Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Hi guys,

Been playing with my iPad the past 2 days now. It is great and things like reading my music and books on it are awesome.

My issue is that I do not want or need another thing to carry around. I love my iPhone and I have a 13 inch pro that I use for my business and communication. I got the laptop to have everything in one place, with the iPhone as a way of checking things quickly on the move.

It is also about expense, having to pay for 3g when I already pay for it on my phone and the extra apps will soon add up.

I am not dissing the iPad and I can see that it really does fill a gap between phone and computer but I feel it is more suited to those that do not have an iPhone or may those that have a iPhone and a Desktop.

I also live in a very small apartment and so my laptop/phone is always close at hand.

I bought scrabble and that (and other games I am sure) is awesome on this device but I am just not enough of a gamer to warrant keeping it.

I am pretty certain that I am going to return it (although I have now spent about £50 on apps already, doh!).

I really wish Apple would update the air and add 3G to it as this would probably suit me the best of everything.

What are your thoughts on this? :apple:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My thoughts? Perhaps you should have educated yourself a but more before jumping in. Just return it, the ipad won't be for everyone.

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
You don't have to pay the 3G costs, just use it as a wi-fi only model with the option for 3G should you ever need it. I have an iPhone and a MBP 13" and I love the iPad. For web browsing, checking emails, playing games etc. It beats the MBP hands-down.

The way I see it in my life is that the iPad is for very simple computer use lying on a couch in front of the tv, or using it in bed where my 13" would have it's fans blocked and would burn my legs off! The iPad is there for my media consumption, my iPhone is for quick computer use when on the move, and the MBP is for all the proper work I need to do that the iPad obviously cannot do. The iPad also helps separate my work from my home as it's the go-to device when I'm not working, irrespective of how close my laptop may be.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My issue is that I do not want or need another thing to carry around. I love my iPhone and I have a 13 inch pro that I use for my business and communication. I got the laptop to have everything in one place, with the iPhone as a way of checking things quickly on the move.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. No big. But I must say I don't "get" the carrying around remark. I agree, carrying around a lot of redundant devices is ridiculous, which is why I never have my laptop and iPad with me at the same time outside of the house. It's one or the other. I do not feel guilt or compulsion to bring both with me when there is no need. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for each in my life.

Many times a laptop is overkill to take along so I'm relived to shed the weight. At home, my iPad is seemingly glued to my hand - no more running to the computer for a quick task. My laptop on the other hand rarely moves from it's proper home but I would not want to be without it for CPU intensive jobs or even writing a long memo.

Yes, I have an iPhone too. It's great for quick browsing or a game while waiting for the subway or in line at the store. But for anything else the screen is too small to really be productive. I love the iPhone, but it's still a phone.

So that's the short of why it's easy for me to own these three devices which have similar functionality, yet are used in very different ways. My life is forever changed. I could never not own a laptop, tablet, or smartphone again.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
I see your point. I have an iMac for serious business. The iPad is for vacations and all the times I need to just occupy some time. I actually sold my MBP as the iPad replaced it and Im beginning to wonder if I really need an iPhone anymore. Everyone has a system. It fits for some and not for others.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I agree with the carrying around thing. For me its been my iPhone and my nokia in the car (my office) - now the iPhone is up for sale so I can have an iPad (as my little Nokia is a great comms device and my iPhone is only a stop-gap until something like the iPad arrived). I can't wait to get it sold and have the iPad as for me it fulfills my every need when mobile (basic office, media and web with the most important - BOOKS!!!)

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Hi guys,

Been playing with my iPad the past 2 days now. It is great and things like reading my music and books on it are awesome.

It is also about expense, having to pay for 3g when I already pay for it on my phone and the extra apps will soon add up.

I am not dissing the iPad and I can see that it really does fill a gap between phone and computer but I feel it is more suited to those that do not have an iPhone or may those that have a iPhone and a Desktop.

I also live in a very small apartment and so my laptop/phone is always close at hand.

I bought scrabble and that (and other games I am sure) is awesome on this device but I am just not enough of a gamer to warrant keeping it.

I am pretty certain that I am going to return it (although I have now spent about £50 on apps already, doh!).

I really wish Apple would update the air and add 3G to it as this would probably suit me the best of everything.

I haven't one yet here in Ireland yet.
If you like you can donate it to me. I'll take a chance on liking it. I'm also willing to pay the transport costs and will even refund your 50 quid.
How's that for generosity

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
If it's not for you, it's not for you. No big. But I must say I don't "get" the carrying around remark. I agree, carrying around a lot of redundant devices is ridiculous, which is why I never have my laptop and iPad with me at the same time outside of the house. It's one or the other. I do not feel guilt or compulsion to bring both with me when there is no need. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for each in my life.

Many times a laptop is overkill to take along so I'm relived to shed the weight. At home, my iPad is seemingly glued to my hand - no more running to the computer for a quick task. My laptop on the other hand rarely moves from it's proper home but I would not want to be without it for CPU intensive jobs or even writing a long memo.

