Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jclok

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2021
Thanks. I will try, but I’m fairly certain it’s the exact same display as the new pro 11. If that’s the case and it doesn’t have PWM, I have no idea what’s affecting me.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Have you tried the iPad Air 4 (2020)? I'm having problems with my iPad pro 2021 as well and having some serious eye-strain.
Is that the 2021 11"? My eyes felt disturbed with the XDR 12.9" so was going to get an 11" but I'm seeing more posts about eye-strain with all the Pro's as they appear to have PWM.

Last edited:

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Is that the 2021 11"? My eyes felt disturbed with the XDR 12.9" so was going to get an 11" but I'm seeing more post about eye-strain with all the Pro's as they appear to have PWM.
It was with the 2021 11” pro. I dont know if it is PWM but at first I have some difficulties to focus, then like I would have a very dry or sand in my eyes. If I try to use it for hours my eyes feel strained even at the morning.

Its real pity as I was really hyped about this new iPad pro as it ticked all the boxes. As someone said it would be nice if instead of all the health aspects Apple can monetize they would focus on the most important one. The screen of these devices.

Jclok

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2021
It was with the 2021 11” pro. I dont know if it is PWM but at first I have some difficulties to focus, then like I would have a very dry or sand in my eyes. If I try to use it for hours my eyes feel strained even at the morning.

Its real pity as I was really hyped about this new iPad pro as it ticked all the boxes. As someone said it would be nice if instead of all the health aspects Apple can monetize they would focus on the most important one. The screen of these devices.
I am 100% with you on that.

I have come to a good theory after having relative issues with newer televisions and now this iPad Pro. Check to see if you have ever had an issue with edge lit screens. I believe the 2017 model was edge lit and these newer Liquid Retina displays are backlit in zones.

I have noticed that edge lit devices cause me no issues. backlit such as zoned and full array all give me issues with a few weird exceptions.
1). Plasma TVs. (essentially self lit pixels)
2). My OLED iPhone X

all OLED TVs give me the same problem though. Very weird.

I just wanted to throw some more data out there.

Reactions: foliovision

ocean10

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2023
Thanks for the input! I’ve been very hesitant to try the iPad Air 4 since they state it uses the same “Liquid Retina” display. In all fairness, I should give it a go. My friend has last years’ iPad Pro 11 and I had the same issue with it.

I bought an Apple refurbished 2017 iPad Pro to hold me over until I see what Apple does next.
Jclok - Not sure if you are still on here but are you still able to use your 2017 iPad Pro? If so, have you updated it to a newer iOS? I had done a similar thing in that I bought a second 1st Gen iPad Pro so that I'd have a backup (new ones weren't working for me). When I updated one of the iPad Pros to a late version of iOS 16 it became unusable for me. (weird dizziness, nausea type feeling, warmth and general unease). The one I left on iOS 15 is still completely fine. I put them next to each other and they look exactly the same except one makes me sick to look at.

Reactions: asleep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.