Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Anyone try iPadOS on an iPad Mini 4? I have some reservations about upgrading since its the lowest-spec ipad supported (A8 CPU). The iPad Air 2 has A8X. Both have 2GB RAM.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I have one running 13.1.2 and it’s great.
It’s not worse at anything than on 12 and somethings are even better.

Reactions: sracer

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Anyone try iPadOS on an iPad Mini 4? I have some reservations about upgrading since its the lowest-spec ipad supported (A8 CPU). The iPad Air 2 has A8X. Both have 2GB RAM.
Apple learned their lesson with the original iPad mini. Go right ahead and update your iPad mini 4.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I am thinking about updating my wife's mini 4 to 13. Is there still a consensus that it does not make it much slower? I remember the update to iOS 9 on her mini 1 slowing it down very much.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It’s more or less the same, even if I haven’t a direct comparison. Sometimes it feels a little bit slower than before, but it may just be my impression, since, again, I cannot directly compare. Anyway even if it were a little bit slower, all the added features (desktop browser, dark mode, resizable keyboard etc.) are largely worth it...

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
I updated my Mini 4 last week to 14.0.1 and the battery does drain a little quicker with normal to heavy use compared to before. One thing I have noticed is that the APP developers are still trying to play catch-up getting their apps updated. Battery drain is pretty much the same on standby.

Reactions: hanser

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I updated my Mini 4 last week to 14.0.1 and the battery does drain a little quicker with normal to heavy use compared to before. One thing I have noticed is that the APP developers are still trying to play catch-up getting their apps updated. Battery drain is pretty much the same on standby.

Thank you. How is performance, does it get more sluggish than before?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Thank you. How is performance, does it get more sluggish than before?

I love the iPad Mini 4 but ours really started to slow down some time in the IOS13 updates. Apple blocked downgrading to iOS13 so fast so I was too nervous to try IOS14 and instead I just sold it.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
New PadOS Version, same question: How does the mini 4 behave unter 15? still usable?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
No idea. I've been using the IPP more. Had to charge the M4 for a while as it was dead. It *seems* workable, but I never really did much on it except read books, check the weather, playing music, etc.

My original Mini got really laggy before I got the M4. It worked well enough I skipped the M5.

And beta is beta. Sometimes beta gets faster, sometimes not...

Reactions: grininja

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Mine definitely feels slow and laggy. Especially compared to the iPhone 12 Mini.

Loading websites takes longer, typing in the adressbar (while its already trying to search while typing) is sometimes sluggish. Starting and moving splitview is laggy.

It's definitely still usable. But if you got other devices that are much faster, you can feel the difference.

It also gets a bit better when things are getting cached, it seems. Like when i switched to the 2nd homescreen just now, it was a bit laggy. But when i go back and forth now, it is smooth again.

It already wasn't the smoothest in iOS14. But i think it got a bit worse.

Reactions: grininja

Fin1hms

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
I’m here researching the lag on my mini 4. It’s awful with the latest update. So slow that I’m on my iPhone’s tiny screen because I can’t stand how long it takes to open apps and search….

kimguroo

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
I am having issues with slow and laggy problems. Never had it before…..
Apple tries to throttle old machines so we need to buy new iPad mini6???

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I am having issues with slow and laggy problems. Never had it before…..
Apple tries to throttle old machines so we need to buy new iPad mini6???

They're not really throttling it. iOS just got bloated over the years adding new features so older hardware can't cope as well.

Also, the iPad mini line didn't get updated for 4 years when CPU was improving fairly rapidly so there's a huge performance gap between just the mini 4 and mini 5.

The mini 4 is ~68% slower than the mini 5 and ~77% slower than the mini 6. As for multi-core, the mini 4 is ~75% slower than the mini 5 and ~85% slower than the mini 6. That difference is probably akin to something running on Pentium 4 vs AMD Ryzen.

GB5 single
mini 4 350
mini 5 1100
mini 6 1500

GB5 multi
mini 4 660
mini 5 2700
mini 6 4400

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.