Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My wife goes through about a hundred books a year, and much prefers the Kindle over iPad. She will only reluctantly use the Kindle app on the iPad Mini, to the extent that she will carry around both the Kindle and the iPad Mini. She is not much interested in trying to explain why, when asked.:)

My wife, too. She still sticks to her Kindle 3 and I don't think she even has the app on her iPad or phone.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
But if I am bringing another special purpose device I might as well bring an actual book to read, which would be even better to read on than the Kindle. It is also much cheaper and battery life doesn’t matter. I think a Kindle is a bad middle way, it isn’t as nice as a book but it is still limited to just reading.
One Kindle holds many, many books, though. Your place is always marked. When you finish one book, you don’t have to put it away and get another one. You can read several books at the same time (not something that I do, but I know people who do), all in the same lightweight device.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I just never really understood ereaders because I find them as cumbersome as bringing a book since they are a one use case device. I personally started reading on iPads instead of actual books because that means it is more easily accessible and on trips I always have it with me.
Being able to change the font, font size, line spacing, sometimes the justification, can be very big deals for some people. With a paper book, you’re stuck with whatever is printed, no leeway at all.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Being able to change the font, font size, line spacing, sometimes the justification, can be very big deals for some people. With a paper book, you’re stuck with whatever is printed, no leeway at all.

But since they’re using iPads there’s also lots of adjustment options.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That was to someone talking about paper books.

Now you’re confusing me. The post you were quoting clearly said they’re using iPads for reading as they found ereaders as cumbersome as real books.

I merely pointed out that on an iPad they have a similar amount of font adjustment options as on an ereader.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Now you’re confusing me. The post you were quoting clearly said they’re using iPads for reading as they found ereaders as cumbersome as real books.

I merely pointed out that on an iPad they have a similar amount of font adjustment options as on an ereader.

I think that was the point though.

As far as reading novels, ereaders have the same advantages that iPads have (font/layout adjustment, instant bookmarks and syncing, ability to store thousands of books, etc). They're closer to iPads in that regard versus paper books.

The iPads' advantages are they're better for PDFs and colored materials, and browsing/search is faster thanks to the much speedier processors. They're also multifunction which may be a pro or con depending on the user.

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
I think that was the point though.

As far as reading novels, ereaders have the same advantages that iPads have (font/layout adjustment, instant bookmarks and syncing, ability to store thousands of books, etc). They're closer to iPads in that regard versus paper books.

The iPads' advantages are they're better for PDFs and colored materials, and browsing/search is faster thanks to the much speedier processors. They're also multifunction which may be a pro or con depending on the user.
Navigating around then kindle is rubbish though.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017

D32BB2F0-5E2F-4556-808C-2D0FCBD46ABB.jpeg

Reactions: ericwn

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
My question also applies to the mini 6; Case or no case (you might well of guessed I'm going through a "caseless device phase" at the mo)
I definitely put the Apple Smart Folio on mine. It’s light enough to never notice it. The front cover folds back completely to one strip that gives a nice grip in portrait.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Please do share some things that have worked for you!
I feel trapped on the attention hamster wheel

The most extreme method I've used is that I've given my router to my friend for a few days just so that I won't be tempted to browse. It's interesting how boring my computer feels without Internet. It also gives my apartment a cottage feel as it's now isolated from the wide world. Having very little data to use on the phone helps.. If one uses tethering with unlimited data then perhaps trying to have flight mode one whole day might work.To further aid the digital detox it's good to promise yourself that you won't be using any screen for that day/days.

