Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I absolutely love my iPad for marking up PDF documents and I read on it for hours a day.

With that being said, I use my Kindle for fiction reading. When I use my iPad I am in my controlled environment, my office, and easily have access to power to recharge. My Kindle I can take anywhere with me and its charge lasts literally weeks. You can read in the sun. You can read in the dark, whatever you want.

Unless you need to mark up documents, the Kindle is simply better for reading longer periods of time. Don't get me wrong... the iPad has wonderful strengths (it turns pages faster, can do color, can do other things besides displaying books)... but if you just want to read, the Kindle is where its at.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I understand the desire to simplify and reduce the number of devices, but sometimes a special purpose device is better for the job. It helps that Kindles and Kobos are pretty cheap. You can get a Kindle for around $89 and the newest one with the larger screen starts at $139. That is the price of a keyboard or stand for the iPad ?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I understand the desire to simplify and reduce the number of devices, but sometimes a special purpose device is better for the job. It helps that Kindles and Kobos are pretty cheap. You can get a Kindle for around $89 and the newest one with the larger screen starts at $139. That is the price of a keyboard or stand for the iPad ?

To add onto this, if one watches for it, Woot (Amazon) has Kindle Voyages from time to time, for only around $40-50.

That was the premium device in 2014/2015 and it's what I use today (we have 3 around the house).

To this day there hasn't been an e-reader released with a screen as clear and as sharp (I've tried them all and continue to do so).

Granted - it's only 6", which I do realize is a deal breaker for some.
But -- premium screen for $40-50 can't be beat if one catches them getting sold.

They go quickly for a reason.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden

But if I am bringing another special purpose device I might as well bring an actual book to read, which would be even better to read on than the Kindle. It is also much cheaper and battery life doesn’t matter. I think a Kindle is a bad middle way, it isn’t as nice as a book but it is still limited to just reading.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
To this day there hasn't been an e-reader released with a screen as clear and as sharp (I've tried them all and continue to do so).
Yeah, it’s both crazy and disappointing that the Voyage has not been improved, clarity wise, in the time since. Amazon* really do ride on their dominance in this regard. I love my Oasis 3 too much in all other regards to go back to using the Voyage, which I also have and use occasionally.

*I am aware of other e-ink readers. My first was the Sony PRS-505, then a Sony PRS 650…then Amazon dominance reigned.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
But if I am bringing another special purpose device I might as well bring an actual book to read, which would be even better to read on than the Kindle. It is also much cheaper and battery life doesn’t matter. I think a Kindle is a bad middle way, it isn’t as nice as a book but it is still limited to just reading.
The ereader vs book debate is a whole other conversation. Each has their trade-offs and I usually land on the ereader side. I can see why you prefer printed books, they are just not my first choice in most cases.

My primary use of the Kindle is at home where having another device is not a major concern. I also bring it on trips where the small size and light weight make it useful on planes and in hotel rooms. In those cases, slipping a small device into my travel bag is not an inconvenience.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, it’s both crazy and disappointing that the Voyage has not been improved, clarity wise, in the time since.

I really wish they'd do a Voyage revival with a 6.8" screen.

Would be my dream machine.

All I've ever wished were different were a slightly larger screen and the warm colored lighting.

Reactions: yegon

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The ereader vs book debate is a whole other conversation. Each has their trade-offs and I usually land on the ereader side. I can see why you prefer printed books, they are just not my first choice in most cases.

I stopped buying paper books when the only rooms in the house that didn't contain boxes of books were the bathrooms.

To me, it's no contest particularly for travel. A single book vs an entire library's worth on a device much lighter and thinner than a mass market paperback?

My primary use of the Kindle is at home where having another device is not a major concern. I also bring it on trips where the small size and light weight make it useful on planes and in hotel rooms. In those cases, slipping a small device into my travel bag is not an inconvenience.

ereaders are really useful on 16-hr transcontinental flights when there's no charging port available.

Also, I feel more comfortable using a $60-90 Paperwhite 4 poolside or at the beach versus a much pricier iPhone or iPad. Way better display under sunlight as well.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I stopped buying paper books when the only rooms in the house that didn't contain boxes of books were the bathrooms.

