Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Only the iPad 4 beats it at 1700+. It even beat the iPad 3 which was 720.
The ram is 512 vs 1gb for the 3&4.

Pretty impressed with that score. The mini first gen will satisfy me for sure...at least until 2.0. You guys?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Only the iPad 4 beats it at 1700+. It even beat the iPad 3 which was 720.
The ram is 512 vs 1gb for the 3&4.

Pretty impressed with that score. The mini first gen will satisfy me for sure...at least until 2.0. You guys?

I saw that too! Just makes me that much more excited for mine to get here....

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Could you post the link? Interested in the read, otherwise this is pretty interesting.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
I've been pounding Nexus 7 defenders down since the iPad Mini release.. But it doesn't help my argument when the Nexus 7 got a 1493, almost double the iPad Mini's GeekBench score... :confused:

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
The a5 and a5x both have the CPU, dual core a9s. The a5 in the mini is probably built on the 32nm fabs. The a5 and a5x in the original ipad2 and ipad3 are built on the 45nm fabs. The 32nm fabbed a5 might be clocked a bit higher. The 32nm will also use a lot less power and the battery life will be greatly increased.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I've been pounding Nexus 7 defenders down since the iPad Mini release.. But it doesn't help my argument when the Nexus 7 got a 1493, almost double the iPad Mini's GeekBench score... :confused:

Yeah - I have a Nexus 7 (and I've ordered 2 Mini's) and my Geekbench scores for the N7 are in the 1400s. Hmmm. If it's noticeably slower than the N7 with a worse screen I'm not convinced I'll be keeping it iOS ecosystem or not.

That said my iPhone 5 scores are around the 1600 mark and my S3 scores in the 1800 mark and the iPhone still runs noticeably faster. The combination of software and hardware is winning that race I think.

Might be time to go for the cellular 32GB Nexus 7 at £239 though if this isn't repeated in the N7/Mini race.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah - I have a Nexus 7 (and I've ordered 2 Mini's) and my Geekbench scores for the N7 are in the 1400s. Hmmm. If it's noticeably slower than the N7 with a worse screen I'm not convinced I'll be keeping it iOS ecosystem or not.

That said my iPhone 5 scores are around the 1600 mark and my S3 scores in the 1800 mark and the iPhone still runs noticeably faster. The combination of software and hardware is winning that race I think.

Might be time to go for the cellular 32GB Nexus 7 at £239 though if this isn't repeated in the N7/Mini race.

The nexus 7 has that score with a quad core and is still lower than the new iPad with a dual core. So that means nothing, also my nexus is significantly laggy in some instances where I know iOS won't be. Android is just a mess and why I want to go back to iOS with the mini.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My only concern is the confirmation of 512mb ram .

I really want the smaller form factor, performance I know should match my iPad (early 2012) give or take, and i can handle the drop from retina to non, but the 512mb worries me. I'm not sure if I want to go back to checkerboarding and reloading web pages & apps.

The new 12.5 hour battery life is remarkable given its size though.

The Verge's review is equally as glowing....

The iPad mini is an excellent tablet — but it's not a very cheap one. Whether that's by design, or due to market forces beyond Apple's control, I can't say for sure. I can't think of another company that cares as much about how its products are designed and built — or one that knows how to maximize a supply chain as skillfully — so something tells me it's no accident that this tablet isn't selling for $200. It doesn't feel like Apple is racing to some lowest-price bottom — rather it seems to be trying to raise the floor.

And it does raise the floor here. There's no tablet in this size range that's as beautifully constructed, works as flawlessly, or has such an incredible software selection. Would I prefer a higher-res display? Certainly. Would I trade it for the app selection or hardware design? For the consistency and smoothness of its software, or reliability of its battery? Absolutely not. And as someone who's been living with (and loving) Google's Nexus 7 tablet for a few months, I don't say that lightly.

The iPad mini hasn't wrapped up the "cheapest tablet" market by any stretch of the imagination. But the "best small tablet" market? Consider it captured.