Once I succeed with those parts it's interesting how understimulated I become. I start cleaning and doing other stuff just to not be bored. After a while, when the restlessness has subsided, it becomes more rewarding to read maybe a book or take a walk as you're just so much more focused on what you're doing. Nothing else craving your attention. Finally I enter a mode where I can taste the sweetness in even mundane events. Perhaps I find a loose screw on some furniture that I tighten up, or I fold my laundry Marie Kondo style. And it actually gives me pleasure. I would liken it to being without sugar for a month and suddenly tasting the sweetness in stuff you normally don't. Or like when you leave the loud city and visit your cabin in the woods and you hear even the snow falling and landing. Your senses become more sensitive to seemingly small sensations. It also reveals to me how "sugar like" the stimulation I get from technological devices is.

Hope this gave some ideas.

I'd also advice to read what sracer wrote about his experiences.

Good thoughts... and echo much of my experiences and successes with the role technology plays in my life. "I think the sweet spot in technological usage for me is what it was like when I grew up in the 90's." sums it up... but for me, that point in time is somewhere between the 60's and 70's. :D

I'm a "digital immigrant" (as opposed to a digital native)... I was born before technology fully enveloped life. In 1976 I had my first experience with personal computers and began my journey as a software developer. Since then, computers (and tech in general) have played a significant role in my life... but never a central one.

It wasn't until 2001 that I bought my first cellphone. To this day, I treat my smartphones basically no differently than how I used the old wall-mounted phone in the kitchen. When I'm at home, my phone sits on my desk in my office. When it rings, I make my way over to it. If I pick it up in time, great... if not, there's caller ID and there's voicemail... neither of which were available with that wall-mounted kitchen phone.

Tech companies (it's not just Apple) today want customers to have their products be the central hub of their lives. I have made a conscious effort to not fall into that trap. But they do make a convincing case for convenience and connecting the various elements of life.

For digital natives who want to break the cycle of hyper-connectedness and put technology in a more healthy perspective, I would encourage them to transition away from all-in-1, general-purpose devices and toward more specialized devices.

For example, rather than have a flagship smartphone that can replace 20 devices, get a more basic but capable phone and dedicated devices for the other tasks. I primarily use my smartphone for phone calls, texts, and navigation. That's it. Sure, I'll check out the news if I'm standing in a checkout line, but I don't live on my phone.

By diversifying devices, the person themselves becomes the hub of their lives and must make the conscious decision to do "A" or try out "B"... rather than respond to "suggestions" and "recommendations" made by social media apps.

I have a lot more to say on the topic, but I'll leave it at this for now.

This is very interesting and I'm taking time digesting these thoughts. You have a very different and fascinating perspective.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I’m a fan of the boox e-ink tablets, it’s an android operating system and you can have a kindle app but also a dozen other e-reader apps and its e-ink and provides options. You’re also not limited to the size of the amazon devices and can use them to mark up books, pdfs, eyc
I have been investigating this line of ereaders for the past few weeks, as I have been considering updating my iPad—which, honestly, I really use 90% for reading books, and websites (newspapers, magazine sites, forums like this one, etc; and to a small degree, email). I really prefer my iMac for email and any kind of actual work with writing or documents. I only use my MacBook Pro when traveling, as I just find my 27” iMac screen (and a keyboard) so much better for everything when I need to work on multiple things (or applications). As you can imagine, I haven’t traveled in nearly 2 years now!
People claim that e-ink is so much easier on the eyes, but i really don’t have a problem reading on LCD screens all day, every day. Which I do and have done for 20++ years. ?

What attracts me to e-ink is the transmissive screen tech and the (possibly) exceptional battery life. I say ‘possibly,’ because the battery life of an e-ink device seems heavily dependent upon functionality. So, reading doesn’t use a lot of battery…but anything else (such as one might do on an actual e-ink tablet with note-taking and other capabilities) requires specific software adaptations to maximize battery life.

I know I’m being long-winded here, and I hope I’m not too off-topic! I just jumped in to comment, since I have been torn between a replacement iPad Pro (initially I considered a Mini 6), or something running using e-ink. My current iPads are both slowly dying. I’ve managed to weaken the USBC connector on my iPad Pro 11 (2018) — it still charges, but I have to pay attention to make sure it connects properly. And the battery life has shortened a lot. My 2017/2018 iPad Pro 12.9 battery life has gotten really short…and it’s slow and looks and feels clunky. ? SO, I really need to replace at least one of them soon!

