lock, GOOGLE VOICE...

Lastly, is it mere profit that Apple is after or is their another reason that I'm missing as to why Apple does not want their products to have their full potential?

Let me know what you all think please!
Long live Apple! ha

huntersn2

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Ya I read them. Sorry I will edit, I have a different direction with mine if that's alright with you?

People arguing over jailbroke/jailbreaken/jailbreak terminology is worthless, so I started my own.

huntersn2

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Apps I will be using with my soon to be "jailbroken" iPad...

Cydia, OpenSSH, Terminal, VNC, Springboard, a new video player that supports more formats such a xvid/mkv, a program better than iDisplay?

In theory, one will be able to control their mac computer screen from their iPad while on the same wireless network right?

jmor

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
NJ, USA
I have an iPhone 3GS that is not jailbroken, while my brother's is and he keeps trying to convince me to do so as well. He does it in order to customize his phone. What I would like to see on the iPad before I would consider jailbraking:
-tethering to my iphone
-multitasking
-customizing

Which I think can be done so I would do it mainly just to be able to tether as I don't want to pay AT&T for 2 data plans when one has spotty service already and my iPhone has unlimited data. The one thing holding me back would be if I could not access the regular Apple App Store for my app purchases, do you have to use jailbroken app stores or can you still access the normal one as well?

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
The ironic thing is, there are paid App Stores within the jailbroken ecosystem too. That is, there are people who actually jailbreak their iPhone OS devices, and turn around and actually pay money to purchase paid apps which can only run on jailbroken devices.

Yes, I've bought Apps through the jailbreaked App store. There is some cool stuff there like MvTones. Video ringtones. Sweeet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.