Sounds familiar. I moved to an early Kindle reluctantly but I no longer had anywhere to put another book. Good thing - don't know where I'd have put those 700+ books I now have on it. I generally read a half dozen books at the same time, switching among them, and that is so much easier with an e-reader. I still far prefer my iPads to my Oasis but the Kindle is a nice device.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Sounds familiar. I moved to an early Kindle reluctantly but I no longer had anywhere to put another book. Good thing - don't know where I'd have put those 700+ books I now have on it. I generally read a half dozen books at the same time, switching among them, and that is so much easier with an e-reader. I still far prefer my iPads to my Oasis but the Kindle is a nice device.

I didn't want to feed the Amazon behemoth so I was actually buying Microsoft LIT and later (when i♥cabbages developed inept), Adobe EPUB from smaller ebook sellers like Fictionwise and BooksOnBoard. I would DeDRM and convert with Calibre for consumption on the iPhone+Stanza app and the Sony PRS-350.

Of course, Apple's agency pricing kinda screwed the pooch and I did end up getting a Paperwhite eventually (wasn't a fan of the Kobo Aura HD and Glo HD). I still try to do most of my buying from Kobo though and use Calibre for format shifting.

Mind, I do also tend to use the iPad more due to support for multiple bookstores. iPads are easier to load on the fly with DRM-free content from other sources as well.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I noticed something interesting today and I’m just noting it as an observation on my own device preference. I read long parts of the same book on my 2021 12.9, Mini 6, and latest gen Oasis, switching amongst them and using different orientations. I found that I much preferred reading in landscape mode on all of the devices and liked reading on the 12.9 the best and the Oasis the least, primarily due to screen size. I’m a fast reader and read a lot (I read all 7 of the original Dune series in a week) and I wonder if the longer text lines and less page turning on the 12.9 are what make it most attractive to me and makes the Oasis the least. I never feel eye strain on any of devices, irrespective of time spent reading.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I'm interested in what people have their Kindle's set to? Found this video and would be interested in others set up? Also, the age old question: Case or no case?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I noticed something interesting today and I’m just noting it as an observation on my own device preference. I read long parts of the same book on my 2021 12.9, Mini 6, and latest gen Oasis, switching amongst them and using different orientations. I found that I much preferred reading in landscape mode on all of the devices and liked reading on the 12.9 the best and the Oasis the least, primarily due to screen size. I’m a fast reader and read a lot (I read all 7 of the original Dune series in a week) and I wonder if the longer text lines and less page turning on the 12.9 are what make it most attractive to me and makes the Oasis the least. I never feel eye strain on any of devices, irrespective of time spent reading.

That’s quite interesting, I absolutely dislike reading long lines in landscape on my 12.9 and feel most at home if I’m looking at two pages in landscape.
Do what’s best for you of course, it’s great to have choices :)

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
Kindle 10th gen is a one handed device with amazon leather case. Only other apple device that comes close is the 13 max.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
My question also applies to the mini 6; Case or no case (you might well of guessed I'm going through a "caseless device phase" at the mo)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden

I just never really understood ereaders because I find them as cumbersome as bringing a book since they are a one use case device. I personally started reading on iPads instead of actual books because that means it is more easily accessible and on trips I always have it with me.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I just never really understood ereaders because I find them as cumbersome as bringing a book since they are a one use case device. I personally started reading on iPads instead of actual books because that means it is more easily accessible and on trips I always have it with me.

Same thing with digital cameras, many people prefer dedicated one-function devices. A kindle in the size and weight of a 100g pack of chocolate that often runs for days before recharging isn’t much of a bother on my travels tbh, but as usual, good to have options!

Reactions: Tagbert and sracer

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My question also applies to the mini 6; Case or no case (you might well of guessed I'm going through a "caseless device phase" at the mo)

Case. Lack of bezels makes the mini 6 hard to hold for me.

For the Kindles and Kobos with large comfy bezels and are ~100g lighter than the mini, I go caseless. Around 200g is my limit for single-handed use.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That’s quite interesting, I absolutely dislike reading long lines in landscape on my 12.9 and feel most at home if I’m looking at two pages in landscape.
Do what’s best for you of course, it’s great to have choices :)

Same here. I don’t like having too many words per line. I feel like it breaks my concentration.

My preferred mode is 2-column landscape. On the 12.9”, I even use giant font sizes so I get roughly the same words per line as on 10-11” iPad 2-column landscape.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.