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2021
I’ve owned and loved the early minis for reading books but at the end of the day I moved on to using my kindle exclusively for that purpose — text on the older minis was fuzzy. Curious with this latest generation — how does the mini 6 handle text for reading vs kindle? The kindle is great but page size is tiny and if you are a fast reader you just constantly advance the pages which gets annoying after a while. I always loved the form factor of the mini but does the latest version work well as a reader?
You can shrink the size of the text by pinching, or clicking the A and finding the font size option

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have been investigating this line of ereaders for the past few weeks, as I have been considering updating my iPad—which, honestly, I really use 90% for reading books, and websites (newspapers, magazine sites, forums like this one, etc; and to a small degree, email). I really prefer my iMac for email and any kind of actual work with writing or documents. I only use my MacBook Pro when traveling, as I just find my 27” iMac screen (and a keyboard) so much better for everything when I need to work on multiple things (or applications). As you can imagine, I haven’t traveled in nearly 2 years now!
People claim that e-ink is so much easier on the eyes, but i really don’t have a problem reading on LCD screens all day, every day. Which I do and have done for 20++ years. ?

What attracts me to e-ink is the transmissive screen tech and the (possibly) exceptional battery life. I say ‘possibly,’ because the battery life of an e-ink device seems heavily dependent upon functionality. So, reading doesn’t use a lot of battery…but anything else (such as one might do on an actual e-ink tablet with note-taking and other capabilities) requires specific software adaptations to maximize battery life.

I know I’m being long-winded here, and I hope I’m not too off-topic! I just jumped in to comment, since I have been torn between a replacement iPad Pro (initially I considered a Mini 6), or something running using e-ink. My current iPads are both slowly dying. I’ve managed to weaken the USBC connector on my iPad Pro 11 (2018) — it still charges, but I have to pay attention to make sure it connects properly. And the battery life has shortened a lot. My 2017/2018 iPad Pro 12.9 battery life has gotten really short…and it’s slow and looks and feels clunky. ? SO, I really need to replace at least one of them soon!
Great post!

Those USB C ports really loosen up over the life of the device. I have an M1 iPad Pro 11 right now but when I got rid of my 2018 iPad Pro 11 it was so loose it would just fall out.

I am tempted to try the new Kindle but ... what's keeping me from going Kindle is that more and more books I buy these days (I prefer History books) have more and more high def photos that look AMAZING on the 11 Pro screen. I imagine wouldn't look so great on e-ink. But I'm tempted. Doesn't help that in 2018 I moved my entire Kindle library to Apple Books and have been using Apple Books since (now 360+ books). I wish I had stayed Amazon because the Kindle app on iPad is so much better than Apple Books.

I don't regret my M1 iPad Pro 11 at all. I'm using it now more than ever - racking up battery cycles like crazy while my reading has 2-3xed and continues to climb. An iCarez screen protector, brightness down - just as good. And on the weekends when I go to the university with my wife, I can use it as a laptop with a mouse/keyboard. But I use my iPad mostly for reading (news, books, forums, etc).

