Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
How about 15.4, has it been optimized enough so iPad mini 4 is better usable?

I updated my launch Mini 4 with 15.4 and it runs fine. It is still sluggish and not a good web-browsing experience which indicates that the system is really starting to show its age. The 4 is better suited for video streaming on apps like YouTube, Disney and Netflix as they work perfectly.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In my experience, later point updates often run better on older hardware.

Maybe a little bit.

However, at this point in time, there's no getting around the fact that the mini 4 has 75% slower single core and 50% less RAM compared to the least expensive iPad 9th gen, and has difficult coping with software optimized for faster hardware.

Richy85

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2020
I updated my launch Mini 4 with 15.4 and it runs fine. It is still sluggish and not a good web-browsing experience which indicates that the system is really starting to show its age. The 4 is better suited for video streaming on apps like YouTube, Disney and Netflix as they work perfectly.
Does the screen share option in facetime work for you?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Does the screen share option in facetime work for you?
Sorry, I wouldn’t be able to say.

I haven’t used FaceTime in over a year. I tend to use WhatsApp or Skype for video conferencing & that’s on my phone.

Based on the performance of the device, I wouldn’t be screen sharing while on a call.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
We have now used the iPad mini 4 under 15.4.1 for some time, and in our experience it is not worse than unter iOS14. A bit sluggish, but still usable.

Richy85

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2020
Sorry, I wouldn’t be able to say.

I haven’t used FaceTime in over a year. I tend to use WhatsApp or Skype for video conferencing & that’s on my phone.

Based on the performance of the device, I wouldn’t be screen sharing while on a call.

thanks for answering. Some time ago I made a post, but nobody told me if the same thing happened to him.... I hope someone could answer me

Richy85

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2020
It says not supported.
The same thing happens to me on my mom's ipad mini 4, I looked everywhere, supposedly it's compatible with all ipads that support iPadOS 15. It's updated to the latest version, so I don't know why it doesn't work

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The same thing happens to me on my mom's ipad mini 4, I looked everywhere, supposedly it's compatible with all ipads that support iPadOS 15. It's updated to the latest version, so I don't know why it doesn't work

It does have the least capable hardware among devices that runs iOS 15.

Could be too slow CPU/GPU, lack of HEVC codec support, etc.

Richy85

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2020
It does have the least capable hardware among devices that runs iOS 15.

Could be too slow CPU/GPU, lack of HEVC codec support, etc.
yes, it could be, my problem is that apple does not mention that it is not compatible with the ipad mini 4... other functions if it warns that it is not compatible... that is why it seems strange to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.