Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Simple reason- The ipad 3's screen is much higher rez.
The mini is like watching standard def.
I'll wait the extra half a second for a quality image.

Standard def is 640 x 480. The mini is 1024 x 768 and that is much more then standard def.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Have you seen the hideous bezel on that thing?!

nexus-10-tablet.jpg

ipad%204.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Standard def is 640 x 480. The mini is 1024 x 768 and that is much more then standard def.

I don't believe he meant "standard def" as in the NTSC resolution spec, but as a reference for comparison.

I'd kind of agree: iPad 1/2 to iPad 3/4 is like SD to HD (well, maybe like ED 480p to HD 1080p :) ), at least in terms of text content. To be honest, for video on a small device, it's about the same!

Same goes for many games, educational apps, that's why I think the Mini is still outstanding, even if the Retina models are noticeably better in several use cases (it even has a decent PPI bump over the iPad 1/2).

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not a big fan of the bezel on the iPad either. And maybe I'm just not looking at the leaked photos and comparing them to the real photos. The leaked photos made the front of the Nexus 10 look like garbage.

I'm just stating the bezel between the two is very similar (and no I have not measured them). So it isn't like the Nexus 10 has this huge bezel and the iPad doesn't. They both do.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
I'm just stating the bezel between the two is very similar (and no I have not measured them). So it isn't like the Nexus 10 has this huge bezel and the iPad doesn't. They both do.

I don't recall me ever saying "I like the iPad bezel and I don't like the Nexus 10 bezel because the iPad one looks better".

No, I just said I wasn't a fan of the way the Nexus 10 looked on the front. Calm down.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I don't recall me ever saying "I like the iPad bezel and I don't like the Nexus 10 bezel because the iPad one looks better".

No, I just said I wasn't a fan of the way the Nexus 10 looked on the front. Calm down.

So you also don't like the way the iPad looks on the front? Or any tablet for that matter?

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
So you also don't like the way the iPad looks on the front? Or any tablet for that matter?

Honestly, I have a 15" laptop so I don't need a larger tablet, I sold my iPad 2 and ordered a Mini because of the size. After looking at the Mini so much my eyes have adjusted to the size of it's bezel i suppose, making the iPad and N10 bezels look larger. Even before the mini though, I always wondered why Apple or anyone never made the bezels thinner. They'd be much more attractive. Are you a tablet salesman? You seem awfully flustered and offended about this lolol

Listen I'm not getting into anything with you. I'm just gonna go back to the main thread I'm involved in with the other non-pissy users that aren't jumping down other's throats. Peace

Last edited:

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003

Do you really not see a difference between the two? One looks good, the other looks terrible. They aren't the same just because they have rounded corners.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hell no it's not.

Yes it is. It allows you to hold the iPad without covering the screen. I know that Apple has the finger rejection software, but that doesn't help when you have to make an input where your thumb is. The Mini is different because you will likely hold it by the fingertips, not the way you currently hold the full iPad.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Not sure if serious, but I like your sarcasm.

My question is why are you on this MacRumors forum if your objective is to just backup Android products and say they're better? There are some android products out there that trump Apple but quit being a troll man, seriously.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
My question is why are you on this MacRumors forum if your objective is to just backup Android products and say they're better? There are some android products out there that trump Apple but quit being a troll man, seriously.

My objective is not to backup Android products. I have been on here a lot longer than you have.

Also I'm not being a troll. That distinction goes to you who made a big deal about a bezel size on the Nexus 10 when the iPad has the same type of bezel on its product.

I appreciate your who-ra-ra for what it is, a lot of smoke.

Once again:

Have you seen the hideous bezel on that thing?!

nexus-10-tablet.jpg

ipad%204.jpg

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
The Mini uses recycled parts 2 generations old
I'm not understanding the logic here. The A5X that you're counting as a generation is actually just an A5 with more GPU cores--there's no iterative change in technology there. The Tegra 3 is just as old as the A5. It's just moved down market, just like the A5.
Ive got two iPad Minis on order so I'm extremely excited for the form factor, but I'm not going to pretend the speed isnt going to be a concern for both current and longterm usage.
Do you have the same concern about the Nexus 7? Because it is bested by the iPad 2 in overall performance despite arriving on the market almost a year and a half later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.