What's nice is -- the cost of the Kindle? It's so cheap (vs an M1 iPad Pro) that you can add it to your devices without hurting the bank all that much. I'm tempted. But then I think how many books I could buy for $139 and how I prefer my iPad, lol.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I am tempted to try the new Kindle but ... what's keeping me from going Kindle is that more and more books I buy these days (I prefer History books) have more and more high def photos that look AMAZING on the 11 Pro screen. I imagine wouldn't look so great on e-ink.
Photos do not look good on a Kindle. Only 16-level grayscale, and seem washed out. You can tell what is in the photo, but that's about it.
The Kindle experience is for text.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Hard to beat the apple folio even if overpriced, have tried the cheaper esr, moko etc, do the job but not the same feel and slimness.
I bought nice leather and wood folio/cases for my iPads on Etsy. They’ve been great and lasted a few years now. They have magnets and wake/sleep the iPads when open/closed. initially did use Apple Smart Covers, but ultimately, I really don’t like the way they support the iPad for reading Or watching video. I can’t really describe it, but the angle created by the folded cover is too low for long term comfortable reading for me. I prefer a sort of ‘flip-and-”A” position with the long leaf positionEd under the standing iPad. It is like having an easel. This also deals with any weight issues of holding an iPad for hours on end when reading! And I can still flip it around to create a low angle for typing when I want to. Though, often, I’ll type with the screen in the upright ‘easel’ position, like I’m doing right now (iPad 11”).

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Great post!

Those USB C ports really loosen up over the life of the device. I have an M1 iPad Pro 11 right now but when I got rid of my 2018 iPad Pro 11 it was so loose it would just fall out.

I am tempted to try the new Kindle but ... what's keeping me from going Kindle is that more and more books I buy these days (I prefer History books) have more and more high def photos that look AMAZING on the 11 Pro screen. I imagine wouldn't look so great on e-ink. But I'm tempted. Doesn't help that in 2018 I moved my entire Kindle library to Apple Books and have been using Apple Books since (now 360+ books). I wish I had stayed Amazon because the Kindle app on iPad is so much better than Apple Books.

I don't regret my M1 iPad Pro 11 at all. I'm using it now more than ever - racking up battery cycles like crazy while my reading has 2-3xed and continues to climb. An iCarez screen protector, brightness down - just as good. And on the weekends when I go to the university with my wife, I can use it as a laptop with a mouse/keyboard. But I use my iPad mostly for reading (news, books, forums, etc).

What's nice is -- the cost of the Kindle? It's so cheap (vs an M1 iPad Pro) that you can add it to your devices without hurting the bank all that much. I'm tempted. But then I think how many books I could buy for $139 and how I prefer my iPad, lol.
LOL! All great points! Well, in my case, I know what I’ve done to hasten the demise of the USB-C port, which is that I (more often than not) yank the usb connector out of the iPad. I have grown so complacent with my tablets, that where I used to baby them, I treat them more like notebooks. And, truly, my iPads have been nearly indestructible in the past! I think it is true that the Lightning connector IS sturdier and more durable than USB-C. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer USB-C - everything, as it just simplifies my life! But, I have never had a Lightning port start to loosen the way that this USB port has. And I still have an ancient 2014 (maybe 2013?) iPad Air—the first iteration. That thing still is fully functional AND the Lightning port is in perfect condition. The battery is shot…and maybe gets 5 hours runtime when reading now ?. That was my main iPad until 2017-18 when I got the 12.9 and the 11.

I do agree that the low price of a Kindle compared to an iPad does recommend one as an additional device. And the fact that they can go so many more hours before needing a recharge. I generally get around 12 - 14 hours on my iPad if I’m reading a book(s) using a low light setting (though not browsing the web!). Which is still less than half the time a kindle can offer.

I also use Calibre, and it is great for organization, and reformatting (and de-DRM of books). I periodically download, export, and import into Calibre all of my Kindle book purchases so that I can convert them to epub and mobi, and organize my collection. I’m a little behind with this right now, as I do usually use the kindle app on my iPads for reading.

Oh, and Apple Books…is just horrible. It’s like iTunes for Mac. ? I guess Apple realized after the Agency Pricing debacle/lawsuit that they were never going to displace Amazon (or even Kobo!) and kind of turned their attention away from Books pretty much permanently.

