Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
are there any rumors or anything if apple will continue with the iPad mini line in the future? I would love to see another edition that lessens the jelly scroll and fixes the UI to be more mini friendly. This is the perfect size for me and my usage. Would it be a few years for them to put out a new one?

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I’d love a mini 7! If the pattern follows, it will be another 3-4 years. Hopefully they’ll see the demand of the mini 6 and maybe debut a mini 7 sooner this time? Wishful thinking……

Reactions: UnknownIdaho

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
are there any rumors or anything if apple will continue with the iPad mini line in the future? I would love to see another edition that lessens the jelly scroll and fixes the UI to be more mini friendly. This is the perfect size for me and my usage. Would it be a few years for them to put out a new one?
I am sure they’ll continue to update the mini. Since the mini follows the ipad air to T, I assume it’ll also update on year and a half schedule—assuming the air gets an update in spring 2022.

I would love a refresh by next fall for the exact same reasons as you, but my guess is we’ll see the mini 7 in spring of 2023 at the earliest or in fall 2023 or later if we’re unlucky.

The UI will only get addressed in future iPadOS updates, if they ever bother to adjust it specifically for the mini ?. The design refresh was much needed from Apple, but the mini still feels like an afterthought for them in the ipad lineup.

Last edited:

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I would expect an update every 2-3 years. About the jellyscroll issue, they might switch back the video controller to landscape like the Air and previous Mini 5. All the other 60Hz iPads have jellyscroll in landscape, but it doesn’t seem to cause as much controversy.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I think they‘ll continue with the mini line.

It‘s worth noting how the iPad mini received all of the latest tech (5G mobile data, Apple A15), whereas the recently released 9th gen iPad only got an A13 processor and a 4G option. Even the iPad Air is still on 4G and an A14 chip.

I think they may done this because they‘re planning on keeping it longer in their product lineup, on a longer, 2-3 year update cycle. Kind of similar to when they put their most recent A12 in the previous generation iPad minis.

As such, the iPad mini can likely be (more or less) offered „on par“ with a 2022 5th generation iPad Air release. And the low-cost iPad will probably only catch up to the mini no earlier than (likely in fall before the holiday season) 2023.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I also guess that the mini line will continue, maybe we’ll see an update in 2023.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The UI is an iPadOS issue and won't be fixed by a newer device.

Whether Apple updates the Mini depends on how well the current Mini sells.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
As such, the iPad mini can likely be (more or less) offered „on par“ with a 2022 5th generation iPad Air release. And the low-cost iPad will probably only catch up to the mini no earlier than (likely in fall before the holiday season) 2023.

I think the Mini is more or less on-par with the 2020 Air, because the downclocked A15 runs slower than the Air’s A14 in single core. Although the Mini has better GPU performance and a better front-facing camera.

It will be interesting the see if the Air 5 gets A15, if it does it will likely run at full-speed. It is also possible it will get A16 instead, which would see a bigger performance boost over the Mini 6.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I didn't notice any jsing when I tried out the latest Air. Previous Airs aren't relevant since they had different display hardware.
Yes it’s there, but it’s a case of whether you see it or not. The relative position of the display controller will determine whether the panel jellyscrolls in landscape or portrait. Like the Mini 6, it’s a question of whether you spot it or not, and if you do - whether it matters.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes it’s there, but it’s a case of whether you see it or not. The relative position of the display controller will determine whether the panel jellyscrolls in landscape or portrait. Like the Mini 6, it’s a question of whether you spot it or not, and if you do - whether it matters.
There are also varying degrees of it, which are determined by the quality of the display and its controller.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
At this point it's reasonable to expect the air and the mini to come at alternate years, air in 2022, mini in 2023 and so on. Mini is not going anywhere. There was a reason why they waited so long between the mini 4 and 5, they explained it in an interview some time ago, but the mini is definitely part of the line for the foreseeable future.
The base iPad will remain on a yearly cycle, while the pro should be on a 18 month cycle and use the same chip as the Mac (which aligns with expectations of a M2 coming in fall 2022, no earlier).
The air will probably move to 128GB storage and 6GB RAM. Unlikely to get a better screen, at least until the 11 is updated, which will be next fall, unless they are released at the same time.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I think the Mini is more or less on-par with the 2020 Air, because the downclocked A15 runs slower than the Air’s A14 in single core.
Performance-wise that may very well be.

I think it rather comes down to marketing though (A15>A14, irrespective of actual performance).

And, possibly, enhancements in instruction sets and the included dedicated “engines” in more recent CPUs, which may mean a longer support cycle, and sometimes even features (such as camera features that weren’t actually realised in the camera optics ir electronics but in software instead). In a way, that’s also marketing ;)

Ryatzu

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Next version will take a while and i do not think it will get major upgrades. If you do not have a ipad mini yet them get one now and sell it if a next version comes out.

Reactions: Vinigv

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I'm thinking the next Mini will mostly be a spec bump, like new processor and more RAM. Hopefully ProMotion and/or Quad Speakers, but that's doubtful. If we're lucky, it'll be out in the Spring of 2023. More likely Spring of 2024.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'm thinking the next Mini will mostly be a spec bump, like new processor and more RAM. Hopefully ProMotion and/or Quad Speakers, but that's doubtful. If we're lucky, it'll be out in the Spring of 2023. More likely Spring of 2024.
More RAM is what the mini really needs. I have found the mini 6 for 350 but I am not buying it, I am not bying a 4GB iPad anymore. At this point 6GB should be the bare minimum to avoid too many reloading and be somewhat future proof... I am confident we'll have a mini 7 somewhere in 2023

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
More RAM is what the mini really needs. I have found the mini 6 for 350 but I am not buying it, I am not bying a 4GB iPad anymore. At this point 6GB should be the bare minimum to avoid too many reloading and be somewhat future proof... I am confident we'll have a mini 7 somewhere in 2023
Hoping you're right. I might wait for it just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.