Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Yep I get this too (not that it's a problem). Slow swipe is smooth, home button is smooth, quick swipe it stutters once. Same on my iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think it's lag as much as the iPad closing down the keyboard in spotlight as it moves to the first home screen.

For me there is tiny frame rate drop but nothing remotely worrying and if this tiny little lag as your machines hides the keyboard is such an issue that you need to run to an Apple Genius then personally I think

Making-Molehills.jpg

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
When comparing going to/from spotlight & home via swiping vs. pressing the Home button - swiping is absolutely faster. If I swipe to get In and out of Spotlight, it moves as smoothly as it does going from any other screen to the next/previous. However, when I press (and then of course release) the Home button to do so there is at least a 1/2 second delay.

Could wallpaper be a factor here? I know it's a reach....and this seems like a non-issue to me anyhow but just curious.

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Haha, I think I'll have to make a video of it cos it's not what you guys are thinking. I've had every iPod touch and every iPhone and in comparison, the iPhone 2G is smoother than my iPad. It's not that first stutter it usually has when swiping in and out of spotlight, every swipe be it slow or by pressing the home button causes it to be very jittery. I can't make a video ATM but when I get home I will.

Reed Rothchild

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Blighty
I find there's a very small delay when swiping to Spotlight. Not something I'd define as a lag though. Swiping from page to page is instant but it's only showing a new set of apps. Swiping to the Spotlight results in a big keyboard appearing and the dimming of the background. So maybe it's not surprising that there's a very slight feeling of delay rather than the instant response of going from app screen to app screen. It also seems to be pretty non-existant when swiping back and forth between home screen and search screen, so I guess there's a bit of cacheing going on too. In comparison, on my iPhone 3G it is slightly more "draggy" but still not a problem, unless the difference between a working device and a broken device is a screen refresh taking a few extra milliseconds :).

mmoosa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
London, UK
Don't get me wrong, I still love my iPad and I'm sure a reset or update will fix it but I just wanted to know if I was the only one experiencing such a laggy, draggy and jerky response to swiping into spotlight. Other than that it's still fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.