Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Not quite. It isn't available to all 6 billion people. Even if it was, you can't even begin to know how many of those would want one. The math isn't that straight forward at all...............you started it :p

Yes, I very much agree with you on this. My statement was as ridiculous as the post I was replying to. This was very much intentional. :)

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Hi.

New to macs in last 2 months, and also new to this site.

I've got an iphone and an imac.

I have been looking forward to getting my hands on an ipad for months now, and when I got the chance to handle it in the apple boutique in Glasgow today I was truly underwhelmed.

Don't get me wrong - it's amazing quality, slick and reasonably fast in operation but I could not see what it does that my iphone does not already do perfectly well.

And this is I think the subject - it's not a thread to bad mouth Apple - far from it - I still the ipad is a brilliant looking piece of kit, but I can't think of how it will simplify or improve my life.

It's like when you try to dump someone nicely - what I'm saying about the ipad is "It's not you - it's me"

I intend getting one in Ireland as soon as they're released.
One thing the iPad does that the iPhone doesn't do as well is you can see everything so much easier. Surfing the net on an iPhone is only something I do in an emergency. The screen is just too small for that purpose. It's a bit like saying if you have a 14" portable tv, there is no need to ever own a 52" flatscreen

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I am also in Ireland at the moment. I was thinking of taking a trip up to Belfast to pick up an iPad. Does anybody know of the availabilty now of 3G models?

Sorry to hijack the thread but if there is a thread on Northern Ireland availability could somebody point me to it? I haven't seen any thread like that so far.

drybeer

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
One thing the iPad does that the iPhone doesn't do as well is you can see everything so much easier

Agree wholeheartedly.

However what web browsing I do on the iphone is minor, mainly forums I know my way around well, and the portability is better.

And it's phone!

For major web browsing, gaming and photos and itunes etc my mac is in the office along the hall, so no big probs.

Like I said - for me the ipad won't make my life better, but I am very happy to concede that to others out there it's the product they've been waiting for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.