Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Is anyone else's iPad lagging when swiping from the springboard into spotlight and back out of spotlight? It's not smooth at all, I noticed it the minute I switched on the iPad for the first time but it's just bugging me how lag-y and jittery it is. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this as I'm not in the mood to go to the apple store and i leave for holiday on Monday!

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I just tried it very fast about 15 times in a row. No lag.

Then, I opened and used an app, went back to home, opened and used an app, and repeated this a few times, then tried what you said again many times in a row very rapidly. No lag.

Everything is instant and smooth.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this as I'm not in the mood to go to the apple store and i leave for holiday on Monday!

If you went to the Apple store for this, I would only hope they would laugh at you.

It's this way on everyone's iPad. Just be patient for an update. That is, if Apple even sees this as an "Issue."

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
If you went to the Apple store for this, I would only hope they would laugh at you.

It's this way on everyone's iPad. Just be patient for an update. That is, if Apple even sees this as an "Issue."

If this is true of everyone's iPad, can you tell me how to reproduce it? I don't seem to have this problem at all.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Dunno what to say I tested my model by doing. It. 11 times and no lag maybe try rebooting your device

Same. But Matthew said, "It's this way on everyone's iPad," so I wonder if he can show us a reliable way to reproduce the problem.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I think we need to see a video of this "lag" the OP is describing. I can see on my iPad that the transition from app page to another app page is "smoother" than the home page 1 to Spotlight. There is a VERY SLIGHT "lag" when it transitions to Spotlight, you really have to pay attention to notice this.

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
There's a definite lag on my iPad, the iPad I demoed in the Apple store, my iPhone 3GS and my friends iPhone 3G. It's just one of things I expect, a very slight jerk the first time you do. I always presumed it was software related, but with Apple having never fixed this on the 3GS I wouldn't hold out much hope, though you never know what OS 4.0 will bring.

In the grand scheme of things it's not really issue at all.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Thanks for the replies guys! At least I'm not the only one experiencing this, bear in mind, when scrolling between pages of apps it's buttery smooth, it's just when swiping to spotlight it's very jerky, I may give it a restore if it really bugs me but for now I'll just leave it until an update. :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Any judgement right now is pointless. As soon as OS 4 is out we see the real thing. Let's wait for OS4 and then create a bug/complaint/wish list.

Apple created a functional device but the real performance will show with the next OS that is optimized for the iPad.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Is anyone else's iPad lagging when swiping from the springboard into spotlight and back out of spotlight? It's not smooth at all, I noticed it the minute I switched on the iPad for the first time but it's just bugging me how lag-y and jittery it is. I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this as I'm not in the mood to go to the apple store and i leave for holiday on Monday!

Really?!?

Why is this an issue?!?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'll be honest my 3gs and ipad both work fine, neither do as you are saying even when I stream a lossless audio track. Even straight after quitting a heavy 3d game I fail to produce your results.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys! At least I'm not the only one experiencing this, bear in mind, when scrolling between pages of apps it's buttery smooth, it's just when swiping to spotlight it's very jerky, I may give it a restore if it really bugs me but for now I'll just leave it until an update. :)

I tried again and again, both on iPhone and iPad, and I just cannot reproduce the problem. One poster said I must pay attention to notice it. Well, I deliberately tried to imagine it happening and it still didn't work. Contrary to what one poster claimed, I do not believe that all iPads have this issue. Both my iPhone and iPad have been consistently smooth swiping in and out of spotlight -- instant, no lag, no jerk, at all.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I suppose hhe keyboard being dragged up gives it the appearance of lag... What's the problem though... It's still very quick

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
The more I try to reproduce the problem, the faster and smoother it becomes. So I am heading the other way on this issue.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I'm not seeing it, either. What I am seeing that might give the impression of lag and jitters is the transition to shading and back again.

mizelly41

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Illinois
I tried it and saw the same lag. As someone said, the more I tried, the better it got. I tried hitting the home button to go to spotlight and it was very smooth.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I tried again and again, both on iPhone and iPad, and I just cannot reproduce the problem. One poster said I must pay attention to notice it. Well, I deliberately tried to imagine it happening and it still didn't work. Contrary to what one poster claimed, I do not believe that all iPads have this issue. Both my iPhone and iPad have been consistently smooth swiping in and out of spotlight -- instant, no lag, no jerk, at all.

My experience exactly. No lag here whatsoever.

iPadztr

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Pluto avenue
Doesn't lag if you use the home button... But if you use your finger to swipe back to spotlight, there's a little lag... Doesn't really bother me...

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Doesn't lag if you use the home button... But if you use your finger to swipe back to spotlight, there's a little lag... Doesn't really bother me...

No, incorrect. I am using MY finger (on my iPad) to swipe and I experience no such lag.

Maybe if you use YOUR finger on YOUR iPad there's a little lag. ;-P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.