Oh, I meant to mention earlier, one reason I haven’t replaced the 11” iPad, is that I really want a Mini-LED screen version, which I imagine will be the next revision for this model. I love my current 12.9”, but it really is large. Generally not my first choice for reading books—though I LOVE it for web browsing.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I’ve been reading everyone’s comments with great interest and finally was able to get an iPad mini 6 to directly compare to my Kindle Oasis. For me, the iPad is just so much better for reading! It is really not much bigger than the Kindle and I do not notice the weight difference at all. In my hands the mini is easier to hold than the Oasis, where I’ve grown tired of the buttons, the wedge design, and the slow page turning. Mostly I am crazy in love with the additional screen real estate! I feel I can now read normally instead of constantly pounding the page turns (I read very quickly). It just feels faster, brighter, more modern, easier to hold, even easier on the eyes. Not to mention seeing photographs in books! By comparison the Kindle Oasis seems like old, tired, slow tech. And it is a tiny tiny screen for a hard core reader. i am not experiencing any eye strain at all and I‘m not sure the eInk advantage really applies when compared to the clarity of this new screen. Text is infinitely more readable. Yes i will keep the Kindle for the beach and bright sun situations but I do believe the Oasis is overpriced for the single function it performs. They charges a premium for it for the marginally bigger screen vs the other Kindles. The mini is awesome for reading and it does so many other things too! Yes it is another thing to keep charged up — the Kindle has awesome battery life. But apart from that advantage I think the mini is just infinitely better in every way. And as a multifunction device it is a wonderfully portable companion to my iPad 12.9 2021 pro. I’m so glad I took the plunge! And at least so far I am not falling victim to doom scrolling and distraction while reading books. I stay focused and the device disappears in my hands and feels like a book. I never felt that way about the kindle — I was always very aware of the form factor, screen dullness, and so on. Anyway — I’m so happy with my choice! I’m in love!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’ve been reading everyone’s comments with great interest and finally was able to get an iPad mini 6 to directly compare to my Kindle Oasis. For me, the iPad is just so much better for reading! It is really not much bigger than the Kindle and I do not notice the weight difference at all. In my hands the mini is easier to hold than the Oasis, where I’ve grown tired of the buttons, the wedge design, and the slow page turning. Mostly I am crazy in love with the additional screen real estate! I feel I can now read normally instead of constantly pounding the page turns (I read very quickly). It just feels faster, brighter, more modern, easier to hold, even easier on the eyes. Not to mention seeing photographs in books! By comparison the Kindle Oasis seems like old, tired, slow tech. And it is a tiny tiny screen for a hard core reader. i am not experiencing any eye strain at all and I‘m not sure the eInk advantage really applies when compared to the clarity of this new screen. Text is infinitely more readable. Yes i will keep the Kindle for the beach and bright sun situations but I do believe the Oasis is overpriced for the single function it performs. They charges a premium for it for the marginally bigger screen vs the other Kindles. The mini is awesome for reading and it does so many other things too! Yes it is another thing to keep charged up — the Kindle has awesome battery life. But apart from that advantage I think the mini is just infinitely better in every way. And as a multifunction device it is a wonderfully portable companion to my iPad 12.9 2021 pro. I’m so glad I took the plunge! And at least so far I am not falling victim to doom scrolling and distraction while reading books. I stay focused and the device disappears in my hands and feels like a book. I never felt that way about the kindle — I was always very aware of the form factor, screen dullness, and so on. Anyway — I’m so happy with my choice! I’m in love!

My experience exactly. Glad it works for you.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Great post. Thanks. I am so trying to prefer the mini 6 to my Oasis but not so far...Maybe I'm struggling with the settings?
I find the Oasis easier to hold. I like the "bump" on the back and the bottom presses. I usually turn the settings to white on black when in bed. Have tried the mini 6 with the yellow page (can't remember what it's called?) and the lights turned down but still prefer the Oasis.

As I say, I really want to get used to the mini and might put my Oasis away for a week to give it a proper try. Can you post the settings you are using on your mini? And are you using a case? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.