Yes, I have an iPhone too. It's great for quick browsing or a game while waiting for the subway or in line at the store. But for anything else the screen is too small to really be productive. I love the iPhone, but it's still a phone.

So that's the short of why it's easy for me to own these three devices which have similar functionality, yet are used in very different ways. My life is forever changed. I could never not own a laptop, tablet, or smartphone again.

I agree 100% with your assessment. I use my 3 devices the exact same way. All 3 serve a very different purpose and all 3 are necessary. The best part is that I have found the right apps to have all 3 synched for important things like todo lists and notes. I have never been better organized or more productive as a result.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
Spending the weekend in San Diego and I only brought my iPad to dump my raw files and if work calls I can rdp...it fits me quite well:)

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Different strokes for different folks. But it's so much nicer leaving my MPB at home sometimes now...the weight difference in my backpack is nice :D

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Are we talking 13 or 15 inch mbp?

Also can you elaborate on these apps that help you stay productive. Maybe this is what is causing me the headache.

Are you guys still going to buy the new iPhone when it's announced?

I do like the iPad I just have to be sure it's going to suit me. For example I need access to my important files. I guess I can store these on MobileMe though...

Please don't think I am slating this thing (excuse the pun)

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Sell it and get your money back, and go about your life happily.

This thread is great but not for me.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida

I was not initially impressed with the iPad until after reading about the real life experiences of the early adopters, and I was then sold. I have not regretted my decision and even though I have two Macbooks, including the Air, I have managed to find a niche for it in my life. I use it primarily at work, at coffee shops, movies, beach....pretty much everywhere I go. I am not a gamer either, but have enjoyed most of the games I have purchased so far.

Honestly, though, if my Air were 3G capable, I would be unable to justify the purchase, despite how incredible I think the device is, because at the end of the day it is a luxury item and not a need.

Best of luck, whatever your choice.

Jude

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
What the **** is with all these **** wads who buy the iPad knowing very well they don't ****ing want one! :mad:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
How is this any different from the numerous other members that did the same thing?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/895160/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/890164/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/914210/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/890550/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/903378/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/892200/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/908150/

The only reason people post these sorts of things is because they know that they'll get a dozen replies and start a troll thread. Just ignore them and they'll go away. Why anyone should care if John Doe returns his iPad is beyond me.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I think the iPad is a wonderful look into the future of computers on the go and is great to have on the coffee table or in the kitchen etc. I use my iMac for everyday computing. I have a MacBookAir for when I travel out of town. It is small, light and powerful. I also have an iPod touch. I load books on it to read whenever I am waiting in offices etc. since it fits nicely in my pocket and I can increase the size of the font for easy reading.
Presently the iPad is not for me but I am sure it will be at a later date since it is the future way of enjoying the net, e-mail experiences and a plethora of other uses, that are showing up at an increasingly rapid pace.
Kudos to Apple. You have done it again!!

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
iPads sold: 2 million.
It's not for me: 5,998,000,000

I think we have a winner :D

Fixed that for you.

The global population is around 6 billion. So 6 billion minus 2 million= 5,998,000,000.

I do plan on getting one though so no need to take this post as a negative thing. I was just putting it into perspective. I am sure sales will continue to be brisk for at least the next few months.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Fixed that for you.

The global population is around 6 billion. So 6 billion minus 2 million= 5,998,000,000.

I do plan on getting one though so no need to take this post as a negative thing. I was just putting it into perspective. I am sure sales will continue to be brisk for at least the next few months.

Not quite. It isn't available to all 6 billion people. Even if it was, you can't even begin to know how many of those would want one. The math isn't that straight forward at all...............you started it :p

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
It's a bummer you can't find a place for the iPad in your daily treks. It's a nice device and even great for some things. I think of it as a pleasure item. You may find in another year coming back to it as your life changes possibly. It's great to have such choices.

I seem to be using it most in the home but also think it's handy to have out of the house also.
I've been lucky and found a place or two for it in my daily grind.

Only a few short years back we did not have it so nice. :)

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Why does it seem like some people give me a hard time for saying what I think?!

I keep changing my mind about the iPad, it is awesome and the screen is amazing. It is very personal and a lot of fun.

The thing for me is that I live in a TINY apartment and hope to move to the USA this year.

For those reasons alone I feel the iPhone 4 and a new MacBook Air would be a much better combination.

But then it does not hurt to have the choice of 3 devices.

It helps to hear that others are using all 3. I think I shall wait to see what WWDC holds...

drybeer

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
Hi.

New to macs in last 2 months, and also new to this site.

I've got an iphone and an imac.

I have been looking forward to getting my hands on an ipad for months now, and when I got the chance to handle it in the apple boutique in Glasgow today I was truly underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong - it's amazing quality, slick and reasonably fast in operation but I could not see what it does that my iphone does not already do perfectly well.

And this is I think the subject - it's not a thread to bad mouth Apple - far from it - I still the ipad is a brilliant looking piece of kit, but I can't think of how it will simplify or improve my life.

It's like when you try to dump someone nicely - what I'm saying about the ipad is "It's not you - it's me"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.