I'm encouraged that other than loading times neither the Verge or Engadget mention my demons (checker-boarding)

Last edited:

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008

Geekbench is good, but not a perfect test of performance. No one benchmark is, as different hardware excels at different things, which is why decent review sites try to run a variety of tools so you can spot overall trends. When one device is consistently higher across multiple tests, there's a clear winner. Often, however, closely-matched devices will flip-flop in performance showing a fairly even match. It's really difficult to evaluate real-world performance synthetically.

Numbers for the iPad 2 should set a floor for what the iPad mini will do, and I'm sure a thorough review will give us new numbers this week.

For example, Google's Octane Javascript tests show the Nexus 7 at 1392 beating the iPad 2's 896.

But on Sunspider 0.9.1 (lower is better):
Kindle Fire HD: 1794
Nexus 7: 1757
iPad 2: 1706

And Linpack (higher is better):
Kindle Fire HD: 51.5
Nexus 7: 48
iPad 2: 90.3

And of course, the Nexus 7's GPU is simply no match for the iPad 2's. There's really nothing to worry about. The CPUs are roughly equivalent, and the iPad mini's GPU trounces the Tegra 3, so until the Nexus 7 gets an update, the iPad mini is going to be in the same leading position for performance.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The nexus 7 has that score with a quad core and is still lower than the new iPad with a dual core. So that means nothing, also my nexus is significantly laggy in some instances where I know iOS won't be. Android is just a mess and why I want to go back to iOS with the mini.
Wow. Thats quite a deflection there. The Mini uses recycled parts 2 generations old and benchmarks at only 751 so your response is to compare the $199 Nexus with the $499 iPad4?

Ive got two iPad Minis on order so I'm extremely excited for the form factor, but I'm not going to pretend the speed isnt going to be a concern for both current and longterm usage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Benchmarks are nice but they're not the deciding factor. I recall one of my android phones getting high marks, but the overall feel of the phone was a tad sluggish.

As long as it does what I want it to, I'll be happy :)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
More nonsense about specs.

Sure the Nexus scores a higher geekbench score or whatever it is.

But can I make a song of Garageband with it?

Can I play Letterpress or Infinity Blade on it?

Does it work with my phone seamlessly with PhotoStream etc?

Android phones have always had better specs, doesn't mean anything.

The iPad Mini can do more, it has better apps, it is premium hardware and the software experience is (mostly) great.

But oh no! The Nexus 7 gets a better score on some test that most people don't even know exists
. :rolleyes:

The Nexus 7 is by far the best Android tablet there is, and it will continue to get better. My brother has one and loves it. It's smoother than any other Android device I have used, its reliable and well built, but they aren't at iPad level.... yet.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The a5 and a5x both have the CPU, dual core a9s. The a5 in the mini is probably built on the 32nm fabs. The a5 and a5x in the original ipad2 and ipad3 are built on the 45nm fabs. The 32nm fabbed a5 might be clocked a bit higher. The 32nm will also use a lot less power and the battery life will be greatly increased.

Yeah, did you see the folks getting specs out of that site (enter serial, returns build info)? The clock speed indicated when using a Mini serial was ~1.23Ghz

That may wind up being accurate if we're seeing a little increase in the Mini over the iPad2/3 in these [CPU] benchmarks.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Simple reason- The ipad 3's screen is much higher rez.
The mini is like watching standard def.
I'll wait the extra half a second for a quality image.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
What this really means though is that software support should stick around for the Mini for a while. Unless Apple decides to drop the iPad 3 early for whatever reason, the mini is in the same performance class.

But I think Apple tends to drop devices based on how long they have been off the shelves rather than specs though since they kept the 3GS on iOS 6 but dropped the same specced iPod Touch 3rd gen.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

Comparing the Nexus 7 to the new iPad isn't even a proper comparison as they aren't in the same class or price range. You should be comparing the newly announced Nexus 10 with the new iPad with dual core. Not saying daily user experience won't be different between the two, but that is a more fitting comparison.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Comparing the Nexus 7 to the new iPad isn't even a proper comparison as they aren't in the same class or price range. You should be comparing the newly announced Nexus 10 with the new iPad with dual core. Not saying daily user experience won't be different between the two, but that is a more fitting comparison.

Even Android fans aren't pleased with the Nexus 10. Have you seen the hideous bezel on that thing?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.