Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Well I like the Emperors new suit, Digital age The modern dictionary is going to have to respond in in fashion to these new Borked words. Borked Bork'ed gets kicked back by the spell checker and Oxford/Cambridge Dictionaries but its a word in my day to day world and used by a substantive quantity of people across the globe. The Urban Dictionary gets more respect in this new millennia. Oxford an Cambridge are becoming outdated in favour of Street level Communication which happens on a greater scale than when both of those institutions were formed.

The dictionary is not gospel, And neither is the gospel for that fashion:rolleyes:

Its the word according to Jobs.:D

Actually the OED is gospel for vocabulary the rest is slang. Frankly pervasive ignorance doesn't create modern language it destroys it. Unfortunately few people agree with me which is why Americans seem like ignorant fools to many outside the USA. To further the point apple contributed when they decided to use the word funner in the touch ad campaign. I know it's tough to believe or understand but there are people out there who cringe at the devolution of the English language.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
NIce. Maybe I'll consider buying an iPad now. When I had my iPhones, jailbreaking added much more functionality for me and made things a lot more enjoyable.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
His quote was from the OP. And it is all about piracy.

You are completely wrong if you think it's all about piracy. It's about customizing your device the way you want it not the way someone else tells you it should be. Of course there will be piracy. There always will be those who are dishonest and lack moral fiber. But each of us can do our part to combat piracy if we encounter it.

I work in the entertainment field. Sometimes I run into folks who pirate films from the Net or sell pirated DVD's. I usually, if circumstances permit, try to explain how their thievery directly affects my livelihood. These are not bad people, per say. They just don't realize how their dishonest actions directly impact others.

I have always had a jailbreaked iPhone. I have never pirated an App. I am the norm rather than the exception.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
You are completely wrong if you think it's all about piracy. It's about customizing your device the way you want it not the way someone else tells you it should be. Of course there will be piracy. There always will be those who are dishonest and lack moral fiber. But each of us can do our part to combat piracy if we encounter it.

I work in the entertainment field. Sometimes I run into folks who pirate films from the Net or sell pirated DVD's. I usually, if circumstances permit, try to explain how their thievery directly affects my livelihood. These are not bad people, per say. They just don't realize how their dishonest actions directly impact others.

I have always had a jailbreaked iPhone. I have never pirated an App. I am the norm rather than the exception.

Of course there are honest people. But don't kid yourself -- the majority of people will be pirating.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Of course there are honest people. But don't kid yourself -- the majority of people will be pirating.

Actually, the majority of people are honest. It's the minority that's not.

As I stated before in a different thread I know a LOT of people with jailbreaked iPhones. NONE of them uses pirated Apps. And they don't know anyone who does, either.

That doesn't mean we don't know how to. We do. We just choose not to.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Actually, the majority of people are honest. It's the minority that's not.

As I stated before in a different thread I know a LOT of people with jailbreaked iPhones. NONE of them uses pirated Apps. And they don't know anyone who does, either.

That doesn't mean we don't know how to. We do. We just choose not to.

Like the music files from downloading a torrent? They'll out there. Lots of them.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Sure but some of those illegal music guys have ipads, right? My point really was that jail breaking causes piracy to an extent. 5%, 10% -- either way too much.
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no practical recourse for widespread alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no recourse for alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

And if you didn't buy the iPad, there wouldn't be any piracy, thus by extension, YOU caused piracy. (you being a general term, not the author specifically).

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Apple's insistence that all Apps must be distributed through them, and even then only if the Apps meet their eligibility requirements, with no practical recourse for widespread alternate distribution if Apple rejects the app, causes jailbreaking. And as you said, Jailbreaking causes piracy. So by extension, Apple causes piracy. :D

This is the worst example of rationalization I've ever seen.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005

Thy doth protest too much!

It's the same thing when people gripe about companies like Comcast shaping P2P traffic on their networks because 99.9% (probably more) of P2P traffic is of copyrighted, pirated material. That doesn't mean that I agree with the equation that 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale, but I'm not so naive to think that most people who complain about something like this being locked down are indeed going to pirate with it.

Just look at PSP software sales versus hardware sales.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
I would not be jailbreaking my ipad to steal apps. I think I can afford a few bucks for an app I want :) I would want to do it to be able to multi task. Its so stupid that you cant even have Pandora playing in the background while you do something else. Being able to multi task is a huge reason I chose an Android phone over an iphone. Hope Apple steps it up a bit.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
This is the worst example of rationalization I've ever seen.

The smile at the end was intended to denote the sarcasm that should have been detectable in my comments. Clearly, Apple is no more responsible for App pirating that Ford or Honda are responsible for DUI fatalities.

Anyway, it is a simple statement of fact that jailbreaking the iPhone came into being long before there were even any App Store Apps in existence to be pirated in the first place. And shortly thereafter, still before the App Store had come into existence, original pieces of software were being authored, which could only be distributed to jailbroken iPhones.

The use of jailbreaking, therefore, to distribute Apps with the App author's consent, predates the use of jailbreaking to pirate Apps without the App author's consent: Jailbreaking's whole purpose for existence in the first place is to act as a mechanism to distribute Apps that cannot be distributed through Apple.

The fact that some people have co-opted it as a means to prevent some App developers from being paid for some of their work is a very regrettable side-effect. Just like the very regrettable side-effect that some drunk drivers have co-opted automobiles and turned them into lethal weapons.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
The smile at the end was intended to denote the sarcasm that should have been detectable in my comments. Clearly, Apple is no more responsible for App pirating that Ford or Honda are responsible for DUI fatalities.

Anyway, it is a simple statement of fact that jailbreaking the iPhone came into being long before there were even any App Store Apps in existence to be pirated in the first place. And shortly thereafter, still before the App Store had come into existence, original pieces of software were being authored, which could only be distributed to jailbroken iPhones.

The use of jailbreaking, therefore, to distribute Apps with the App author's consent, predates the use of jailbreaking to pirate Apps without the App author's consent: Jailbreaking's whole purpose for existence in the first place is to act as a mechanism to distribute Apps that cannot be distributed through Apple.

The fact that some people have co-opted it as a means to prevent some App developers from being paid for some of their work is a very regrettable side-effect. Just like the very regrettable side-effect that some drunk drivers have co-opted automobiles and turned them into lethal weapons.

Ha, went over my head then. Bravo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.